• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

IWatch

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
This sounds like it could one one of those things (like the iPad) where suddenly everybody realises that they want/need one!

From various rumours, it sounds like it will measure heart etc and work directly with the (again, much rumoured) Healthbook app that's coming in iOS 8.

Also, Nike (where Tim Cook is a board member) have just announced they are stopping production of their Fuelband (they've also laid of most of the staff), but will "continue to work on software".

So it sounds like the iWatch/iBand may use Nike's "Fuel" to measure things?

Either way, I'm hoping this will be another of those products that already exists in various guises, but Apple take it and make it into something special.

Rumoured for a Q3 release, it's certainly going to be an exciting autumn, what with the release of a (or maybe 2) larger screened iPhone 6.

Flashy

Distinguished Member
I can see Apple taking the ball and running with it like no-one else has or possibly could, but I don't think the product has as much scope as the iPad ever did.

The iPad didn't really do things you couldn't do already on another gadget, be it smartphone or computer, but it did do an awful lot of things. If this is too geared towards health and fitness, it's the opposite — doing something that's not really been tapped into, but limited in its scope.

Of course, all this can be ignored if Apple does what I fully expect it to — come up with a product that does far more than just sit on your wrist measuring your heart rate and whether you're moving or not.

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
I agree.

Apple will take an already in existence, but not quite working to it's potential product, work their magic on it and suddenly, everybody wants/needs one! :D

Flashy

Distinguished Member
And just like when the iPad rumours abounded, I'm sitting here telling myself I'll have absolutely no use for it. The difference this time is that I know I'm kidding myself.

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
And just like when the iPad rumours abounded, I'm sitting here telling myself I'll have absolutely no use for it. The difference this time is that I know I'm kidding myself.
You and me both! :laugh:

In fairness, I was after a fitness device, when I started (last year) to train for this year's London Marathon.

I looked at the Fuelband (original version initially and v2 later in the year), the FitBit, Jawbone and a Garmin watch.

In the end, none of them didn't really do what I wanted and how I wanted it (nice & simple!).

I'm thinking that will change with the iWatch/iBand and like you, I know resistance will be futile! :D

m1stergeorge

Prominent Member
I'm keen to get more info on a potential iwatch. Largely because I'm in New York in October so want to take advantage of the dollar lol.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom