J.S. Technology RGB to Component Converter

Beamer

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the new J.S. Technology RGB to Component Video Converter on their projector?

I currently use the svideo output from a sky+ box to feed my Epson TW100 but would like to improve quality if at all possible.

The spec on the box can be found at www.rgbtosvideo.com

Hi Beamer, i am also thinking of going for a rgb/componant convertor, I currently use a rgb/s-video convertor for Sky, but I find the screen door is still noticable with my setup with s-video, it looks fine with componant from dvd, so hopefully a convertor would improve on screen door and other area's.

BTW www.lektropacks.co.uk are doing the rgb/componant convertor for £75 reference number CSY-2100

I cannot find this product on Lektropacks site but its on their advert in HCC page 88, thats where I got the code number from.

Hi Tim

I have a similar experience with S-Video on my TW100. With a DVD input even with S-Video the screen door is gone! I think that the frame rate changes when switching from Sky to DVD, perhaps thats the reason for improvement. A can't say for certain as all my DVD's are NTSC so there will be a frame frequency change anyway.

Hopefully some kind soul will review the product for us! There are good reports from the Plasma community but PJ's are a different ball game, they really do show up short falls in the interconnect.

Well how about one of you guys gets one if you are so interested. The JS tech RGB to s-video convertor is a worthwhile product so you know its going to be a decent performer.

Go get don't fence sit and before anyone says why don't you get one Mr.D I currently use an s-video to Dscaler path to my projector and going component would necessitate the additional purchase of probably the H3D card and for watching DTV its just not worth it to me.

I've just ordered one to see if I can get a better Sky+ picture on my TW100 - currently using S-Video

Will let you know how it goes

Chris

Hi Chris

I have been testing the J.S Technology box over the last two weeks together with an iSCAN Ultra. I will be writing a short review on the RGB to component converter shortly but you can expect to see more natural colours and cleaner edges by using it!

J.S Technology kindly loaned me a box to review, based on the results of my testing I have now purchased one!

I think the most significant way of improving your Sky image on the TW100 is to get the settings right on the PJ! I now have a cracking picture.

Chris

Have just purchased the Lektropacks version (it is now on their website Timh) - will let you know what it is like in a few days time.

I'm mainly getting it to try and minimise the shadow (ghosting) I seem to be getting on my Sky Digital picture with my current Keane RGB -> Svideo convertor - hopefully this will help.

Dylan

I purchased the rgb/componant convertor from lektropacks with a 10% discount when I purchased component cables at the same time (for being a member of this forum) they also threw in free delivery too! which was very good, as there was to be two seperate deliveries as the cables would take over a week longer.

I received the CSY2100 from you on 5th February and connected it up to my Telewest scart outputted socket and then to my Sony hs10 projector using the Sony's supplied multi cable which enables component input as the component cables hadnt arrived. However the projector will display the TV picture then after a short while the projector seems to 'lose' the signal from the CSY2100 display a blank screen with component in the box, then find the signal again. This happens all the time from this unit. I notice it happens more when changing scenes (I had my TV on at the same time).

continued...

The projector never does this when displaying from DVD player using the same cable and component inputs.

It appears that if an advert comes on then the picture is lost, sometimes halfway through the advert. Or, if an announcer is on from say the news when flipping on screen with the same channel to say 'Kate Aidie' I will lose the picture, the projector displays lost signal/searching for signal.

This was the reply from Lektropacks 'Unsure whether your unit is the lastest one, so please return for us to check, i can at that point advise you as to whether we have problem with these units in conjunction with your Projector.

Kevin Cray'

I will send the Unit back next week (the earliest chance that I will have), but in the mean time Is this a faulty unit or do they all have this problem? Have you any idea what can be done to rectify this problem as it is making watching sport etc on the projector a no-go.

Knowing John personally and having several of his products as well as testing some new kit on the old Toshiba MT1 and a PTAE100 I can assure you that they are of the highest quality possible at the price point and worked fine with both these and a TFT unit.

I use, or have tested the RGB to S-Video units, AV Buffer, RGB to Component and a couple of others and so far even the prototype units are simply superb. John does go *way* out of his way to ensure the highest quality possible as well as being able and willing to sort out any issues, which is more than can be said for some firms.

HTH

K.

Just received the Letropacks version of RGB -> Component convertor and all I can say is arrrrghhh :mad:

The bloody thing doesn't even work! (well..it does to a point) the picture is is awful, full of interference and corruption (looks like a channel that hasn't been tuned in)

I assume that it is a faulty unit but i'm starting to wish that maybe I should have bought one of the J.S. convertors :(

John won't say this but I will, or rather I'll pose a question...

Where do you think that other companies get the ideas from and isn't it a funny coincidence that they appear, normally, shortly after JS releases a new device?

Then ask: how can they do it cheaper?

Answers on a postcard please ;)

K.

Hopdylan: Sorry to hear about your dissapointment, seems like a good opportunity to cut your losses and buy the J.S Technology product!

Chris

Beamer - I wouldn't of hesitated to buy the JS Tech version but unfortunately it is twice the price! and i'm not sure if I can justify that sort of cost just to improve the picture quality

Hi All,

thanks for your comments Lynchpin - and I agree with everything you've said!

I do do the designs differently from other companies. With the component converter it's based around discrete components and the RGB to Plasma VGA unit to ensure a very stable clean picture. It's a more difficult and complex method, but the results speak for themselves.

Very frustrating when you've spent quite some time solving all the technical issues and showing that a converter system will work only to have someone else cut all the R&D out and several corners too!

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

I've been very impressed with the quality of the RGB>SVid convertor.
JSTech delivered very quickly despite their cheque based system.:clap:
Their product is well constructed and came with fool proof instructions.

The competitors may be cheaper but I doubt the quality would be the same as mentioned in previous posts.

I've nearly finished my XV-Z10000 review and will certainly post some comparative screenshots.

CKA.

Do any of you think that the improvement gained from using the JS RGB to Component convertor from my NTL Digital STB to my AE100 is worth double the price of the JS RGB to S-Video convertor?? From this and other threads I take it that there is a definate improvement going from composite to S-video quality but is there the same dramatic improvement between S-Video and component?? One of the benefits for me of the RS S-video convertor is that it does RGB and I assume composite pass thru because my new STB has only one scart output and I need to split the signal to the projector and to my composite video(to be ultimately replaced by an RGB input accepting HDD/Dvd recorder.)

Calibros,

You could use the video switching built into your Sony amp, convert to svideo and connect to amp input, all svideo outputs are live on the Sony so you can use the monitor out to your pj and the video 1 out to your recorder/second device.

As for component or svideo and worth the money, I hevent tried it, I'm sure it would give an incremental improvemnt but you wont have the convenient option I detailed above.

Calibos: If you are a perfectionist and want the best colour rendition, go for the component converter. If you want convenience and a good compromise, go for the svideo converter.

It's tough to put percentage values on improvement of the different solutions as your mileage will vary depending upon your source and the display used. My take is 60% improvement using Svid over composite and 15-20% improvement over svid using component.

I think this is the yardstick you are looking for. Please take into account that everyone will differ in opinion, this is simply my take.

You may wish to take into account your future requirements! If you want to upgrade later and perhaps buy a component switching amplifier, then the component box is a better solution.

I think that which ever J.S box you go with you will be pleased with the results especially so if you are watching composite right now.

One last point, don't be tempted to buy one of the cheaper inferior converters. Design quality is everything in the converter business.

Good luck

Chris

John (Spicer),

I should have mentioned that its a regular vhs recorder rather than a S-Vhs so I still need a composite signal from the STB until I upgrade to a digital recording device that could accept S-video or RGB. I never considered the video 1 s-video output because I couldn't get a signal out of the video 1 composite output when I tried the other day. There was no pic coming out of that composite output from either the video 1 composite input or from any other composite input for that matter. Basically I had considered this method of STB signal splitting by using the amp with composite (when I still thought my STB only had composite out.) I couldn't get it to work unfortunatley.

I think I'll go with the S-video convertor but can someone confirm that it passes thru composite (as well as RGB).
Basically I would have a fully wired scart from the single scart output on the STB to the convertor. A scart going from the convertor to the video. A scart adapter with S-Video DIN socket plugged into the convertor S-Video output. A S-video cable from the scart adapter to the Receiver and another S-Video cable from the S-video monitor out to the PJ. Is that the right way to do it? Will this work??

Also does John sim do those lttle composite to S-video dongle thingies. Then all my gear would be via S-Video or Psuedo S-Video and I could leave the PJ permanently on its S-Video Input. Takes one remote out of the 'changing sources' equation!!:D

Calibros,

The method described definitly works with my Sony 940 so I'm 99% sure it should on the 930 too. The RGB convertor I had was a Keene one and that was fine quality wise, it did have a composite out as well as svideo, it didn't do rgb passthrough though.

Keene and Lektropacs both do a svideo-composite adapter, about £3-4, it wont improve the quality but would allow you to connect a composite video to the svideo plug on the amp. It could at least be a stop gap untill you get a device that records svideo.

OK, so I finally took the plunge and bought the JS RGB -> Component box.

Plugged it in, feeding RGB from Sky+ box into TW100 and.... I have to day, I didn't see much of a difference in picture quality over the original direct S-Video connection. :(

Note: I've not had time yet to fiddle with the picture settings on the PJ to see if I can improve the picture quality - currently running with the factory defaults on component :blush: .

Not quite the miracle box I was hoping for (they never are are they)..... may have to take it to the next level and buy an external scaler, though I'm not sure how I'll get that past the wife :suicide:

John,

LOL! I tried the video 1/2 output with composite again and got it to work this time. I remember someone said that video 1 would output on video 2 and visa versa. I knew this when I tried the first time so I'm at a loss as to what I did differently this time.:D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom