Jack Strong (Now in cinemas - released on 14th February)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by TheyCallMeTJ, Feb 19, 2014.

1. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,111
    Jack Strong - Trailer

This film has a limited cinema release in UK (released last Friday) with absolutely no marketing and absolutely no top critic has reviewed it. Rottentomatoes has zero reviews on it.

Which is MADNESS, as I caught a showing of this today and it is one of the best films in the cinemas right now. It's a brilliant and highly tense spy thriller, far superior to last year's Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and nearly in league with a film like Argo. Its edge of the seat stuff as well being psychologically exhausting, in a good way. The film revolves around a top level Polish army officer who is concerned about the apparently destructive plans of his superiors and the repercussions it will have on his homeland. His journey is enthralling, riveting and terrifying. The soundtrack also adds to the tension with its superb minimalistic impending doom beats.

It's based on a true story but its so good I am sure there is lot of artistic licence taken. Nevertheless, I am enthused to find out more about the truth. It's as incredible as the Cuban Missile Crisis saga. There was tremendous world wide stakes involved, its terrifying to think how fragile the world is in the hands of nuclear armed states and how much just one person can tip the scales either way. I fear for our damn future watching films like this.

What you won't get in this film are any bouts of humour or entertaining dialogue, no George Clooney swooning his way with a cigar in a war zone or any comedy relief. This is straight up relentless reality based thriller much in the vein of Argo with tightly edited pacing, taught direction, and solid performances.

If there are any negatives, it would be that some moments WILL remind you of Argo and other known political thrillers in its execution. I did get the feeling of that trick has been done before but at least its executed with maximum impact. Also, the dialogue could have perhaps be injected with some light relief humour in some places, there were opportunities but its no biggie.

This is an intelligent and educational movie worthy of being seen by all. Sure, much of this film is in Polish which probably explains the lack of any marketing but if they are going to release it in UK cinemas then at least bloody tell people about it, Jeez. Its only because I see a lot of movies and tend to scour the cinema listings to see what's left that I noticed this and only went to see this because there wasnt much else that I havent seen. Its also partly in English as the film switches to and fro America and Poland. It has an American star too, Patrick Wilson, in a very prominent role. So why are they not advertising it? I cant believe Mark Kermode actually went to see a Tinkerbell movie instead, aimed at 3 year olds and then has the audacity to diss on it for its simplicity, whats the point, its aimed at kiddies!

Because of the lack of marketing (come on, even Rai and Sam Crow didnt pick up on this), the film will likely disappear within two weeks, so if you want to see a top espionage thriller that is also a true story and be educated at how close again, a nuclear war could have ignited in the early 70s, then go see this. If you don't see this in the cinema, then do at least give this a rental...as long as you dont mind English subtitled movies, which very understandably is a put off for some people but its worth the effort.

8.5/10

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  2. systemsdead

systemsdead
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,001
    Interesting i might give this a try i really enjoyed Pasikowski”s last film Poklosie which gathered a lot of hate from the Polish community.

3. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,111
    I just read up on Pasikowski. Yes, It seems there is a distinct political pattern to his films which is dividing the Polish community. I think I can see why having also read up on the real events of this particular film.

Thanks for mentioning Poklosie. I will check that out, I trust in your recommendation and this director's skill.

4. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,111
    Watch this only if you have already seen the film or have no intention of seeing the film and just want the complete story as told by the CIA officers involved. This lecture is as riveting as the film itself. One and a half hours long. Surprisingly, I realise the film doesnt deviate from the truth all that much...at least by the accounts of retired CIA employees and documents shown on the projection. Even the moments I was sure was embellished for entertainment purposes turns out to be as it really happened.

Spoiler for whole story

Edit: I removed the youtube link because the thumbnail photo may give away the end. Just type in "Ryszard Kuklinski -- Hosted by Peter Earnest" in youtube search and it will be the first video.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  5. cebs_uk

cebs_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +407
    Thanks for the heads up.

Not at any Cineworld near me sadly, might have to fork out some actual cash to see this one.

Jack Strong

Nice website, shame its not getting a wider release or marketing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  6. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,111
    Its actually only showing AT Cineworld cinemas. Not even Curzon, the biggest promoter for art, indie and foreign movies is not showing it. Yet popcorn Cineworld is. Bizarre!

This may not be an Oscar calibre film but it is a top entertainment thriller with a serious amount of must know historical facts, so this lack of promotion is a bit shameful, particularly given the effort and production value on display.