1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ixus 500 or Sony P120?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by NC11, Dec 31, 2004.

1. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    After completing my home cinema setup in the last few months , it's time to upgrade my camera so all u guys can see it.... :clap:

currently have a Sony P50 (2.1MP) , and have narrowed down my options to the 2 mentioned. would like something small , nice look and feel , with all the features but in auto mode , something that even my 8 year old can take , point and shoot.

Sony
    very nice , black adds to the appeal , and my wife likes the look. I presume it has all the relevant features so I can't go much wrong with that one. plus I know the menu system from the P50. the extra battery and case add to the well balanced package.

the only 2 cons I can think of are - (1) feels a bit too delicate. (2) memory cards are VERY expensive.

Ixus
    feels way better than the Sony , and would probably last longer. score better on the reviews I've read. has all the latest features and does exceptionally well in auto mode , again from what I've read. another plus is the cheap memory cards.

cons - battery life is no on a par with the Sony (that comes with an extra battery anyway).

Can I ask all you guys to:

1. add\change pros and cons to either camera.

2. recommend a good and reliable site for purchase either.

3. does it worth buying these in the US? I've got a friend who's coming here every month.

Thanks!! :thumbsup:

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,849
    I bought my Ixus 500 from here they are good on price and reliable. I bought an extra battery at the time of purchase so don't have a problem with battery life. It's not bad for battery life anyway unless you do a lot of messing around looking at the photos with via the lcd after you've taken them. It fills all my needs as a very pockatable point and shoot camera. I bought a couple of these high speed CF cards from Ebuyer and they are superb. They now do a 1GB version for under £50 as well.

3. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My wife has a ixus 500 and it is a good camera. As has been said the battery life is fine. Compatible batteries from ebay /hong kong actually work even better and are very cheap.
    I'd suggest you look at the ixus 40 which is what another family member bought recently. It is 4mp instead of 5 but that does not really matter.In all other ways it seems to outperform the 500. Everything it does - it does quick.......startup... focusing....shutter lag is low... and it has a huge display on the back. I've not looked at any reviews but I know a lot of internet research went into the choice.

4. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    thanks for the feedback guys. :thumbsup:

JohnG - took yr advice and just ordered the 1GB card from Ebuyer.

Do you think there's any chance the price will drop a bit now after the christmass rush? Should I wait?

5. HuwSy

HuwSy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the P120, and sure the memory is more expensive, but I have seen 512mb cards on ebay for arround £50 ($80 i dont know the exact rate) which will allow 25minutes of 640x480 25fps video or 6hours of 160x120 15fps video.

Theres also the mountain of accesories like waterproof casing to allow you to take it to 30meters underwater.

I have taken this camera out clubbing many times and it has been bounced and smashed into all sorts, with slight chipps in the nice black metal case but no faults yet. But I do think the lense wouldnt cope with much battering when extended.

As for quality of shots, Its ideal for hight motion and has no noticable delay between pressing the button and it taking a shot.

Compared to the ixus tho, i wouldn't know as I have only ever used a very old and porly one, not the 500.

6. HuwSy

HuwSy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I say 6 hours of video, i dont mean loads of 30second video clips like the ixus. I mean you can do 1 single 6 hour video, asif you are using a camcorder. Wheras the ixus and anyother compactflash or mmc camera can only do small clips due to the physical data transfere rate of those memory architectures. As for sd memory, i think it has the same problem, but Im not sure and havent found anything to say otherwise yet.

7. mathew

mathew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    my preference at this price point:

1) panasonic fx7
    2) p120
    3) ixus 500

ixus is in third because... it's way slower than the sony, quite a bit slower than the panasonic, does to much on board noise reduction, has a poor movie mode, and the infamous canon PF. flash is weakest on the sony, and memory is the most expensive, detail isn't that hot in the photo's, but noise is impressively low for 7.x MP on such a small sensor. panasonic has the worst battery life, and has no viewfinder, but has a fantastic lieca lense (corner to corner sharp), image stabilisation for long exposure handheld shots (brilliant night shots of buildings for example!), biggest lcd, least amount of on board processing giving more post processing potential, the images are noiser than the canon (because the on board processing is allot less).

When buying memory bear in mind the speed can seriously effect the start-up, shot-to-shot, and burst shot speed. e.g. if you were buying an fx7 i'd go with sandisk ultra ii SD, or if strapped for cash a 60x anybrand.