Jade Goody - Cancer

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by smelly, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I've done a search but although she's mentioned in a few threads (celebs I don't like being the primary one!) there doesn't seem to be anything specifically about her illness...

Now I don't particularly like her, never have really, watched the first BB and that was about it. I do buy some magazines that she's mentioned in but not to read about her, primarily for the fashion - and not hers!!

Anyway, my initial reaction when I knew she was ill was sympathy, same with anyone who you hear is dying/could be dying. No matter your feelings about them you have to feel for them. Then the more I read about her interviews in the Sun etc I got angry, I thought for gods sake just stop with the paparazzi thing and get some dignity.

But then I read an article in the paper today (Times not the sun :D) where the columnist successfully put the point across that Jade is a celebrity of our making. Ok so not maybe me specifically, but the country as a whole. She's only famous because we made her so. She didn't win the lottery, she has no skill, but when she was on BB we all had something to say about her - good or bad. We read the papers, read the stories on the net, laughed at her chaviness and generally thought her fair game to take the michael. Now she's ill we feel a bit uncomfortable and wish she would go away and die quietly. Now we can't laugh at her, or take the mickey she has no real use.

It made me think that maybe she's right. I was quite happy to put her down when she was healthy and just stupid. Now she's not well I don't feel comfortable doing that, but equally don't seem to have enough respect for her to stand up and say 'she doesn't deserve it'.

I just wondered what everyone else felt - have I just been taken in by a good bit of journalism or is the columnist right in what she says? A broken toy that we no longer want to play with........

2. montybaber

montybaber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Never really liked her but i am really sad to hear what she is going through, another reminder to live life one day at a time :(

3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,600
    If that is the same article I am thinking of, then yes some people do need to have some decency

A minor point which I think is right as echoed in one of the comments made - she is a celebrity made from the few women who buy those ridiculous magazines (in the sense that they are self-styled judges of people. I don't walk down the street pointing at strangers so quite why glossy magazines do it I do not know, or understand the attraction)

4. reddevil63

reddevil63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    I personally don't like her but don't wish cancer on her or anyone else. Awful disease.

5. danuk

danuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    My sentiments exactly. It was starting to get quite annoying seeing her in every paper, every day until something she had said was pointed out to me. This was that she was selling her story as much as possible in order to make as much money possible for her childrens future, in case the cancer kills her.
    Fair play to her.

6. Curry Monster

Curry Monster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Well thats how come shes a millionaire already....

However I dont understand why we all have to have all the 'ins and outs' of what she is having done...surely if she is that ill its a personal and family matter that we have no interest in.

Obviously I dont wish her any ill but in the same breath I wish she would stop forcing her illness updates on everyone else in the uk that reads a paper or website.

There is I am sure thousands of other people in the uk going through the same thing quitely without resorting to updating the papers daily.

She is only famous for being famous (and a racist) I wish she would do us all a favour and have some dignity and keep her problems to herself as I for one dont want to know.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2009
  7. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,960
    This is a fair assessment but I can't help but feel for the many people who are suffering from the same terrible illnesses as Jade Goody who don't have this option.

But if I was in her position and I had the option, I would almost certainly do the same.

8. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,704
    To be fair to her, she is only doing this to get as much money as she can, so that if she dies her family are not going to be in trouble financially.

So sad at such a young age.

9. Curry Monster

Curry Monster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Havent seen any mention of any of her 'fees' going to cancer charities - surely she has enough set by for her kids as it is. She could use her voice however we feel about her to help other sufferers that as has been said cannot do the same...

10. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,960
    From what I've seen of Jade, I'd question how much money she had actually put away prior to her illness. If she does charity work as well then so much the better.

11. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241
    I think all the publicity surrounding Jade Goody is good for cancer sufferers everywhere.

Everybody gets cancer, not just the people we like.

12. whiskyboozer

whiskyboozer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Don't you lot know-nothing is real anymore unless you do it in front of a camera (and get paid for it)

13. kopchoir

kopchoir
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,455
    If she is a product of us then why are we moaning that she is in the newspapers.
    Personally after seeing family,friends(who are around the same age as jade)die from cancer and the hundreds through work its a most dispicable illness to live with knowing your dying.

Now i have much sympathy with her not because she has cancer but because she wont see the most precious things in life grow up and they in turn will grow up without a mother which is the saddest of it all.

You cant beat certain cancers they get you in the end beat it once and it will be back in some form or another horrible horrible disease

kop

14. kentish_lad

kentish_lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192

Yes it is sad at her age, but how much of her time is she spending fueling the media circus aided and abetted by Max Clifford with a film crew stuck in her face, so no i dont believe 'im doing this for my kids' because if she was, she would be spending that valuable time with them. How many hours a day do the kids see her?
    For her to publically say its for the money that is obscene.

If she did it another way and campained for Cancer awareness and all money earned would go into Cancer charities the country would be behind her.

Visiting my friend in a hospice the other day i was struck by the total devotion and kindness of the staff, i got talking to a nurse who was working there on a voluntary basis, i asked her how she coped doing a job like that, she replied 'i do it for freebecause its an honor', now that really touched me and it was plain to see the hospice relied totally on charible gifts and their own fund raising.

Seems strange that 2 years ago the media wouldnt touch her but now the £££ signs are flashing their way its a different story, money money money, to me it doesnt give us cancer awareness it degrades it.
    Sorry for the rant

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  15. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    As others have said, it's a real shame for anyone to suffer from this horrible disease. Especially as she has young children.

However, that doesn't change the fact that Jade Goody is a celebrity anomaly that I detest with a passion. Not her personally, she's simply taking advantage of the position she's been put in by the "celebrity" hungry readers of crap magazines.

I find it hilarious when people buy these magazines just to denigrate the useless celebs in them, they wouldn't have an ounce of fame if these people didn't buy the magazines.:rolleyes:

16. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Because that is the nature of the British. We make heroes out of people then chuck them out just as quickly. We watch programmes on the TV with people in it that we claim not to like then spend the rest of our lives complaining about it.

The British public are either so stupid that we happily digest anything that the media give us or else the media are clever enough to know what it is that the public want and give it to us.

If this girl is a millionaire with no talent whatsoever then good on her because she's sussed that we are stupid enough to throw money at such a talentless person and I wonder how many of the people complaining are subconsciously envious because they are equally talentless but without her resourcefullness.

17. johntheexpat

johntheexpat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    I think part of the problem is that no-one likes having this kind of thing thrust upon them. But from time to time it has to be done, to raise awareness if nothing else.
    How many people now are more aware of the symptoms of her particular cancer, or are now worried enough to get other symptoms checked out? Hopefully thousands and the earlier their disease is caught the better for everyone. A very public death may well be enough to scare us all into looking after ourselves better and thus benefit us all. And all because of someone nobody likes. There is a kind of fabulous irony there.

In a similar vein, nobody seems to like the McCanns much, but I am willing to bet that even now people are that much more careful about their youngsters. So another example of misfortune on people we don't seem to particularly like, being raised to a very high profile to benefit us all.

Good luck Jane.

18. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    She said she's talking about her ordeal everywhere she can to get as much money as she can for her kids' future.
    For anyone who questions this, tell me, why the hell would she bother earning cash for herself when she knows she's got just months to live??

I cannot start to imagine how it feels to know you are going to die soon and then know that your babies will grow up without their mummy, that you won't be there to kiss them better when they fall, that you won't be there to help them in their life etc.
    I can however imagine I would do whatever is in my power to ensure they would have as little worries as possible for the forseeable future and anyone who pretends they'd do things differently I believe are either lying or very naive. Because others can't get on TV to earn this money would be the least of my worries.

Bear in mind that work will possibly also be a way to keep her sanity and believe it or not, it will raise awareness to the illness.

I don't like or dislike Jade Goody, but I feel sorry for her and her family because it's a horrible thing that's happening to her. And I kind of loose faith in humanity when people can still manage to be cold hearted when talking about her situation.
    She didn't become "famous" by herself yet people resent her for it and for making the most of it as if anyone in their right mind presented with a big cheque and "fame" would say "no sorry, I'd rather work my 9 till 5 at my office" :rolleyes:

19. Loftusrd1980

Loftusrd1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Exactly my position. Shame she has cancer, but why in this country are people obsessed with this king of "celebrity"

20. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    Because when you have someone to laugh at it makes you feel better about your own life. It's the people you love to hate.

PS: I don't buy those magasines and don't follow the lives of celebrities because I don't care but I do feel sorry when they get ill. Same with Patrick Swayze, but he doesn't get labelled in the same way as Jade despite doing pretty much the same as her.

21. the boots man

the boots man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    i've never liked jade goody but i hope she pulls though, i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. people on another forum have said what has happened to her is *karma* for her bullying of shilpa on celebrity big brother, that is just sick in my opinion

22. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    Just like that earthquake was karma for the chinese according to Sharon Stone. You can't stop idiots coming out with nasty remarks.

23. Bill Hicks

Bill Hicks
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,590
    I may not particularly like Jade Goody simply because she has absolutely no talent and it rattles my brain as to how she has become so famous (and wealthy?) for doing nothing apart from appearing in a succession of crap reality TV shows!

But I am still human and I wish her well with her ongoing battle against cancer.

24. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    I was never a fan of Jade Goodie (she used to annoy the hell out of me when she was on BB) but I always thought she did well out of the big brother situation and fair play to her. Jade has made the most cash out off all the BB contestants and she never even won BB. Then she did the Celb BB and my views of her changed. She showed her self to be a bitter racist, a bully and this disgusted me.

At first I thought all this cancer business was another way to bring Jade back into the limelight. I must admit it has crossed my mind if her cancer is as bad as they say or is this just a massive publicity stunt. :confused:

The public seem to of forgotten her vial bullying racist ways and have again accepted her with open arms due to this illness. Its amazing what can be achieved with the right story. :rolleyes:

I wonder if Max Clifford could make Hitler look good? ;)

Edit: I cant believe I just spent 5 minutes of my time typing about Jade Goodie. :suicide:

25. WHUFC

WHUFC
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    You cant blame her for being a celebrity, its all the idiots who do expensive text messages to the TV companies to keep someone in or not that then feed the celebs.

She got famous for being in BB and then more famous for being a 'racist' bully; even though Coolio was worse! But forgot he's black bullying a white girl, she's a white girl bullying a Pakistani girl; thats not racist...

Poor girl is going to die and her two kids will grow up without a mother and bad press reports of her being a numb racist. Not good at all for them, money or no money.

26. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    Yes I'm sure she's over the moon now that people don't hate her as much, life couldn't be better! :rolleyes:

27. biggles1958

biggles1958

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    never liked her - but i would never wish cancer on anyone

if even the slightest thing she does raises cancer awareness she has my 'vote'!

28. kBm

kBm
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,275
    The public also forget how she dicovered she had cancer - on India's BB - trying to put right what went wrong (sounds like Dr Sam Beckett...) Yes, she was getting paid for a job out there, but it takes balls to go.

I find it disturbing that people state they are 'sorry she has cancer, but...'

-there's a but?! :eek:

Jade Goody 'the reality tv star' was born in the celeb media spot light, and sadly, looks like her passing will be too.

The only 'benefit' from all of this (if you can call it that) is that she will earn enough for her kids.

29. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +16,959
    I feel sorry for anyone that young with a young family facing this ordeal.

However I'm sorry to say that her Max Clifford coordinated media circus with carefully posed for faux-candid photos (of concerned Jade, sad-faced Jade, sad-faced bald Jade, happy Jade with her just out of prison fellow big brother racist boyfriend) all leaves me feeling very uneasy and cynical about the whole thing. Isn't this the same man responsible for Freddie Starr Ate My Hamster and David Mellor shagging in a West Ham shirt? And it doesn't appear to me that there's any health education or cancer awareness messages coming out of this; just a 100% media-whoring opportunity.

Whatever her current situation is, she really did not help matters by delaying cervical cancer treatment just to make her I'm Not A Racist appearance on India's Big Brother show. This is what I heard and read last year and made me so mad that someone's addiction to their own celebrity/publicity would be more important than dealing with a life-threatening situation - not really thinking about her kids there.

Good luck to her in her battle (if it's real) and providing for her young family. I'm not saying she should be like Jane Tomlinson, just that I'm troubled by someone potentially prostituting their death at the expense of quality private time with family (who are probably already well provided for), and their own dignity.

30. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Coolio was not a racist at all. :confused:

There was no racist tones at all from Coolio. Michelle Heaton is a well known slapper and Coolio could spot that a mile away. All he did was point out that she was all over Ben (which she was and everyone else thought so), it was Michelle who made it into something bigger and cried out that she was being intimidated. ;)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.