1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ixus 50?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Elvis, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm ready to retire my aging 2mp IXUS 1 and I'd really like a 5 megapixel replacement, but prefer the feature set of the IXUS 40 over the 500. I guess it will only be a matter of time before Canon produce an IXUS 50, does anyone know if or when that might be? Should I go for the 40 now or hold out for a 5mp version?

2. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    IMHO the lens is already too weak for a 4MP camera, let alone 5MP. The extra MP will gain you nothing but larger file sizes, and not as good looking pictures. It's not alway about the MP count remember.

3. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
  4. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, the point about lens sizes is well made and one I hadn't considered- thanks. What about suggestions for an alternative 4/5 mpixel camera that produces good results and looks stylish. Any ideas?

5. Righty

Righty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could have a look at the casio's, they've got a very nice design, long abtterly life. Their pictures are OK but nothign to write home about ;) Also have a look at the Minolta X50 and Pentax S4/5i's. Tje Panasonic series are also quite good, FX2&7 are the latest ones. Although a bit more expencive, you get that OIS added in there to :) They're a very sexy lil' camera aswell!

Edit: On another note, if you're not in a huge rush, it might even be worth waiting untill the end of feb to see if Canon to release anything. The "Ixus 50" could have a slightly larger body/lense, with the 5mp, OIS? maybee even a Wide angle! Somethign to compete with the Ricoh R1 perhaps? The possibilities are endles, and you'd imagine the 5mp ixus wasn't released with the 30&40 for this reason, hopefully there is alot mroe development behind it and they'll come up with a very unique little camera. I guess all we can do is wait and see!

6. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions. The Pentax, Casio and Pansonic all look ok but lack a 640 x 480 30fps movie mode (which the ixus 40 has). I already have a good DV Cam for 'proper' video but it's a bit on the hefty side and the ability to shoot short clips on a camera would be useful.

I'm going to have to wait until feb before I buy anyway so I'll see if canon comes up with anything else by then. BTW what is OIS?

7. Righty

Righty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OIS - Optical Image Stabalisation. If you're looking for nice movie mode, maybe check out the Sony P100. They've got 640x480 res @ 30fps, unlimited to the card. Only down side is the cards cost alot more! They are gradually getting cheaper though (well not genuine cards, but sandisk are affordable). The sony is also slightly bigger, but has a few apature setting and shutter settings to play with!