Ixos XHT658-100 HDMI lead

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ellchester, Aug 7, 2006.

1. ellchester

ellchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I found myself wandering into Richer Sounds at London Bridge for a "quick look around" and came out with an IXOS XHT658-100 HDMI cable for SKY HD which I'm having installed in a couple of weeks. Had a quick look around but can't find much about them? Are they worth the money (paid £120 which I now know is over the price on the net)? Am I honestly going to notice a difference over a £30 Cambridge Audio hdmi lead? Running it with a Pioneer 436XDE. Honest opinions as i'm fairly new to all this and I want to spend money in the right places (still need a good amp and good set of speakers - they're next on the list!!)

2. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +322
    There's lots of different views on cables...In my opinion you won't notice a £90 improvement...especially as the cable is sending a digit signal, which either gets there or doesn't.

3. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I'd take it back and put the saved cash in the pot for a new amp and speakers, you don't even need to spend the £30 on the Cambridge audio one, the one which comes with the SkyHD box is fine.

John.

4. ellchester

ellchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Looks like I have wasted my money - just read on the sat. forum that there is a major issue with SKY HD and Pioneer plasmas and Pioneer are saying to only use component with HD not HDMI until the problem is resolved!!!

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,470
    Hello ellchester

The potential SKY HD/Pioneer XDE problem - see http://www.pioneerhdblog.com/

The SKY HD cable - the HDMI cable being supplied by SKY seem to be pretty inconsistent so it is worth considering a change or at least being aware that they are not manufactured to a very high tolerance.

Unlike Analogue cable HDMI doesn't tend to introduce gradual signal degradation - mostly you either get an image, no image or an image with drop out/sparkles.

The 120.00 GBP HDMI cable - that's an awful lot of money for an HDMI cable. You can have an HDMI 1.2a compliant silver on copper 1080p 1m cable for nearer 50.00 GBP; see http://www.bettercables.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=3

I'd be heading back to the Retailer and asking them to show you why its worth 120.00 GBP.

Best regards

Joe

6. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Evidence?

I haven't seen that reported on avforums for example.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,470
    Hello loz

Not everyone 'posts' on AVForums; you'd possibly be surprised at just how many 'lurkers' there are :)

I think it would be impossible not to have a percentage of a cheap mass produced cable (or cables) with problems.

Does anyone know if SKY are supplying everyone with the same cable - I'd guess probably not as buying HDMI cables in big numbers is not too easy.

Best regards

Joe

8. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    My point was that if they were "pretty inconsistent" then I would have thought even in the small avforums community this would have surfaced by now.

9. ellchester

ellchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks - I took the cable back and got a refund. I spoke with my installer - independent not Sky's own as I've had nothing but problems with them in the past - and he said he can't install SKY HD for me becuase of the ongoing problems with the HDMI on the Pioneer media box, Thomson, who make the SKY HD box, have advised they don't install any to anyone with a PIONEER plasma, even using component. So I don't need the HDMI until Pioneer/Sky/Thomson resolve the issue.