1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ixos hdmi vs profigold what difference does 40 quid make?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Vindi, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Vindi

Vindi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im in the market for a better hdmi cable to get rid of the sparkly effect my current cable gives me.

Anyone use or recommend the above brands?

If not what would you reccomend if at all?

I'm just not sure whether you get what you pay for when it comes to leads!

Opinions appreciated!

2. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Vindi, you don't specify which cable you are using that is giving you 'sparklies', I'm guessing it's a cheap cable with no name.

Many here swear by Profigold as a great 'budget' cable, Ixos on the other hand have just announced that their cables are guaranteed 1080P compatible up to 7 meters, not many cable manufacturers have the balls to give a guarantee on that. The new Supra hdmi's which we are getting in the next few days are suppose to be ok with 1080P, but they are not going as far as giving a 'guarantee' :rolleyes:

Might be worth trying the Profigold first and then moving to something more substantial if your still getting those sparkiles :thumbsup:

3. Vindi

Vindi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, the current lead im using is the one bundled with my dvd player so its prolly the cheapest of the cheap.

The profigold is looking good, as im not really up for spending over £50 on a cable right now, however i dont want to shell out £50 or under and see no improvement! in which case i may as well go the whole 9 yards and buy an all singing all dancing one, hence my predicament.

4. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What kind of length are we talking here (don't say 9 yards :rotfl: ), the longer the length, the better the quality needs to be to beat those 'sparkly' monsters.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,462
    Hello Vindi

What Kit do you have?

I'm guessing you have a 2m HDMI cable (if it was a freebie).

The problem I find with lots of low cost HDMI cables is the tolerances they seem to be built too mean you can take a batch of ten cables and have issues with five of them and no issues with the other five - in theory if they are built to the HDMI 'spec' they should all work.

If you want a low cost cable that works consistently look to Molex (they invented the technology) - you can get a 2m Molex HDMI for about £20.00 on Sale or Return.

If you want something that's built to a higher spec and has (in my experience) never caused a single problem look to BetterCables - just outside your indicated budget; though guaranteed to 1080p (up to 31m) so no issues on short runs :)

See http://www.bettercables.com/hdmicables.html

Best regards

Joe

6. Vindi

Vindi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the input guys.

Im Running a Samsung le32r41bd and an samsung HD950 player, i think the cable is about 2 metres long, however a 1 metre cable would do the job fine.

A question to both of you guys, how does your sale or return policy actually work?