Jackie Chan, whats so special ?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dUnKle, Sep 24, 2001.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,287
    Im an action fan, and also a big fan of the HKL R2 titles, they are some of the best looking and sounding DVDs available, they also have some great films but one thing I just do not get is Jackie Chan.

Yes the man is very very talanted and from interviews ( remember seeing him on TFI Friday ) also seems a real nice genuine guy but the majority of his films I have seen are just so unintentionally bad.

Today I watched the new release of POLICE STORY and like many other of his films ( City Hunter, Armour of God etc ) the potential of the film is there but its inablitlity to take itself serious really lets it down.

The music in the films just seems to be staright from the 70s and except for one or two ( very impressive even I admit ) action sequances the majority of the fights resemble old Benny Hill sketches. Are they supposed to be comedies and I am just missing the point ?

I also feel rather uneasy ( and I am no prude ) with some of the sexual referances, particuly in City Hunter seem to be very close to the knuckle ( all school girls, short skirts and glimpses of underwear )

So maybe somebody can convince me, what is so special about the films ? Is it just that ( as in Police Story ) the films have just allowed other films to copy them, but only better ?

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,472
    i think if you watch jackie chan films, and don't get whats good about them the first time round....don't bother watching them again....

i personally think they are good, and a lot better than the crap hollywood churns out!!

Anyway, you don't watch his films for the script or plot, you watch it for the stunts and fights scenes....you don't catch a lot of maintream actors doing their own stunts.

I've got Police 1-4 on dvd, and you can't fault them....