1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jacked up and keystoned...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Zerosun, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Zerosun

Zerosun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...I'm planning the whole "blow a few thousand $" project in my little house... and I've gotten a pretty good grasp of how I want to do wiring...

I've decided I'm in love with the concept of Keystone style jacks, and I'd like to keep the internals clean by using as few faceplates as possible, and obviously, squeezing all my ports together on one plate et cetera, et cetera...

Anyhow... what I HAVEN'T found is a supplier of S-Video keystone jack... THIS would make me very happy, seeing as how, for ease of use and quality, I'd like to run a few hundred feet of it, to a total of about 5-10 ports... I mean... I can find TOSLINK for cripes sake, S-Video can't be THAT rare...

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Sounds to me like you are planning on having a mdeia store room of some sort with a wall of patch panels to distribute audio and video around the house.

S-video doesn't travel well. It will only really work well upto distances of around 10m, composite video will work over longer distances though.

Something like the KAT5 system woudl suit you well, sending video and audio (and IR if you want) down CAT5 cables over very long distances.

Info can be found here:

www.kat5.tv

I'm not sure if there is anything like this in the US. I'd expect so though.

If it is something else you mean just say.