• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Jabra BT800 Bluetooth headset & Skype

efcbluepete

Standard Member
Hi,

saw some of the dialogue regarding the use of Widcomm vs MS, but cannot find how to override MS and install widcomm drivers for my bluetooth usb dongle.

going into control panel and bluetooth devices find the "bluetooth radio" device, but it has assigned the MS drivers to it. I have tried installing the widcomm 1.4.2.10 drivers from the disk supplied with the dongle, but don't seem to be able to get past it.

As it is now, the computer shows the headset connected after successful pairing, but neither the mic or speaker work.

ANy ideas what I am doing wrong? should I be able to install the widcomm software? is there a more recent version (tried widcomm site, and it isn't really clear for an eedjit like me).

TIA,

Pete

Monty Burns

Not sure on the Widcomm thing but have you checked out the Skype settings? There is a menu option in Skype to choose your input/output devices, check this is set to your BT device.

This actually a very good system as it allows me to pump out my music/games sound through my normal speakers and also, allows the dualphone I have to be used as the skype in/out speakers at the same time.

svkhtn

Standard Member
Tried to:
1. Right click on "My Computer"
2. Select "manage"
3. Choose "Device Manager"
4. Find the bluetooth device from there. Double click on that.
5. Update driver ==> point to the CD or folder which contains the widcomm drivers.

Hope this helps!

efcbluepete said:
Hi,

saw some of the dialogue regarding the use of Widcomm vs MS, but cannot find how to override MS and install widcomm drivers for my bluetooth usb dongle.

going into control panel and bluetooth devices find the "bluetooth radio" device, but it has assigned the MS drivers to it. I have tried installing the widcomm 1.4.2.10 drivers from the disk supplied with the dongle, but don't seem to be able to get past it.

As it is now, the computer shows the headset connected after successful pairing, but neither the mic or speaker work.

ANy ideas what I am doing wrong? should I be able to install the widcomm software? is there a more recent version (tried widcomm site, and it isn't really clear for an eedjit like me).

TIA,

Pete

efcbluepete

Standard Member
Hi,

Tried both options, with no joy.

Skype "tools/options/sound devices" only offers me "Windows default device" or "Intel integrated audio" - neither does anything different.

My computer option lets me go all the way to pointing to the CD, but then says something like "cannot find a better driver than that already installed" - or some other MS BS.

Ah well, will just have to get something bought.

I am just about to get a wireless access point for my broadband and home LAN. Are there devices out there that can tap directly into the wireless acess point (or wireless lan) and pretend to be a proper phone, but connecting through Skype? Just a thought, will probalby be too costly anyway compared with a nice cheap wired headset, or similar.

Thanks for offering some thoughts on way forward anyway.

Cheers,

Pete

A

advancedts

hi,

the only way you will get bluetooth working with skype is by running a program called skype headset (i think it cost around $10) this allows you to initiate calls from the headset and terminate them

efcbluepete

Standard Member
Hi advancedts,

Following you advice, I thought I'd post how I got on to help anybody else out who is searching the forum for similar.

got the trial download to see if it would work, and initially, it wouldn't (glad I didn't buy at that point). read through all of the advice and guidance on the site www.skypeheadset.com and got a lot further.

Finally got stuck with no bluetooth audio channels recognised. nowhere else to go, sends an e-mail to the contact at the bottom of the FAQ page. A couple of hours later there is a response from the guys at skypeheadset (now vitaero), with a really helpful explanation. Bingo, it all works now. I have included the text of the e-mail that sorted the final problem out that wasn't on the FAQ page or in any of the guides on the site, just in case anybody else is trying what I have done and got to the same point>

"...Could you please check to see if the Bluetooth install is complete by right clicking the Bluetooth icon to see if there is an option to complete the install. If this option does not exist then you need to check the Bluetooth Audio is enabled as some times it is disabled. To do that please follow these instructions:

Please check in the Control Panel ->Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices->Sounds and Audio Devices Properties->Hardware tab to see if you have Bluetooth Audio listed. If it is then select it and press Properties button. Check that Device Usage is enabled. If it is disabled then enable it and restart your machine. After the restart launch the vitaero configuration to set the Bluetooth Audio
..."

So, thanks for pointing me in the right direction, would recommend the software to anybody who was looking at a cheap, easy and reliable way to get connected to skype.

Pete

C

Crivens

the only way you will get bluetooth working with skype is by running a program called skype headset
Never heard of it. Instead I looked around for advice on bluetooth with Skype. Eventually found a decent website with instructions that worked (it's on my other PC in alarmed area downstairs - am upstairs now on wireless laptop). Essentially you disable the microsoft drivers (do not uninstall or will reinstall on boot up) and use the Widcomm ones instead. After that I had one or two reboots, paired the headset (Moto H500) with the bluetooth device (basically using bluetooth icon in taskbar), and had to change the audio devices in skype to be bluetooth for input and output. Then quit Skype and restarted (apparently had to do that according to decent website).

Once all that was done, I turned on the headset, clicked on the bluetooth icon and selected the headset menu and clicked on the H500 option. A second later the headset started beeping. Pressed the answer call button on the headset. Icon then turns green (red when no bluetooth, white when on, then green when connected to headset). Then tried test call on Skype. Worked fine. Then talked to my parents in Cyprus with no worries while watching TV in another room :)

According to the website some headsets just don't work with Skype, and you may have problems with Bluetooth 1.1 devices. Luckily my bluetooth key is 1.2, and I have had no problems so far.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom