1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ixus 40 or Sony W1

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Midge, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Midge

Midge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry, no doubt the worst threads going, but here's another one.

Just about to take my first steps into digital photography, and I think (unless of course you tell me otherwise), I've managed to whittle it down to two camera's. Can't decide which one I prefer out of the two, so thought I'd put it to the experts :thumbsup:

I like the fact that the Ixus is so small and compact, but then again I like the large LCD screen of the Sony. Can you therefore put me out of my misery, and give me your advice on which one you'd go for, and if you can be bothered, the reasons why, to help me along the way.

Many thanks

2. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I'll jump in.

I haven't tried either but I do have an Ixus 400, which is fantastic. From what I know of the Ixus 40, it shares the same facilities as the 400 - AF-lock, AE-lock, long exposures, etc. That means that it typically allows you to do pretty much what you want in any "point-and-shoot compact"-type situations. Both my Ixus 400 and the Canon film compact that I had before (Z70W) take great photos as well, which augers well for the 40. Furthermore, the Ixus uses a standard (and cheap) card type (SD) against Sony's proprietary memory stick format. So, all-in-all, I would go for the Canon.

_

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Features side by side http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...yside&cameras=canon_sd300,sony_dscw1&show=all (the ixus 40 is also known was the SD300 in the states)

The sony is the more manual and better featured cam out of the two. It also takes AA's which is very handy and is always thought as the better option for power in reviews. I had the ixus 400 and the amount of times i cursed the sky as my battery ran out at the worse time:rolleyes:

I'd personally go for the w1 as it offers more for the money, and i feel
    is the better camera

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/w1.html
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/sd300.html

4. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say that I don't agree that AAs are the better option. Li-ion batteries have very low self-discharge rates so, despite my Ixus 400 having been in the cupboard for the last several weeks while I've been playing with my new Olympus C-8080, I know that I can pick it up and shoot. I've heard a few people complain that NiMH are only any good if you've just charged them because they self-discharge so quickly. I've never had a problem with my Ixus and a spare battery (which is smaller and lighter than a spare pair of AAs as well) - and compatible Li-ions are not too much more than NiMHs these days (even a compatible for the mighty BLM-1 {7.4V, 1500mAh} in my Oly only cost £12.50 including delivery).

However, if you want full-manual control and AAs plus are willing to accept a proprietary flash format, a friend was looking at the Fuji E550 a few weeks back, which looks very impressive.

_

5. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well i went from the ixus 400 to the canon s1 which used AA's nimh's. The S1 was far more power hungry then the 400. But the battery life with the AA nimh's just left it standing. I think if you look on the review for both cameras one was 180 shots for the canon, and the other was around 340 with the sony. Plus from time to time we all forget things and if a dreaded power loss occurs at least you can nip into a shop and buy a set of AA's. They just add that safety net for me

But then my 20D doesn't take AA's unless i use a battery grip.

6. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough - it's horses for courses, I guess.

Actually, I've now looked at the Sony and it is a nice looking camera - but not an obvious competitor for the Canon. One observation is that the lack of aperture- or shutter-priority would bug me - my SLR and Oly both live in aperture priority. I would suggest that you need to decide whether you want an ultra-compact - which will not have full manual controls but can still be pretty powerful - or a regular compact with manual controls. For the ultra-compact, I reckon from experience that the Ixus will take some beating. For a manual compact, I reckon that there is a wide range to choose from - and the limiting to P/M modes would probably drop the Sony from my list.

_

7. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Like the S60/S70;)

8. Midge

Midge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the replies, not looking for anything too technical so far as the camera goes re Manual settings, but as I get more confident would like to be able to play around a bit. Sounds as if the Ixus is probably the way to go??

9. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The w1 has more scope for when you improve mate. So i'd say the sony. But you're going to be very happy with any of the two as you've picked two very good compacts

10. Midge

Midge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mmm I know what you're saying, but think I'm going to be swayed by the size of the Ixus. I know the Sony can hardly be called big, but it'll be a tight fit including the case into my jeans pocket. Also, I really can't see myself getting into the manual/features sides of things too much either.

Now just have to find the best deal for it (before I change my mind again!!)

11. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well check pricerunner out mate;)

12. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You read my mind!

I obviously come across as a Canon fanboy - which I'm not. I've got a Minolta (film) SLR plus Olympus and Canon digicams so I'm quite happy to buy whatever product best meets my requirements regardless of manufacturer. I've just been very happy with my two Canon a-little-more-than-point-and-shoot-a-little-less-than-full-manual compacts. So, yes, the S60/S70 would be on my list of suggestions for a full manual compact - but so would many others like the Fuji. It's a hard fought market segment.

:smashin:

_

13. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    What about the Nikon 5200, seems to be in the same bracket as the W1? is this camera any good?

14. Midge

Midge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well, I've gone for it and bought the Ixus 40 at Jessops, got them to price match so paid £229. Now to see how it works, and to have a fiddle (with the camera that is!)

15. Reg

Reg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Let us know how it is.

I'm also trying to decide whether to buy the ixus or w-1.

The canon is winning at the moment, but would love to hear your views

16. Midge

Midge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    So far so good, can't believe how small it is, yet the LCD is crystal clear. Will hopefully give it a good run out over the weekend, as not had a chance to take any pictures in daylight yet!! As it stands, it appears to be just what I was after. This is my first digital camera (and not really been to bothered about camera's previously), and you can just point and shoot if you want, but there's still enough manual control to 'play around' as well.