• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

IW Swing the Ban Hammer

brumhee

Distinguished Member
Looks like IW are taking cheating seriously this time round

BBC - Newsbeat - Call of Duty has banned hundreds of gamers from MW3

The developers behind Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 say they have banned more than 1,000 players from the online version.

Infinity Ward's Creative Strategist, Robert Bowling, used Twitter to explain what was happening.

"Any attempt to cheat, hack, or glitch in #MW3 will not be tolerated. 1600+ bans issued. Updates in works."

He then went on to answer questions from his followers about how to report gamers suspected of cheating.

"There's a button in game after a match," he said. "Click on them in the lobby and it gives option to View Gamercard + Report Player.

"Stats are always recorded, we can verify and detect cheating without video proof."

Continue reading the main story
Any attempt to cheat, hack or glitch in MW3 will not be tolerated

Robert Bowling
Creative Strategist, Infinity Ward
Gamers who cheat their way to higher XP, or experience points, can often be vilified by the gaming community.

Genuine players can block them or, in this instance, follow Robert Bowling's advice and report them.

Banned for life
This is not the first time developers have been keen to take action against people cheating.

In August 2010 Rockstar Games issued a warning to people cheating in the multi-player, online version of its hit title Red Dead Redemption.

Managers gave cheats one week to delete any experience points they hadn't genuinely earned or they would be banned for life.

Speaking at the time Luke Pilgrim, 19 and from Dartford, said: "When I get XP I get a satisfaction from it because I've earned it.

"But if I was cheating I'd think that was unfair so hopefully people that do cheat, if they get banned from it, won't cheat any more."

Robert Bowling said in the case of Modern Warfare 3 different bans were available depending on how serious the cheating was.

"Every ban unique to the level of douchiness of the offense.

"The greater the douche the greater the length. PermaDouche possible."

I think this is great news and hopefully will sort the community out a bit :smashin:

r.vernon1

Established Member
Mege LOL, permadouche, I'm using that in the next lobby when we get cheaters. I have found that most cheaters do there stuff and leave the lobby soon as the game ends because if they aren't in the lobby you can't use the built in IW report system and you can't do it from the game, just the standard MS XBL one.

dave_turk

Established Member
Mege LOL, permadouche, I'm using that in the next lobby when we get cheaters. I have found that most cheaters do there stuff and leave the lobby soon as the game ends because if they aren't in the lobby you can't use the built in IW report system and you can't do it from the game, just the standard MS XBL one.

You can still report them, reported two boosters this week after I'd left the lobby.

r.vernon1

Established Member
You can still report them, reported two boosters this week after I'd left the lobby.

How do you do it after they have left?

When they are in the lobby, you can click their name, and do report player for boosting/cheating etc. That goes to IW as a report for them to look into. The other way is to do it via their gamer profile which you can from recently played players, but that goes to MS who hardly ever do anything.

LJx

Prominent Member
I think\you can get recent players up in the ingame menu to report by pressing Y and across before you find game

dave_turk

Established Member
How do you do it after they have left?

When they are in the lobby, you can click their name, and do report player for boosting/cheating etc. That goes to IW as a report for them to look into. The other way is to do it via their gamer profile which you can from recently played players, but that goes to MS who hardly ever do anything.

I think\you can get recent players up in the ingame menu to report by pressing Y and across before you find game

This, you bring your in game friends list and its either RB or RT and it brings up a list of players you've met, you can report them from there :thumbsup:

BName

Banned
Ban the under 18s noone will be playing it then i guess lol.

r.vernon1

Established Member
This, you bring your in game friends list and its either RB or RT and it brings up a list of players you've met, you can report them from there :thumbsup:

No that method only lets you report them to MS. When in the lobby if you click on there name you can report them to IW, much more likely to result in action being taken and quicker but if they leave you can't do this.

campy mccamper

Prominent Member
Why the heck didn't they just take ti out of ffa:mad: Thing is I actually enjoyed booster hunting in mw2, but with the corner campers and shocking lag issues hunting them in mw3 is horrific. Especially having nerfed all the explosives.

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Why the heck didn't they just take ti out of ffa:mad: Thing is I actually enjoyed booster hunting in mw2, but with the corner campers and shocking lag issues hunting them in mw3 is horrific. Especially having nerfed all the explosives.

Explosives are nerfed ???? dont seem like it to me.

Also snipers should be deleted, 1 shot kill unless im using the ******* thing.

dave_turk

Established Member
No that method only lets you report them to MS. When in the lobby if you click on there name you can report them to IW, much more likely to result in action being taken and quicker but if they leave you can't do this.

This is in game, at the find game screen before you choose a game type, press Y for friends, then use the right stick to move across one screen, it shows a list of people you've played against, highlight player, select gamer card, then you can choose report and give a reason, e.g. boosting.

RedAl

Distinguished Member
Seriously? Semtex is like hitting someone with a bouncy ball and for the first time in the history of COD I've ditched the toob from my AR classes.

I have to agree with you. I used to keep them for dealing with boosters and I decided to try and max out all challenges on the ACR. Seriously, its like firing soggy turds. I`m sure I hit a guy dead on and he still didnt die, i just got a hitmarker. Why the ***** did the clowns at IW nerf everything and make dickscoping easier???? Its just mindboggling. :suicide:

kav

Distinguished Member
Speaking of that, I had high hopes for that XM320 or whatever it's called, the launcher that fires multiple "frags"...may as well be firing ping-pong balls for all the effect they have. So far the only explosive devices I've had any success with are claymores, bettys, Stingers, and (to a lesser extent) semtex.

RedAl

Distinguished Member
glitches wouldnt happen if they made the game properly

its their own fault imo

I think thats a little unfair. If you think about the sheer size of the maps as in every object and then the collision control there must be trillions of possibilities and no matter how much testing they do they can never find everything. There absolutely no way they intentionally put these glitches in. It doesnt show them in a good light and they wouldnt chuck out so many updates unless they wanted to fix these problems. Just because a glitch is in the game is absolutely no excuse to exploit it in the interest of cheating.

A cheat is a cheat, whether IW put the glitch in or not.

Its like excusing a thief for thieving and blaming the shop for allowing anyone to walk in and fill their pockets without paying. And if anyone pipes up with "but they have paid" i`m going to scream. IW`s T`s & C`s very likely tell you that if you dont play the game as intended and resort to boosting/glitching then they reserve the right to kick you off it. I think thats totally fair. I`m glad they`re not pussyfooting about now. I got sick of MW2 being ruined by gutless nobs swapping fluids in dark spots of the match with Tactical (anal) Insertion and glitching inside rocks. Oh, and lets not forget the dickscoping scum as well :facepalm:

RedAl

Distinguished Member
yet they've had 2 years to make and perfect the game....

That doesnt mean they`ve had 2 years to test it for bugs and glitches though. The only real way to test it is to let serious numbers of people on it.

How many AAA releases dont get a title update as soon as you put it in the drive for the first time? Its naive to expect a game will be released and not need tweeking or updates. Thats the norm now. Whether thats right or not is debatable.

Boozehound

Banned
yet they've had 2 years to make and perfect the game....

Have you ever been involved in a large scale project? It doesn't matter how well planned and executed things are, there are always things that go wrong.

I think IW and Sledgehammer have done very well with MW3. There's not a huge deal of glitches and when the Outpost ones were discovered it was patched within days.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom