Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Discussion in '4K Ultra HD Blu-rays' started by Phil Hinton, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,350
    2. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +862
      Thanks @Casimir Harlow , whilst I enjoyed this film at the time, everything you are saying about it not really being a Jack Ryan movie is spot-on. I loved Costner in albeit an invented character for this movie, and I had read they were making a 'Without Remorse' John Clark movie, and he would recur in this as the same character, but the relative under-performance of this, abandoned those plans. Now I hear they are making 'Without Remorse' with Michael B. Jordan, which has me all sorts of worried.

I think the success of Bourne is the worst thing to happen to the Action/Spy genre, because Hollywood can't resist copying a successful formula, even though they have their own successful formulas already. The Bond reboot has almost ruined Bond for me, and as you say every other Action/Spy thriller since seems to be afraid to be its own thing. That said Mission Impossible, Atomic Blonde, and American Assassin were pretty good. And the good news is we ended up with Jack Ryan series on Amazon, rather than this film franchise with Jack Ryan gone wrong.

3. Evinger

Evinger

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +364
      Thanks for the Review Casimir Harlow. Yup, remember it now & will give it a firm miss.
      scrowe mentioned Atomic Blonde, & I really enjoyed the action & plethora of twists in it; at least a hopeful sign that we may get some more imaginative Movies of this genre.

4. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,637
      With all the great reference material over many books, why on earth did they choose to make this a Jack Ryan movie.

As Cas says, it's a decent enough action spy thriller, it's just not a Tom Clancy/Jack Ryan movie.

5. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,221
      Thanks Cas, I went to see this whilst in New York. I remember the weather outside (it was absolutely freezing and tipping it down!) more so than the film itself.

I literally cannot remember anything other than the opening few minutes. Probably a reason why......

6. simonblue

simonblue
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,407
      Thanks for the review Cas,as most have pointed out,it does feel like an Jason Bourne movie,rather than a Tom Clancy/Jack Ryan movie.
      Hopefully if they do a another one,it will go back to the old formula :)