Jackie Chan's Police Story & Police Story 2 LE Box Set (Eureka)

I think i gave away all my VHS tapes, of which there were about two dozen JC films :(

Same here & had all the classics too.

I remember watching the VHS versions. Pan and scan and the dubbing was great. As I said in my last post, most of these films lost some of their magic when they re-dubbed them.

So where do the current dubs for these films come from? Who commissioned them? ie were they redubbed for DVD or something?

I can only assume that the Dubs were owned by the original Distributors ... or when the release rights changed, new dubs were needed ?

I remember Bey Logan in the UK having some affiliation with the ‘made in Hong Kong’ label and new Dubs were on those dvd’s st the time.

Back in the late 80’s there were some cinema screenings in London at The Scalia Cinema showing Jackie Chan movies along with Donnie Yen / Enter The Dragon & some other films.

Anyone else go to these ?

Went to the Scala a few times. Originally for horror, looking to buy tapes. A friend recommended I buy this newly released widescreen subbed film called "Eastern Condors". Wow!!! I was sold from then on. Thanks Kev. :thumbsup:

Went back for the Chow Yun Fat show and several other Hong Kong shows. Great place, wonderful atmosphere.

Got me an order for the new Scala book. You getting that Glenn? Looks one hell of a release.

I can only assume that the Dubs were owned by the original Distributors ... or when the release rights changed, new dubs were needed ?

I remember Bey Logan in the UK having some affiliation with the ‘made in Hong Kong’ label and new Dubs were on those dvd’s st the time.

Back in the late 80’s there were some cinema screenings in London at The Scalia Cinema showing Jackie Chan movies along with Donnie Yen / Enter The Dragon & some other films.

Anyone else go to these ?

Never had the luxury of watching the films at the cinema. However, I used to rent all the dubbed Jackie Chan movies on VHS in the 80s - Police Story, Armour of God, Project A - and they were like the celluloid equivalent of crack.

Then, in the late 90s, there was the label (as you say) called MIHK (and also Eastern Heroes) that released loads of HK Films (in their original language with English subs) onto the UK retail market. Of course, I had to have all of them, so amassed quite the collection (I still have most of them now even though i no longer have a VHS player)! They weren’t cheap averaging £20 a title. They released loads of gems such as The Killer, Bullet in the Head, God of Gamblers, The Iceman Cometh etc.

At the height of the dvd era, then came Hong Kong Legends, and I spent Another mini fortune on those. The extras were usually good, especially the Bey Logan commentaries. I used to look forward to which titles they were releasing next.

I haven’t really upgraded those titles to Blu Ray, although Ive Just recently bought Eureka’s Drunken Master, Iron Monkey and getting the upcoming Police Story movies. :)

Can anyone remember the very first releases in the UK on vhs ?

I remember renting Police Story for the first time & being blown away by Jackie Chan and his incredible JC Stunt Team :cool:

Armour Of God soon followed then Wheels On Meals, Project A etc.

All these UK releases had brilliant dubbing tracks & far superior to ANY of the dvd or blu ray releases ... I assume they are lost to history with whoever were the Distributors back then ????

I wish they could recover these dubbing tracks though as they really added to the films and were really funny.

I found this image on the Net of the ‘original’ uk vhs and it appears ‘American imperial’ was the distributor:

View attachment 1041779

Anyone else remember seeing the original dubs.

Would have been great if they could have obtained those for this Police Story release.

Hey, not sure if you've bought this yet, but I can confirm that the original VHS dubbing is on these Eureka discs for both PS1 & PS2. They are not Blu-ray quality but very good DVD quality. And with the original dubbing that was supposisly lost on the 90s I could be happier or buy them quick enough.

There is now dvd/blu ray copy of Armour of God with the original vhs dubbing bit you can get wheels on meals on Japanese Blu-ray released a few years ago by Fortune Star with the original VHS dubbing. Hope that helps.

This turned up today.:thumbsup:

IMG_20180924_154429 (1).jpg

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Dam, looks like I've missed the boat, can't seem to find it for sale

Edit: luckily managed to order it. Project A was great.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom