1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

J.S Technology RGB to Component Converter Experience

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Beamer, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    During the last couple of weeks and courtesy of J.S Technology, I have been testing their new RGB to Component Converter connected to an Epson TW100 projector and a Pioneer 433MXE plasma display. Initially after first viewing with and without the converter in place I guess I was a little disappointed as it was very difficult at times to see a real difference between the SVID and composite source from my Sky+ box. It was not until the second week when I stopped switching back and forth and actually sat down and watched a film right the way through that I finally got to appreciate the improvement. I have listed below my observations in the order of what I consider to be the most important.

1. Colours are more natural
    2. Colour bleed is reduced
    3. Detail slightly improved

As indicated earlier, all the above improvements may be quite subtle, if like me you have a good quality SVID source in the first place. The improvement in colour rendering is perhaps the most obvious improvement but please don’t waste your time as I did trying to make A/B comparisons with still images, it just does not seem to work. Sit down and watch a good quality film that has plenty of colours in it. For me the colours were more natural and vivid, skin actually looked like skin. The skin tones with the converter in place are actually so good that I was able to see wind burn on the faces of actors.

Colour bleed improvement works hand in hand with the slight detail improvement to show off finer picture detail, tweed patterns in clothing etc are clearer, improving the overall picture. All in all I would say the little box is good value for money but don’t expect the miracles from poor quality feeds!

For the technically inclined I have noted below some points worth comparing with competitive products

1. The J.S Technology box is built around discrete components to maximise performance resulting in a usable bandwidth of up to15Mhz. Most stand-alone converter IC’s maximum bandwidth is in the order of 5Mhz.

2. Timing is generated in a professional manner with a small programmable microprocessor thereby improving stability and noise rejection.

3. Built in power supply

4. Build quality is excellent

I have been testing the converter without any obligation for the last two weeks and have now decided to buy it, enough said!

Chris

2. selexus

selexus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beamer,

Thanks very much for that mini review. I need one of these for the conversion from my DVD player to the component inputs on my HS10. It's really good to know that the unit does what it's supposed to. Thanks again.

P.S.
    I bought an ex-demo rotel RMB-1075 amp for in the end. :smashin:

3. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    selexus if you are only going to use this convertor for to upgrade your DVD signal I would recommend buying the Limit 9900se player instead. For a similar price get progressive scan component output.

Though obviously you could use the RGB convertor on other devices. All depends on what you intend to do

4. selexus

selexus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rooster,

Thanks for the though, but it's only to allow "she who must be obeyed" to play DVDs on the big screen, whilst i try and get the HTPC finished.
    Spent most of this weekend running cables in the walls and under the floor after another session of ear bashing. :rolleyes:

Cheers.

5. selexus

selexus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rooster,

Thanks for the though, but it's only to allow "she who must be obeyed" to play DVDs on the big screen, whilst i try and get the HTPC finished.
    Spent most of this weekend running cables in the walls and under the floor after another session of ear bashing. :rolleyes:

Cheers.

6. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Selexus: I hope you found the review useful, there's nothing worse than buying a converter only to find the convertion results in a poorer picture!

Glad to hear that you sorted your amp requirement. The Rotel is a nice amp, not quite as nice as the A1 though ;);) (tounge in cheek):devil:

Chris

7. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Beamer,

thanks for the very fair review.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

8. maxfc

maxfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Can't you get a input card for your PC with Component video input? I'm sure that one person bought the converter for his HCPC and used such a card, but I suspect you'll have to hunt around the US for one. Essentially, this will allow you better quality signals in to your system.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

10. maxfc

maxfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John.

Yes I had a H3d card and the picture was at the time much better than the PCTV S-video card but now new cards like the FLIVideo/Xcapture have come out, the S-Video quality is nearly as good and for Sky viewing acceptable.

Also the H3D card was £800 whereas the new ones are around £40-50 for not that much differnce in PQ.

Thanks,
    maxfc