Jacobs Digital. What poor service.

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Just call me Al, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Just call me Al

Just call me Al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Last Friday I ordered a lens. according to Jacobs web site it was in stock. We were told it would be 2 to 5 days delivery. On Tuesday I phoned up to find when it would be with me & was told it had not been sent off. They went on to say they had none in stock. Then I was told they had a returned one that was unopened as the person refused delivery. (they had probably died whilst waiting). They said I could have that one and assured me it is brand new unopened. They said they sent an email to me saying the lens was not in stock. They did not send an email, we did not receive one. Low and behold a little while after the phone call, an email came in saying the lens was out of stock. Then a few minutes later another email said the lens had been sent off. It said your tracking order number is ). (thats how it read). So I contacted them today to find out what the tracking number is, & was told it would not be available until the lens was in my area. I've always been able to track goods from the original destination, on everything I've ordered in the past, & thats a LOT. Now I've been told I won't receive it today & it might be Thursday or Friday. Yesterday I was told there were none of these lenses in stock yet the web site said it was in stock. How does a company survive with poor service like this when A.J Purdy go bust with excellent service.

2. allymac123

allymac123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +435
    The second post in a camera forum in the last few days I have seen telling people to stay away.

I think I will!

3. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    I'm starting to not trust any photographic websites "In Stock" status I tend to order by phone these day's for stuff I'm desperate to receive.

4. onamee360

onamee360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
  5. ryanyboy

ryanyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I shopped with Walters this week. Placed an order just after 4pm Tuesday for a tripod. The guy advised he would try to get it to me but that snow had delayed the delivery driver.

Anyway - it arrived at 3pm the following afternoon. I even e-mailed them to say thanks for a great service.

I'd recommend them but I always call online stores before I place an order to make sure the item really is in stock. I'd advise you do the same. Very often I even place the order on the phone instead of online.

HTH

Ryan

6. mark.carline

mark.carline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I ordered a Canon 450d Body only for £385 (free delivery) from Jacobs and it turned up the next day (despite them saying 3-5 working days).

I did phone up and check with them that it was *IN STOCK* which is always a wise thing to do.

Dont ever take stock values as being true as the data is only as good as their last stock check.

7. mark1000

mark1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +863
    I had problems with Jacobs, but TBH they were resolved after 5/6 phone calls, wouldn't use them again even though i got there in the end.

Prefer 3 minute miles, not bloody marathons.

Mark.

8. tdodd

tdodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    I ordered and paid for four lenses online with Jacobs, a few weeks ago. They were out of stock, which I knew at the time, and that was no different to anyone else so I was not bothered. I purposely ordered before the recent hike in prices started biting. When I phoned a while later to enquire about stock progress they told me that they would not supply at the contracted price and that they were basically happy to put themselves in breach of contract for failure to supply goods for which I had already paid.

After a bit of research and double checking I placed the same orders with Warehouse Express, after being given assurances that the goods would be supplied at the price listed at the time of order. The prices were a fraction keener than Jacobs as well and with free P&P, which meant I could place four individual orders and therefore get each lens as soon as stock was available. I canceled my orders with the jokers at Jacobs. It was far easier than the aggravation of taking them to court for loss of bargain etc. etc..

Yesterday I received a phone call from Warehouse Express to tell me that they had stock of two of my four lenses and to check that I still wanted them. I confirmed that the price would be as ordered and gave the go ahead. Both lenses arrived today.

This is my first purchasing experience with Warehouse Express and I cannot fault them for the service received so far. Jacobs, on the other hand, can go and swivel on a pointy stick. *****!

9. Pirate!!

Pirate!!
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    Odd! I ordered my F42 flashgun online from them knowing it would be on back order and I got it within 4 days. I had no problem, so would be happy to buy again.

10. Manic78

Manic78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    "I ordered and paid for four lenses online with Jacobs, a few weeks ago. They were out of stock, which I knew at the time, and that was no different to anyone else so I was not bothered. I purposely ordered before the recent hike in prices started biting. When I phoned a while later to enquire about stock progress they told me that they would not supply at the contracted price and that they were basically happy to put themselves in breach of contract for failure to supply goods for which I had already paid."

Exactly the same with Park cameras at the minute. Never before have I had such bad service!!!

I am going to be looking for legal advice. Not too bad that the Sis in law is a solicitor! ;)

11. peteste

peteste
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The same with Park Cameras here - 2 days off work waiting for delivery - phone them up today to find that they had seen the 'B' in my flat number and assumed it was an 8 - cue 2 delivery attempts to a non-existant address on my street. I've got a free Saturday delivery out of them but if it doesn't turn up this time, the orders being cancelled and they're getting no more of my business... :mad:

12. pointstores

pointstores
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The worst service I have heard of. I would have canceled this purchase and ordered elsewhere. This company is giving online vendors a bad name.

13. cambsos

cambsos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ordered online from Warehouse express, website showed low stock

Then an email arrives saying out of stock, in hindsight should have rang.
    If some items say lots,others low and some as out of stock it makes you think that's what the situation actually is.

Bought from Morris photographic, dear postage on an under 60 quid order, but very speedy and actually had the item in stock as stated

14. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    I've just bought a battery off them and it turned up no bother, although going to start using my local shop as most stuff is only a few quid dearer.

15. tony @ suffolk

tony @ suffolk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    It does appear to me that many previously reliable firms such as Park Cameras are losing their way. Perhaps this has to do with the economic downturn?

Having received excellent service from the BT Shop in the past on a number of occasions I decided to lash out on a Canon D5 Mk 2 which I duly ordered on 19th January from their website which at the time was showing stock anticipated "Within two to three days".

After eighteen E-Mails from them delaying delivery from a few days to finally a month I gave in & on 22nd April ordered from Simply Electronics, who proved very efficient in letting me know when to expect the camera (was to be "Within seven working days" but turned up the next day) and they were also quick to sort out a mix-up with a credit card (my fault).

Why did I stick with BT? Because they guaranteed the price of my original order and by the time I finally cancelled the order the camera had jumped in price by some £300! I still had to pay an extra £100 in the end but I got the feeling I would be dead before getting said camera from BT...

The advice to 'phone beforehand is good. I now won't order from companies that haven't got a direct 'phone line.

16. Kronenbourg

Kronenbourg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Ordered a ThinkTank roller bag from Jacobs on Sunday, with the site showing as 'In Stock'. Payed for the premium delivery as I have a series of photoshoots this week and need the bag for Thursday at the latest. Monday morning I checked the status of my order and see it is now listed as 'Backordered'. Phone Jacobs and they tell me that it is in stock in one of their stores, they are transferring it back to the warehouse and it will be despatched to me either that day or the next day (so will receive it Tuesday or Wednesday). Following morning I check my order status and it is still reading as backordered. Phone Jacobs again to check the status of the order, the guy on the phone tells me the bag is there ready to ship so I will recieve it the next day (Wednesday).

So, this morning (Wednesday), I check the status of my order expecting to see the tracking number and see that it is still listed as Backordered. Phone Jacbos once again and the guy on the phone explains that the order is marked as on backorder as it is in stock in a shop and they are brining it back to the warehouse to ship to me. I explain I know that already and that I was promised on 2 occassions that I would have it by Wednesday and that the chap yesterday specifically said it was there and would be shipped out that day. Apprently he will speak to the warehouse and get back to me. I am currently incredibly pee'd off. I need the bag for tomorrow and paid for their premium delivery service to make sure I would get it in time. I have also rearranged everything so I am in the house today to receieve it. Cack service, I wish I had read all the Jacobs reviews on the web before ordering, I could have gone and picked the sodding thing up from the shop by now.

17. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    I don't bother ordering lenses or cameras online anymore - prefer to deal with someone face to face.
    My last purchase was a 7D - I walked into Jessops, asked them if they had one in stock (a yes), asked the price, asked if they'd price match - the guy went online, found the best price and matched it. In and out in about 4 minutes.

18. Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    That's a good approach, and it's fair to both parties. :smashin:

19. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,589
    Not really and it's very dependant on having an accomodating manager in the Jessops close to you - which not all are I can atest to :(

Also it's a little unfair to the shop as they do have additional costs that online retailers do not have.

I'd happily pay a "small" surcharge for local face-to-face service but the problem really is the magnitude of the mark-up you often see in the shops versus the online retailers - even tthe UK based ones... :mad:

Jim

20. Adam1984

Adam1984
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This has happened to me more than once! STAY AWAY!! They make false promises and my Canon 300mm arrived covered in finger prints!!! Go somewhere else they DO NOT deserve your business!!!

21. sep8001

sep8001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Just ordered a second hand D80 from Wilkinsons and the service was excellent.

The lady answered all my queries, I asked her to email me a photo so that I could check the shutter count which she did without any problems and the camera was delivered when they said it would be. So not all the companies are the same.

22. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I went into Jacobs a couple of months back and found the face to face service appalling as well. Took ages for the counter staff busy chatting to each other to even look at me and then had a conversation where it was a struggle to get one word answers out of them

23. tcr4x4

tcr4x4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I ordered a canon L lens from them a few months ago. It was £200 cheaper than the next cheapest, and it said it was out of stock, but due in 10 days.
    I too got the email when it was eventualy dispatched 15 days later without the tracking code after emailed them asking where it was, but to be fair, it turned up a few days later and they didnt try and charge me the higher price it had changed to since ordering.

Not the best service Ive had, but certainly not the worst.