IXOS unleashes new PS3-friendly HDMI cable

Tech News

Reaction score
As anyone who has to use them regularly knows, many HDMI cables are very poorly built indeed. Which is why IXOS has come up with an HDMI cable designed with PS3 users in mind that tackles many of the weak points of traditional HDMI efforts. The IXOS XPP158 is fully...

More...

Looks like its good construction. Though someone needs to tell me how its got ps3 users in mind. Also at 40 quid it goes up against the qed hdmi-p which i wager would better performance

And as the Gadget Show on Monday demonstrated that there was no discernible difference between a £20 HDMI cable from Currys and a £120 IXOS HDMI cable, then perhaps a £40 cable might also be seen as stupid beyond words?

Regards

Mark

And as the Gadget Show on Monday demonstrated that there was no discernible difference between a £20 HDMI cable from Currys and a £120 IXOS HDMI cable, then perhaps a £40 cable might also be seen as stupid beyond words?

Regards

Mark

I don't want to get into the argument of expensive/cheap HDMI cables and the differences but every test I've seen on the gadget show has been very poor at best.
Did they test long HDMI cables using 1080p on a very large screen and A-B between the two?

I've found that the length of a HDMI cable can show up how good it is.

I don't want to get into the argument of expensive/cheap HDMI cables and the differences but every test I've seen on the gadget show has been very poor at best.
Did they test long HDMI cables using 1080p on a very large screen and A-B between the two?

I've found that the length of a HDMI cable can show up how good it is.

I bought 4x2 matrix switcher off the forums, out of which I have two 10m hdmi leads feeding two different displays at the same time carrying a 1080p feed.

These 10m hdmi leads were £11 each delivered from ebay and work perfectly.

Claiming an hdmi cable is designed to be PS3 friendly is a very strange statement as I can see no way that a cable can in any way be specifically improved for a PS3 (unless you made it gloss black and attract dust so it matches)

I will accept that a cable can be better made so it is more durable and would accept that would be a valid reason for the purchase but phrases like -

'High density cable jacket and braiding which reduces external vibrations for enhanced signal strength'

- seem like total nonesense to me and I would have very little respect for a company treating me with such contempt by making such claims

i went into curry's recently with a friend who wanted help buying an lcd tv to hook his ps3 up to and we both found ourselves looking at their hdmi cable range. shockingly a 'monster' cable (1.5 mteres) was being sold for around 80 quid. the sales op came over and tried to tell us it was ideal for ps3 and we would see the difference. i told him a cheap hdmi cable at that length with reasonable build would be the same and you wouldn't see the difference at that length but he was adament. I told him that i disagreed and that if he was such an expert then why was sky hd box they were promoting hooked up to the lcd tv via a scart cable!

^isnt it Comet that sell Monster stuff, thought Currys sold Belkin stuff. Anywho, over short distances a hdmi cable is a hdmi cable no matter how the manufacturer dresses it up to be 'better'

Oh please... anyone taken in by this utter rubbish may as well shred their well earned money...

As someone who owns both QED silver anniversary HDMI and IXOS XHT 458 ( both high end cables) I would say that these two certainly have different attributes in not only build quality but also in picture and sound delivery.

As both cost well in advance of £50 I can understand why some people are sceptical about the benefit of a costlier cable.

But when compaired to a standard HDMI cable (such as the free one sky bundle with the HD box) the difference is most definitely noticable.

Both these leads offer a cleaner image on screen with contrast and colour looking stronger and more solid.

For me the QED is the better cable though as it provides very clean whites, deep colours across the spectrum and great black levels which the IXOS just can't quite match.

I do however agree that other factors come into play also, such as lenght of cables and of course quality and size of display being used.

Claiming that a cable is PS3 friendly seems like marketing goboldy gook to me and i would suggest that if people are happy with the cable they've got then stick with it, and those wanting to possibly upgrade to a high end cable then i can definitely recommend both the IXOS and QED:smashin:

As both cost well in advance of £50 I can understand why some people are sceptical about the benefit of a costlier cable.

But when compaired to a standard HDMI cable (such as the free one sky bundle with the HD box) the difference is most definitely noticable.

Both these leads offer a cleaner image on screen with contrast and colour looking stronger and more solid.

For me the QED is the better cable though as it provides very clean whites, deep colours across the spectrum and great black levels which the IXOS just can't quite match.

People are sceptical about the benefits of expensive cables because they do not see how it can possibly affect a digital signal, it either transmits it or it doesn't.

You obviously believe there is a difference, and I like to think I am open minded about most things, but I can see no logical reason as to why a cable carrying a digital signal can make any difference for example to black levels like you mention.

I have a IXOS HDMI, which cost about £50.00 cable plugged into my PS3 (which i bought ages ago) and the bog standard HDMI cable that came with the sky box plugged into the Sky HD box.

I swapped the cables around and you'll be astounded to know that spotted no difference what so ever.

Although both my units are less than 500mm away from the TV so both are 1m cables.

As someone who owns both QED silver anniversary HDMI and IXOS XHT 458 ( both high end cables) I would say that these two certainly have different attributes in not only build quality but also in picture and sound delivery.

I do however agree that other factors come into play also, such as lenght of cables and of course quality and size of display being used.

Claiming that a cable is PS3 friendly seems like marketing goboldy gook to me and i would suggest that if people are happy with the cable they've got then stick with it, and those wanting to possibly upgrade to a high end cable then i can definitely recommend both the IXOS and QED:smashin:

This is known as 'BULLSH*T'

It is often the case with the latest 'cutting edge' digital cable that some will tell you that the very expensive cable that they were 'mug enough' to pay for offers a superior 'image and/or sound' quality to the next, if you remember back in the day when 'digital audio' was a new thing, we were blessed with these morons who paid hundreds of £'s for optical and coaxial cables that delivered them 'superior' dolby digital and DTS compared to the next man.

As we all know now, anyone that is stupid enough to claim 'their' dolby digital or DTS is superior to the next man using a cheap optical cable looks like an idiot, unless you have a defective cable which actually causes drop-outs, your cable is good enough, since the transfer is digital.

Only morons will make the claim that you see 'better colours' and 'better sound' with a digital cable, often they feel the need to reinforce the claims upon others to make them feel better after getting ripped off by the salesmans pushy attitude and psuedo-scientific bullsh*t.

Do not be conned into thinking you need an expensive cable because it will give you 'superior' results, the only diferrence between GENUINE cables is NILL (because HDMI is manufactured to certain tolerances, I admit a non-genuine cable may cause problems).

I swapped the cables around and you'll be astounded to know that spotted no difference what so ever.

Hi Rob.butters. :)
Does not suprise me at all :D i've always found this with HDMI cables,as long as your not sending the signal over a long distance a HDMI cable = a HDMI cable. ;)
All the best.

basicly a PS3 can output its games at a true 1080p at 60hz

blu rays are 24p that are output at 24hz or 60hz so thats basicly the same data rate as a 1080p ps3 game

the audio could be up to like 7mb per sec if its 24bit

sky hd outputs a 1080i at 50hz, with lame 384kbps dolby

so a ps3 hdmi cable makes sense, its easyly double the data that sky hd's hdmi outputs at.

basicly a PS3 can output its games at a true 1080p at 60hz

blu rays are 24p that are output at 24hz or 60hz so thats basicly the same data rate as a 1080p ps3 game

the audio could be up to like 7mb per sec if its 24bit

sky hd outputs a 1080i at 50hz, with lame 384kbps dolby

so a ps3 hdmi cable makes sense, its easyly double the data that sky hd's hdmi outputs at.

So as you say, the data rate needed by most blu ray players is the same as that for a PS3 so claiming a cable is especially suited for the PS3 is clearly nonesense

So as you say, the data rate needed by most blu ray players is the same as that for a PS3 so claiming a cable is especially suited for the PS3 is clearly nonesense

Totally agree. :smashin:

I can't believe AVF considers this to be news? It isn't, it is simply a marketing ploy to cash in on the consumer and pray on the uncertainties of the vast majority of people who don't want to look stupid in the shop and get conned by the cable jargon spouted by poorly trained salespersons that are told Expensive = better just so their managers can meet sales targets. The whole HDMI implementation has been a joke since the start. Changing specs, numbers banded around, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, version 1.3, cat 1, cat 2, 24fps blah blah. No wonder the av buying public are confused. The connectors are c**p and that is the only failure I have ever heard of, due to overly engineered, covered in nice shiny plastic, heavy connectors causing the cable to fall out and break the ends. It is shameful to say the least. The 0.000000000000001% who claim they can see the difference between a £5 and £100 1metre cable are welcome to continue to waste their money but for the vast majority of us, I would rather spend my money on games and movies knowing that my (okay I have £15 HDMI cables :D) cheaper cables work just as well.

How can a cable be designed for the PS3? It either meets the standards set by HDMI i.e. either cat 1 or cat 2.

Shame on you Ixos :thumbsdow

I have limited AV experience but even I can see that over a short distance PQ or AQ can't be affected by how much money you throw at a HDMI lead.

Cheap plastic hose pipe (£10.00) - water in one end - water out the other end
Diamond encrusted hose pipe (£100,000) - water in one end - water out the other end

I suppose it might be nice watering the garden with the diamond one though:D

Scott

I would rather spend my money on games and movies knowing that my (okay I have £15 HDMI cables :D) cheaper cables work just as well.

£15 :eek: you AV snob :D;) £2.99p is my maximum. :)
All the best.

Sounds like someone trying to hide their embarrassment at being robbed.....:D

I think there are a lot of people posting who are just trying to cover up their shame at buying cheap HDMI cables.

I was dubious at spending £350 on a 1m Monster Munch HDMI v.1.972, but I can promise you it's been worth every penny. I only own a humble 720p AX100 projector, but with the aid of my trusty Monster Munch I have CRT level blacks, sharpness equal to the 4k digital master, and it also turns plain old Dolby Digital into lossless PCM.

Was just gonna say - sounds like a case of it MUST be better cost it cost me more...
I use cables from ukhdmi.co.uk and have had no problems at all. think I paid £20 for a ten metre run to my PJ and it produces sparkling 1080P images no problem...

Not at all.

People are entitled to their opinion, just thought i'd mention my findings...
it may be of interest to some people who are curious.. and if not, at least it gave you some ammo to have a pop:smashin:

I'm perfectly happy with both leads and if I'm regarded as a mug for shelling out a few quid then so be it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom