1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ive swopped 37" Vieri for PS42S5HX/XEU - did i do the right thing?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by derthballs, Aug 22, 2005.

1. derthballs

derthballs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Okay im a bit worried now :)

I bought my 37" panasonic vieri (the non HD version) last year from comet. Ive managed to wangle an exchange, and was about to swop for the 42" vieri HD, but it was £1000 to change (tv originally cost me £1999).

I was in store today organising the change, when i saw the PS42S5HX/XEU Samsung 42" HD, which was £500 cheaper, but a nice glass stand was another £200. This would have cost me £200 to switch to it, instead of the grand with the vieri stand on the panny.

I went back, had a read of the forums to see if there was any reviews, but seems theres none, but i wasnt hearing terrible things, so i checked the comet website, and its £1699 on there, plus half price for the stand, so £1799 all in.

I appreciate i could have got the tv another £175 cheaper online, but i wouldnt have got 2 grand for my vieri second hand, instead, ive changed to a 42" high def screen, and have £200 in my hip pocket.

So, did i do the right thing, will i be happy enough with the samsung, after 9 months with the 37" panny?

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645
    All I would say is I will be very interested in your views with the Samsung. A couple of people have gone the other way on here, Samsung to Panny, I think you may be the first to go this way.
    But to get £2k back on the old Viera is excellent.

3. derthballs

derthballs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It comes Friday, so ill let you know - I had the sagem axium prior to the vieri, and had my xbox all hi deffed for that, but the screen bleeding made me return that.

Comet cant be best pleased with me :)

4. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably not , but when you read the horror stories of large retailers you have done very well and good luck to you mate.

Let us know what its like in the "flesh"

5. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I just compared the 42" Panasonic HD Viera Pv500 and the Samsung 42" HD. I was with a colleague from work in Comet and both sets played a DVD through RGB Scart and there was no contest the Panasonic is Better. I felt that a difference of £500, given that the panasonic might be reduced next week was acceptable.

Its just me, but I felt that if I bought the Samsung I would come to regret it and wish that I had just spent the extra £500 or less and got the Panasonic.

I would say though that I kind of like the styling of the Samsung more, but its PQ Im after more than how it really looks, plus the added freeview is handy.

Just my thoughts, so heres looking forward to the end of September when I purchase my Panasonic, just hope I dont have to wait too long and hope that I can get it from JL with a Price match.

Comet had it for £2649 with Pedestal Stand, Im sure the guy would have accepted £2300 for it.

6. camorra

camorra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Saw them both back to back.....

There's no comparison.....the Panny well outperforms the Sammy!!

Cheers :hiya:

7. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Totally agree m8, now that ive seen them both together with the same DVD playing via RGB Scart then im much happier with the idea of parting with £2000+

Cant wait to get one now, offshore for 2 weeks then I'll be checking the prices when I get back, hopefully get it from JL.

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645
    Ok now everyone else has said it I will join in without getting told I am biased like I have done recently, I hate the samsung, there is some serioulsy nasty processing going on with that screen that just destroys the image.

I would cancel the delivery and start over with a credit note, once you have a credit note get them to price match and get the PV500.

9. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean,
    damned if you do , damned if you dont.....................

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645
    It is the same on every forum, not just the AV world, I wrote a review of our 3.0 A4 cab on one of the Audi forums saying that I thought it was a bag of nuts and I got crusified for it.
    Seriously, it was £37k worth of car, I wanted to absolutely adore it, but I didn't, it was boring and I just told it like it was, but all I was told was I had it all wrong.
    Funny thing was 3 people have emailed me since and said that they ignored my review and bought anyway, but totally agree and now regret the purchase.

At the end of the day we are all the same, we have to learn for oursleves, we all make mistakes, and we all buy things we probably know we shouldn't, it is whether we admit our mistakes and say it like it is afterwards to help others that matters. Not that others will listen of course, it is just a never ending cycle! :)

11. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    You should of gone for the Audi S4 m8 :)

hehe :smashin:

12. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, X5 4.8i :rotfl:

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645
    I know, anyway sold it and going for an RS4 avant in the spring if they actually release it, oh, and if I can actually afford it, there is always that small snag called money, gets me every time! :)

14. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    X5's are overated :cool: , probably a second hand (to bring down the cost) Porsche Cayenne in comparison to the new X5 is a good option. Unless you can stretch to the new 55 plate 500bhp model, but thats a waiting list jobbie.

You'll get a lot of Porsche followers trading their 450bhp turbo's in for the 500bhp model that means a lot of low millage relitivly new Cayenne turbo's knocking around at the same price as a new X5. :rolleyes:

15. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should'nt have to go the second hand porshe route,in America they are discounting them by $30,000 as people say they are too ugly!

Unless its after 2.00am :D

16. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to own a 4th gen samsung screen and it's nothing compared to the Panasonic PWD6 which I replaced it with. I'm sure it's a similar deal with these 2 tvs too. Samsungs seem to have a real problem handling motion. Just don't watch any TV with panning in ;)

17. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645
    The new ML AMG63 is looking awesome too, but I bet that is near £80k with a couple of essential options.

The new RS4 is nice and understated though, just looks like a normal family load lugger, but it is so much more. :)

18. yaris123

yaris123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i thing my samsung is fantastic, nothing up with the picture. THe problem with the tvs is that if you are displaying sd sources such as scart you will see a worse picture. You plug the 850 Hd dvd player in the back with hdmi and the picture is astounding. Your opinions are exactly opinions just as mine are but i would look at it playing hd sources as there are what are truly important otherwise i wouldnt even bother. CRT are still far better than any plasma when it comes to sd sources.

19. derthballs

derthballs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The thing is, i was going to have to spend a grand to change to the panasonic, and im £1200 beter off now, i only need to add another £900 or so, and i could have both of them and stick one in my bedroom.

Im obviously not going to be comparing it with the panny 42" HD, but against the panny 37 non HD.

The question really is, is the panasonic £1200 better?

20. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree Yaris. I have just come on here after watching TV this night through my 5H and I thought what a good picture (not least for the Southampton/Southend match on Sky). I doubt whether the knockers on this thread have owned a new Sammy or have used one for any length of time. And roll on HD next year - then the 5H will really come into its own.

21. derthballs

derthballs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thats great to know Chavvy - i watch a lot of football, and the bleeding on my sagem axium during football was the reason that i got rid of it for the panasonic in the first place. I was quite concerned about bleeding on the samsung.

22. derthballs

derthballs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thats great to know Chavvy - i watch a lot of football, and the bleeding on my sagem axium during football was the reason that i got rid of it for the panasonic in the first place. I was quite concerned about bleeding on the samsung.

23. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marrez, what I have found with mine is that the picture gets better after its been run in. I've had my 5H now for over two months and its definitely better than it was initially (i.e. the colours are more natural) and also after adjusting the settings, although the original settings now look a lot better also. I was thinking of getting a 500 also, but saved a substantial amount by getting the 5H instead.

24. Matt.Wild

Matt.Wild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I'm thinking the same as you guys. I've seen both side by side. Yes the Panasonic looks better. Does it look £1000-1200 better? Is it almost 100% better? No!

If the difference was say £1400 for the Samsung and £1600-1700 for the Panasonic then i'd have a harder choice choosing but since its closer to £1k then its not a particurly hard choice.

Putting my buying off till the Xmas bonus for me - hopefully the Samsung will be closer to £1k making the choice a no brainer :D

25. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I'm amazed that people really think the Samsung PS42S5H will become even cheaper over the next few months.

Samsung took a very brave step in street pricing an HD 42" Plasma TV at around the £1500 mark.

Samsung need not do ANYTHING until Panasonic wake up and realise how overpriced their HD Plasma TVs are.

A 42" 500B Viera with deskstand will cost at least another £700!

A 42" PHD8 Panel with deskstand, SCART and HDMI will cost at least another £1100!

So unless Panasonic drop a Bombshell - I can't see Samsung tinkering with their pricing.

Gussie :)

26. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645
    I don't think Panasonic need to do anything with their pricing, not in response to Samsumg, Hitachi etc. maybe when the 436xde is released as that is serious competition, but saying they need to drop the price because of the Samsung is like saying Mercedes need to drop the price if the S class to compete with the VW Passat.

27. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645

I have never seen much of a difference in a shop between any of the brands, it is when you get home and calibrate them that the differences become apparent!

28. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    The PHD8 is probably a fine panel and I'd like one - in fact I was ready to look at the PWD8 - but stopped in my tracks when I saw the new pricing of that and now the PHD8.

No way am I going to pay another £700 never mind even more.

Nor am I rushing out to buy the Samsung - I will wait and see what happens.

Over a month ago I said the PHD8 would be around £2500 ... silly prices

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228466

but this was disputed by MAW who stated ...

Gussie, £2k will get you an HD8 within a few weeks of release.

Well I can't see that happening and it only proves if the truth be told that even retailers must be somewhat shocked at Panasonics new 8 Series pricing

Gussie :)

29. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My Mum has a 3.0 A4 which I drive occasionally. It's very nice but uninvolving and not particularly quick.
    I've got an S4 4.2. Now that 's a different animal altogether.Fantastic (but thirsty :eek: )

30. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The difference in price at the moment is not £1000. The difference for me is between £1488 for the samsung or at the moment £1999 and just my opinion but I felt the panasonic was far better, well worth an extra 500. Of course if the panasonic comes down by 2-300 then its even closer, which may happen next monday (heres hoping)

Im not slagging of the Samsung as its a nice machine, but comparing the 2 of them side by side, the Panasonic was far better and well worth the extra expense