Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Jack of all trades - LCD for PC, TV and Gaming.

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Mr Fujisawa, Dec 29, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Mr Fujisawa

Mr Fujisawa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    My first post, but ive been a good newbie and actually searched before posting

Ive searched the forums and so far found this thread to be the most promising.

Basically ill be moving house, to a smaller room, and will no longer be able to have my aged sony 25" 4:3 tv and 19" and 17" crt monitors.

So here's the deal.

I use my pc a lot for surfing the web and playing games, especially first person shooters.

I use my TV for games playing, xbox, ps2, cube, and i use the xbox for dvd playing and streaming divx video from pc etc.

so heres what i want

I want an LCD TV that is good enough to use as a PC Monitor and watch tv and play games.

It will need component inputs (as i would like to move to progressive scan output for xbox and cube) SCART (poor old ps2) DVI (i need to link my pc afterall!)

Ive spent hours trailing forums and reviews and have read through a lot of this site. and the sharp aquos lc26ga4e seems to meet my specs, but how viable would this be as a pc monitor.

one thing i cant seem to find, the response time. if im gaming i need 16ms or less.

also. its got a nice rez that many pc games now support (half like 2 for instance) but when displaying hd progressive images, like 720p, does this leave borders as the tvs native rez is 768?

basically, i need ur input on which tvs would be suit my purposes, if any.

oh and one final thing. if i had this setup. would i be better playing dvds on my pc using software, or using a progressive scan dvd player connected to component?

thanks

P.S. (sound is NOT an issue, id rather the tv had no speakers tbh as i have all of that external)

2. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    ive got the sharp and the quality as a pc monitor is superb pinsharp and i use it at least 8 10 hours a day and get no eye strain games are great and if they are set to the same resolution as the lcd there are no borders,ive seen no problems with fast moving games and i can even play mame at the naive resolution of the display,you can get a dvi switcher box and connect a hdmi dvd player and the pc to it and just switch between the two,you will be suprised how good it is as a pc monitor i was :thumbsup:

3. Mr Fujisawa

Mr Fujisawa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    nice one andya, good to know that Jack is out ther ;)

but ive just found out from more forum reading that its been discontinued!! but also read the other post about a 6 series one in the pipe hehe. i have a couple of months before i move so i can wait

4. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    as Andya says the 32" 4age altho hard to find now is class. A relative of mine has one and even tho he just uses it for dvd viewing. i took my pc over after few minutes of messing around with powerstrip and my gfx drivers. doom3 and half life 2 graced the screen in full res. gobsmacking and no ghosting at all.

5. Jamesv

Jamesv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sharp Aquos Lc26GA4E has a 14 ms response time. Plenty quick enough for all uses : )