IXUS 75 or IXUS 80

Stretlow

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there, after a lot of research, mainly on these forums ive decided that the IXUS range is definately for me, I almost had my decision made with the 75 model but have only just noticed theres the newer 80 version.

Is it worth the extra £30 or so or will a novice such as myself not be able to tell the difference.

Any help greatly appreciated.

edit, looks like the only major difference is the image stabliser (is) ;O)

Hi there, I actually work for canon so i know the ins and outs.

it is better to go for the ixus 80. not only is it just newer it has some nice improved differences. The first key thing is that you have the image stabilised lens. this is optical and not the electronic type (which other manufacturers cheekily put in their cameras). if its for a girl or lady, the chocolate and pink colour has been very popular amonst the 'trendy types'. the silver one is my fave tho (i am a guy btw).

You also have a newer screen which is definetly one of the best screens on the market. really bright and crystal clear. a new mode called 'sunset' has been added.Motion Technology has been improved so the camera detects if the subject is moving. the camera will optimise ISO speeds to keep noise/graininess to a minimum. furthermore, Face detection technology has been updated in the new IXUS 80 IS to reproduce skin tones that are natural-looking, by simply leaving it up to the camera.

any more q's?

One other BIG difference is the absence of an optical viewfinder on the 75 - it just has the very nice big 3" screen.

The 80 has an optical viewfinder which helps alot in bright sunshine.

Hi there, I actually work for canon so i know the ins and outs.

it is better to go for the ixus 80. not only is it just newer it has some nice improved differences. The first key thing is that you have the image stabilised lens. this is optical and not the electronic type (which other manufacturers cheekily put in their cameras). if its for a girl or lady, the chocolate and pink colour has been very popular amonst the 'trendy types'. the silver one is my fave tho (i am a guy btw).

You also have a newer screen which is definetly one of the best screens on the market. really bright and crystal clear. a new mode called 'sunset' has been added.Motion Technology has been improved so the camera detects if the subject is moving. the camera will optimise ISO speeds to keep noise/graininess to a minimum. furthermore, Face detection technology has been updated in the new IXUS 80 IS to reproduce skin tones that are natural-looking, by simply leaving it up to the camera.

any more q's?

Hi, top responce mate couldn't have asked for anymore really. After looking I do think ill go for the 80 for your said reasons, Whats weird is i can find the chocolate colour one for £142 but can only find the silver for £200!!!

So ill think ill have to be patient.

Unless you can get me one cheap of course .... ha ha:D

Thanks again for your advice

I've got the Ixus 860IS in silver from Dixons online for £185 (-4% Quidco). Don't know how the 80 & 860 compare (perhaps saud_hassan can tell us) but it's another option if you can't get a silver 80.

Hi guys,

The silver ixus 80 at dixons is £148.54, add on 4.95 for delivery:

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/sto...m=null&tm=null&sku=238896&category_oid=-32295

You could get a case plus 2gb card included for £182.99. Good value for money id say.

social_lurker is spot on, the ixus 75 has no viewfinder, only a 3" screen.

I like the ixus 860is, it has some advantages over the ixus 80 in that it has a wide angle lens which will squeeze more in the photo. This is really good for scenic views or large family pictures. The 860 is actually my favourite camera. it looks sexy with its 3" screen. BUT, it has no viewfinder. Furthermore, its likely to be replaced, probobly during the next canon update- before XMAS. The 860 does not have the updates that the ixus 80 has, such as the new screen and improvements on motion detection.

Hope that clears some things up.

BTW, i forgot to mention, if you want the new direct replacement for the IXUS 75, it is the IXUS 90, NOT the ixus 85!

Hi guys,

The silver ixus 80 at dixons is £148.54, add on 4.95 for delivery:

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/sto...m=null&tm=null&sku=238896&category_oid=-32295

You could get a case plus 2gb card included for £182.99. Good value for money id say.

social_lurker is spot on, the ixus 75 has no viewfinder, only a 3" screen.

I like the ixus 860is, it has some advantages over the ixus 80 in that it has a wide angle lens which will squeeze more in the photo. This is really good for scenic views or large family pictures. The 860 is actually my favourite camera. it looks sexy with its 3" screen. BUT, it has no viewfinder. Furthermore, its likely to be replaced, probobly during the next canon update- before XMAS. The 860 does not have the updates that the ixus 80 has, such as the new screen and improvements on motion detection.

Hope that clears some things up.

Still think i like the look of the 80 over the others think the 860 will be a little too much for my budget and from what your saying i dont think ill be disappointed.

And im sure if i dig enough i can find either free delivery or someone else to price-match it ;O)

Edit - £142 on amazon, pc world will price match it for 110% of the difference... get in

Im sure ive seen some 4gb sdhc cards for £7 on amazon?

^^^

Hi mate

I was thinking about getting the IXUS 75 from Amazon as it's now £115 but reading this thread has made me think twice.

Can I ask how you did the price match with PC World for the 80, in-store or on-line? If in-store then what did you take in as proof, just a printout of the Amazon price?

Cheers!

EDIT: Only the pink variant of the 80 is coming up as £142 for me on Amazon, silver one is priced at £172 - do you have a direct link please>

^^^

Hi mate

I was thinking about getting the IXUS 75 from Amazon as it's now £115 but reading this thread has made me think twice.

Can I ask how you did the price match with PC World for the 80, in-store or on-line? If in-store then what did you take in as proof, just a printout of the Amazon price?

Cheers!

EDIT: Only the pink variant of the 80 is coming up as £142 for me on Amazon, silver one is priced at £172 - do you have a direct link please>

Damn, yeah its gone up slightly..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0012ZEDV4/ref=pd_luc_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Still does it at £152 and says delivery of 1-2 months you could price match that with pc world but you might as well just get the dixons one for pretty much the same price.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
^^^

Hi mate

Cheers!

Pc world can price match it in store by providing a copy of the amazon price, as long as amazon have the silver in stock. However, before you go in-store, its best to reserve it and 'collect in store' because from my experiences in working in 3 different PC worlds in Glasgow is that they rarely have good quality cameras in stock. They tend to have the crappy Samsungs and Advent cameras in store.

Furthermore, if you reserve the camera online, it asks for your postcode and will search all the pc worlds in your local area that might have it in stock.

Thanks guys.

Dixons is showing up as £170? Might go the PC World route, as saud suggested "Reserve & Collect" it then take in an Amazon ad for the £152.00, seems a decent price for what looks like a top-notch camera.

EDIT: Ignore me, PC World is showing it as £170, Dixons is an altogether better price of £148!

Yeh the 80 is definetly the better choice. Its been really popular and whenever i compare the camera for customers with its main competitors, it normally wins hands down.

Its really confusing dealing with all these sites, especially when dixons, currys, currys digital and pc world are owned by the same company (DSG). I also believe pixmania are owned by the same company too!

PS. heres a £5 off voucher code for dixons. Use it when you get to the basket.unfortunately, it only works on orders over £150. but if u want an extra 2gb card its only a tenner. then u would qualify for the fiver off.

code: AW5

Brilliant!! I'm glad i could help (,") Hope you enjoy the camera!

If you have any probz or questions feel free 2 ask :)

Saud,
Which one would you recommend out of the Ixus 70 or 75??? I will only using very basic features but ease of use and cost are most important to me.

There is a deal for the Canon IXUS 70 & Selphy 520 printer bundle at £89.95 at Tesco instore which looks very tempting.
Thanks for any advise

bought the 80 yesterday from ukdigitalcameras £149.99 at about 3.30pm

Dropped through the door about 15 minutes ago....... :D

Thanks again for advice Saud, much appreciated.

Please do post back with your thoughts/comments after using it for a while, be nice to get some user feedback :)

Saud,
Which one would you recommend out of the Ixus 70 or 75??? I will only using very basic features but ease of use and cost are most important to me.

There is a deal for the Canon IXUS 70 & Selphy 520 printer bundle at £89.95 at Tesco instore which looks very tempting.
Thanks for any advise

Hi..well the ixus 70 was one of the best selling ixus cameras ever so you cant go wrong with it. I think that is a really good buy considering the ixus 70 on its own is about £130 in john lewis with no printer.

Most people that buy the ixus 70 like it because it is easy to use, metallic strong body, it has a viewfinder so if its bright you can put the screen off (saves battery life) and look through the eye piece. I was given the ixus 70 last year and its been fabolous. no problems at all with it. Iv found that it appeals to male and females- with most customers being couples.

the ixus 75 is the exact same camera but with a full 3" screen. I love the 3" screen and think it makes it look really nice with its all black finish.

But both cameras will be end of range very soon. If your not fussed about that then either camera will be a great choice.

The selphy 520 printer is a bit old. But the quality is on par with the new selphys. ink and paper is a bit pricey in-store, but if you check ebay you can get 108 prints(ink and paper) for under £20.

overall, id say £89.95 is well worth it :thumbsup:

Hi..well the ixus 70 was one of the best selling ixus cameras ever so you cant go wrong with it. I think that is a really good buy considering the ixus 70 on its own is about £130 in john lewis with no printer.

Most people that buy the ixus 70 like it because it is easy to use, metallic strong body, it has a viewfinder so if its bright you can put the screen off (saves battery life) and look through the eye piece. I was given the ixus 70 last year and its been fabolous. no problems at all with it. Iv found that it appeals to male and females- with most customers being couples.

the ixus 75 is the exact same camera but with a full 3" screen. I love the 3" screen and think it makes it look really nice with its all black finish.

But both cameras will be end of range very soon. If your not fussed about that then either camera will be a great choice.

The selphy 520 printer is a bit old. But the quality is on par with the new selphys. ink and paper is a bit pricey in-store, but if you check ebay you can get 108 prints(ink and paper) for under £20.

overall, id say £89.95 is well worth it :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Thanks a lot - I think I will take the plunge - cannot really go wrong with the price and like you say as long as the missus likes it as well I can justify the already low price:clap:

Do you know anything about CHDK?? The forums which I got the price from recommends putting on CHDK. Any ideas???

Iv heard of it but iv not tried it or come across anyone that has used it so not too sure how reliable it is. Is it possible to get it in the ixus range? because i thought it was only available on the canon powershot range?

I would like to try it but I will have to give my ixus 70 back soon and i wouldnt want to get into trouble lol

Hi, I am interested in buying an Ixus 75 and was wondering whether a 4GB SDHC memory card (SanDisk) will work with it?

Erm, my pics didn't quite turn out as i'd hoped, well i shot a few round the house friday night that are very good but my ones at the game were hampered by the fact that i'd had one too many fruit juices..

My first impressions though are very good. The camera is easy to use and the ones i shot round the house were brilliant however i want to get some better shots before I post any on here.

I got some brilliant videos from it but to be honest thats not what i really bought it for.

Im a complete novice and I want to learn more about photography, maybe then I can produe some better ones,

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom