IXOS XHT601 Scart Problems

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by gavh, Aug 4, 2006.

1. gavh

gavh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Has any one purchased IXOS XHT601 Scart cables and had problems with them? I've just spent a small fortune on a pair or 4m custom length cables for use with my Samsung PS42H5 and to be honest, I'm seriously disappointed wht the results. Graphics are blurred, colours are dark, On the Sky+ menu page there is a weird chequered thing hapening under some of the text. Not good. I've been using 5m Cambridge Audio Premium Scarts up to now with amazing results but they were way too long. I thought that spending on quality custom length cables would be the way forward but it would seem not. I'm hoping that this is a one of and that there may be an issue with the cables.

2. KingKrell

KingKrell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It sounds like you're using just a single pin and not RGB. If you drop back from RGB, it will get darker and lose edge definition. If you set it to RGB on TV and source, does it still do this?

If so, it must be the cable. Or (just to be check) you may have turned off you RGB output setting or connected it to another scart connector that does not support RGB.

3. gavh

gavh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I've tried a few different things. My Plasma supports RGB on the scart socket that my Sky+ box is connected to. The Sky+ box video output is already set on RGB but when I switch between PAL and RGB, the is absolutely no difference in picture quality at all. I seem to remember that on my old Sony CRT the PAL output was much darker and a not as sharp. I wonder if the RGB output is not working properly.

4. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    This would suggest that, even when you select RGB, you are still watching a composite picture. Can't you refit the original cable to double check?

3 options:
    sky box. Are you sure that you're connecting to the TV scart? The VCR scart only does composite.
    TV. Are you sure that you are using an RGB-capable scart? My Samsung TV only accepts RGB on AV1.
    Cable. Although it might be faulty, it's also possible that it isn't a fully-wired cable. Pop the cover off at one end, and check.

Wrong scart on the sky box is the favourite option.

5. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,617
    Also if your Sammy is anything like (as good as?!!) my old Sony RP LCD TV, you assign the input mode for a Scart. So although you may be Scart RGB enabled through your "supply chain" (SKY set to RGB, using TV out on the Sky box and RGB enabled Scart lead) you may still be displaying just the composite on the TV Scart selection. It is worth noting that the Sky box when set to RGB, outputs BOTH RGB and Composite simultaneously!

6. gavh

gavh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

Ok so after much moaning at my IXOS dealer, IXOS have sent out a new cable to the same spec as my original order. It arrived today and it;s no different. Nut sure what to do here. I;ve tried the cable in a few of my friends setups and it's exactly the same problem there too. It shows up best on the sky settings page. Normally if you switch between PAL and RGB outputs you see a notable improvement on the RGB setting but with the IXOS cable it just looks poor on both. Not really sure what to do next. IXOS did admit that the first cable they sent me "may have had an anomoly in the wiring" but 2 in a row?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:lease:

7. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,617
    I cannot find any online manual for your TV number PS42H5. Is it the PS42-P5H ?

Which Scart are you connecting Sky to? Not all Scarts are RGB enabled on TV's, usually #1 is.

8. gavh

gavh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Malice

Sorry it's the PS42-P5H model. It works fine with other scarts both cheap and expensive. I've also tried another IXOS scart too (an XHT611) and it was fine.

9. andykn

andykn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    If you've tried a different IXOS SCART cable with the same arrangement and not had the problem it must be another faulty cable. Could be a batch problem.

If you still can't tell the difference between RGB and Composite with the long lead, its unlikely to be the length that's the problem - for the length to produce the same looking drop in quality as from RGB to Composite is very unlikely.

10. gavh

gavh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Getting a replacement cable from IXOS this week sometime. Will report my findings. Thanks for all your info and advice though folks.

11. gavh

gavh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally got my new cable and all appears to be well. The picture from my Sky+ box is sharper than it's ever been.

Thanks again for all your comments