Jack the ripper movie, anyone remember?

Harj

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Cananyone tell the name of the movie, starring Christopher Plummer and James Mason as Sherlok Holmes and Dr Watson, investigating the Jack the ripper murders?

Is it on DVD? Trying to remember films that I like but cant find on dvd or remember, a title would stop me forgetting about it!

Thansk in advance.

"Murder by Decree" 1979, can't find anything about DVD.

Info from www.imdb.com

Metallifux beat me by 1 min (aren't we sad!!):clown:

Good news is, Anchor Bay (US) has a disc scheduled for very early next year (it's slipped from late Nov/Dec this year). I've been waiting for this one for a while.

But can anyone remember the film where Jack the Ripper (played by David Warner) pinched HG Wells' (Roddy McDowell I think) Time Machine and comes to present day america. HG Wells follows and tries to stop him carrying on the murders in the present day?

Yes I do, wasn't it called Time After Time. Very good from what I can remember. I think it stared Malcom Macdowell from what I can recall recall recall.:D

don't suppose that's made it on to DVD yet.. and wasn't that the name of Patrick Duffy's TV after Dallas as well?:D :D

Just Checked it out on IMDB and they say it's available so I have looked at Play and it's £11.99. Watchout though it's Canadian. So it may not have the FX only track and may also have french writing on the cover.

For the US R1 £17.99 from disk emporium which is a bargin :rolleyes: or $14.98 plus $7.45 shipping from DVDEmpire which is about £14.98 which isn't that bad.:)

I've got that one.
Warners don't do French writing on their covers yet on Canadian releases. And there isn't an FX only track on any release of it. The US disc has a commentary and some other minor league extras but nothing to shout about.
Transfer looks decent enough though.

Originally posted by Rambo John J
Warners don't do French writing on their covers yet on Canadian releases. And there isn't an FX only track on any release of it. The US disc has a commentary and some other minor league extras but nothing to shout about.
Transfer looks decent enough though.
Well that’s done it for me. I definitely wont be buying it if there's no FX track or French writing, that’s the only reason I buy DVD's. I could not careless about how good a film is. The bader the better in my book.;)

Can I state once and for all that French writing on the back of DVD covers does NOT bother me. It's when those Canadian weirdos try and fit bi-lingual titles on the spine and completely blow design out the window that bugs me.

I also think the idea of a having a dual-language nation is ridiculous, you're not french anymore you are Canadians welcome to the 21st century. Heritage is one thing but this is stupid. England was conquered by the Normans hundreds of years ago... but do we go around speaking frog... do we fudge!

OK it does bug me... sorry I know it's petty!!:mad: :mad:

Thanks for your help, chaps, might have to get a VHS copy :eek:
in the mean time, great film if i remember. Thinking about ripper films after reading 'From Hell' , graphic novel by Alan Moore (not seen the Jonny Depp film yet).

So who was he?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom