Ixus 500

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by stevetiler, Jul 23, 2004.

1. stevetiler

stevetiler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,I'm thinking of a new digicam,at the moment I have a coolpix 775 but my son wants it so I was thinking of replacing it with the ixus 500(mainly because of size) also it takes the same card as the coopix and I have a few spares.Could any one offer advice(good and bad)on the500?I'm not a serious photographer,more of a "point an shoot" person.Thanks a lot.

Steve

2. markjonesuk

markjonesuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm very happy with my Ixus 500 ...

Like you I like to "point and shoot" .. but changing the settings to shoot a smaller size image is easy enough. Infact the Ixus has a "point and shoot" setting plus a "personal" setting which I use to switch quickly from shots for printing out .. and shots for the web/emailing.

The movie mode is good too .. shooting "quicktime" movies ... 3 mins max on the lower setting .. 30" max on the higher res.

Downside? Well the battery life is good .... but make sure you buy a spare! As they are canon flat batteries you cant pop into alocal shop and slam in four AA batteries. It gives little advance warning of an about to run out battery ...

I bought mine from UK Digital (its on the web but also, for me, up the road..). I see they are ofgfering it at £299.00 inc free battery. http://www.ukdigital.co.uk/canon_ixus_500.htm

mark

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,779
    I bought one to take on holiday with me the other month and it's great. Easily pocketable and you can get it out and shoot very quickly on auto mode. I took nearly 600 pictures with it and and very happy with the results - especially as I didn't have the time to play about with it before I went on hols. I didn't have it set to the maximum resolution either.