1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jade Empire

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by drunkenmaster, Apr 7, 2005.

1. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Anybody played this yet??
    Tried the demo and was quite tough or probably just bad at playing games.
    Also is it released tommorow 08/04/2005 or 15/04/2005?

2. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Game list it as coming out in this country on 22/4/05. This game looks utterly, utterly awesome. I don't have an XBOX, but I'm considering getting one purely for this game. I love Bioware's other output, and this just has me wailing in misery that there's no PC version planned!

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,332
    9.9 at IGN

out on the 12th in the US (and Canada) following in rest of world shortly after (UK estimated as the 22nd April)

Havwe mine on order at VG+ and fingers crossed here by Friday

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    9.9 goodness me :eek: – that’s as high as I’ve seen them a score a game for a while!

I always looking forward to this though, I have always been impressed with Bioware’s work.

5. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,332

Well according to some 9.9 is actually too LOW a score !!

will let you know - should have by Friday

BioWare can do no wrong as far as I am concerned - KOTOR is still one of the best games I have ever played (although least said about the 2nd the better)

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I’ve still got KOTOR in my ‘to-play’pile, the sequel didn’t score too badly though did it – was it really that bad?

7. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,332
    some liked it

I thought it was terrible - the first 15 hours or so where very good - as good as the first - but it soon tunred into an unfinished jumbled confusing mess - stick with teh 1st

8. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Was going to get the UK release of this BUT the price is bloody silly £40 for the limited edition :eek: So I've ordered the USA release which is £32 (inclu P+P) from videogamesplus.ca - Thats for the limited edition aswell :smashin:
    Also Great news for Pal xbox ownerd is the game is REGION FREE :thumbsup: so you can play it fine on any xbox chipped or not.

9. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,332
    good news is it is region free

bad news is its not very good at all to be honest

its as if the game was finished 3 years ago but left in a drawer until after kotor

the "amazing" fighting system, whilst looking rather nice and having many potential moves, is awful - pretty much every single fight can be one by just tapping the A button as much as you can with the occasional stab of X when they bloke. Even so called "boss" battles from HUGE elephant demons to John Cleese with a gun can be beaten in a matter of seconds (yes seconds) using the above method.

Actually the only time I died was when I tried to do something fancy and use some of those clever moves - so I just went back to tapping A loads of times - its not big and its not clever

the loading times are also a pain - at one point you have to have a series of fights, ecah one having to load seperatly (around 15 seconds) and then load again after you have won (15 seconds) it would be ok if you had half hours play but the fights are over quicker than the time they take to load

there are LOADS of followers but they ALL feel pointless - I have had no need to use any other than the first one I found and there is no interaction (or at least very little) and no leveling up of these followers

the only thing the game does have is a very good well written story - its just a shame that because of the above I just felt I was just going through the motions and never really enjoying myself

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Oh dear, and I was looking forward to this too… :(

11. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,332
    yeah - so was I but I must from now on NEVER got caught up in hype

12. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about 8 hours in and would agree with most of those comments. A few notes:

- The story is currently boring me to tears if I'm honest.
    - The combat is a bit like that in Rocky, in that it's fairly complex if you choose to explore what it's all about, but it's a battle of wills because to all intents and purposes most of the time you'll be able to get through by just hammering the A button.
    - Combat is further undermined by a **** camera and invisible barriers forming a sort of arena and thus restricting movement.

Having said that, it does have plenty of plus points, and I would say it's an above average RPG. Nowhere near KOTOR standards, but I'd put it at about a 7/10. I am pretty concerned that IGN would award a score of 9.9 to such an obviously flawed game.

13. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Game Central on Ch4 teletext gave this 7/10 if memory serves. They said that it was a good game, but had flaws that couldn't be ignored, or something. They are normally spot on with their reviews so that, and the comments on this forum, have put me off slightly. I was hoping that Jade Empire was to be the RPG to beat Planescape Torment, my current fav.

Russell

14. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Its in my "to play" pile. You are not filling me with confidence guys......

15. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    To quote Game Central

In Short: Well presented, but surprisingly shallow RPG/Beat 'em up hybrid
    PROs: Detailed and effective storyline and lots of combat options
    CONs: Very little else, though, and the whole adventure is very linear
    7/10

I have rarely found Gamecentral to be wrong, which bodes slightly ill for Jade Empire. Of course, whether you like a certain mag depends on how often they agree with the reader. To me Doom3 was woefully uninspired and I have never understood the fanatacism over the Halo games. Game Central criticised both Halo 2 and Doom 3's faults, so I tend to believe them.

Russell

16. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Jeez :rolleyes: All this power in this generation of consoles and only a few games to match. Seems to me the game inventers need to improve 1st before the machines do!!

Matt

17. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, best RPG ever in terms of storyline & dialogue. Anyone who thinks JE's storyline is good should go & play Torment.

Deus Ex is worth mentioning too, but it's an entirely different type of RPG.

18. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Ah Deus Ex, probably the last greatest game I played on the PC (although haven’t started HL2 yet!)

19. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Deus Ex is better. HL2 is very linear, offering only one method of solving a solution, the physics engine providing the more interesting ones. Deus Ex you can play through two or three times and still discover new ways of getting arround a situation. Not that HL2 is a poor game, mind, but there are some irksome things with it. Like when you get "stuck" on a barrel with a helecopter blasting away at you, a totally uninspired ending and lets not forget the rancid piece of software called "Steam".

Back on topic...

The fact that Jade Empire is supposed to be fixedly linear, with a mundane story and little in the way of party interaction, is unfortunate. When I first heard about it I thought that it was going to be the holy grail of games with the story and freedom of a good rpg with the close combat dynamics of a good fighter - a bit like a Baldur's Gate with a touch of Ninja Gaiden but without the geekish cliches of the former and unnecessary difficulty of the latter. I suppose there is only one way of finding out the truth, I may wait until it is available second hand.

Russell

20. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well got the Ltd edition from videogamesplus this morning - Excellent service from them and no problems with customs :thumbsup:
    Will have a good session on it over the weekend and post back with my thoughts.

21. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well have only played a couple of hours of it but really enjoying it - Great graphics and sound (bloody annoying theres no widescreen support though)
    As for the fighting being too easy? I'm guessing the other people were playing on normal/easy level (whatever its called?) Try playing it on hard level - alot of fun.
    Only thing that is bad is the loading times are very slow almost Ps2 like :eek:

22. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Well, I have got to chapter 5 and the game isn't half bad. Not as good as KOTOR 1, but not bad.

Pros: Good setting; superb graphical design; John Cleese does a voice over; good plot
    Cons: Bad sound - pops and crackles during background music sometimes; very easy I have only died once and that is on grand master level (and no, I am not very good at playing games); simplistic combat (just keep pressing A)

Russell

23. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Well, I finished it!!:thumbsup:

Do yourself a favour if you do get this game, watch all the credits. There is a hilarious "DVD comentary" style thing towards the end. I gather some of the developers are Star trek Next gen fans: "There are FOUR LIGHTS!!"

Makes the ending Knights of the Old Republic 2 look very limp (although if the planned ending was used, that would have been something).

Russell

24. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Im still playing this. I actually think its a great game. The combat is a bit simplistic, I disagree its too easy though. I seem to die quite a bit and some of the battles I have to try a fair few times to get past - I guess I am just bad.

The visuals really are breathtaking in some parts certainly amongst the best I have ever seen on the xbox and therefore amongst the best ever seen on any console to this point (in HD of course)

Definately worth getting and one of the better games available for Xbox. I dont normally like RPG but I quite like this, I can see why some of the hardcore RPG geeks would be disappointed though :rolleyes: