I've taken the plunge - my first plasma - Panasonic TH42PV500

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by stevethejack, Jul 14, 2005.

1. stevethejack

stevethejack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After much reading this forum (thanks VERY MUCH for all postings from everyone). I decided on the Panasonic TH42PV500 - it's being delivered tomorrow :thumbsup:

After much searching on the net, I couldn't find a better deal that John Lewis, but they are out of stock. Went to my local (2 miles away) Dixons XL for a demo and see what sort of deal they could offer.

I turned up with a tape measure, so they knew I was serious. Their deal was the TV, cabinet, DMRES10 DVD recorder for £2899. After a demo and a HD demo I knew you guys were right to recommend it. Said to the sales guy "I'm going to buy this TV, whether or not I buy it from you depends on the deal you can offer" - got to be straight-forward.

I didn't want the DMRES10 as it was not multiregion, and I never record stuff from the TV anyway, plus if I do need to, I've got a VCR, but I did want a 5 year extended warranty

The deal he came back with was: TV, cabinet, 5yr warranty, delivery & installation for £3189. Mentioning that the Dixons on-line price for the TV & cabinet (no DVD or 5yr guarantee, delivery, but not installed) was £2375 meant a chat with the manager for him. Brought him down to £2900.

I went back the next day after measuring my equipment :eek: (for the stand), got him down a further £50, if I signed 9 months interest free credit agreement - will pay it off well before then.

Major factors in favour of Dixons:
    2 miles up the road, not chasing someone off the internet if owt goes wrong
    Installation included
    Very quick installation - agreed to buy it 6pm Monday, asked for Thursday installation, got it some time between 7am-11am. 3 DAYS - NOT BAD!!
    Very good price, not the best, but very close.

Along with my new plasma, on the cabinet will be:

Shelf 1: Humax digital satellite receiver with analogue Pace 508 to move dish
    Shelf 2: VCR and cable TV box
    Bottom shelf: DVD player & Hi-fi.

Never had a TV anything like this before, best so far has been a 28" CRT non-widescreen TV, so can't cuffing wait. Happy as a pig in sh-ite right now.

Thanks again guys
    Steve

2. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I've just ordered mine from my Local Panasonic Shop. Same reason as you really. They are a local shop that I could go into and demo the screen to its full extent in my own time without hassle. Of course there was some price negotiation involved but I went in with the view that they could not beat every Internet retailer out there and came out with a deal I was satisfied with.

3. Pikeface

Pikeface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I paid 2272 which included the upgrade to DH dvd player. This included wall mount. I phoned my order through on the thursday and tv was here next day.

4. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +701
    I bought my 42PV500 from Currys website and saved £800 on the in-store price.Even though the store is only 5 miles away, they deliver from the same place,you phone the same helplines and the same technician will come out and fix it/take it away if the plasma goes wrong so I don't see the point in ordering from Currys/Dixons stores.