I've seen the future... and it's Beer Butt Chicken...

Chadford

Distinguished Member
...Cooked Jamie Olivers Beer Butt Chicken at the weekend. :thumbsup: Not sure I'll be able to go back to cooking a conventional oven roast chicken. A quick trawl on t'internet shows that I'm not alone.

Looks pervy (think Peter Gabriel Sledgehammer video) - tastes fab.

Can't find Jamie's recipe on the net (he uses a spicy rub) but this shows the basic method...

Beer Butt Chicken Recipe | Beer Can Chicken | Drunken Chicken Oven | Beer Can Chicken Rack

Anyone else tried this technique before?

Hitby

Looks interesting. Will give that a go :)

hodg100

Distinguished Member
...Cooked Jamie Olivers Beer Butt Chicken at the weekend. :thumbsup: Not sure I'll be able to go back to cooking a conventional oven roast chicken. A quick trawl on t'internet shows that I'm not alone.

Can't find Jamie's recipe on the net (he uses a spicy rub) but this shows the basic method...

Beer Butt Chicken Recipe | Beer Can Chicken | Drunken Chicken Oven | Beer Can Chicken Rack

I'm loving the 1st comment on that link

i love beer, i love butt, i love chicken
:D

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member

Works well with Coca-Cola too :)

CraigofScotland

Distinguished Member
the future sure does look tasty.

:thumbsup: wonder if it will work with cider . . for that appley taste.

RidleyDeckard

I know what I'm eating this weekend then :thumbsup:

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't be happy exposing an aluminium beer can to heat. Who knows what reaction one may get from the paints and internal polymer coating. I don't think they're designed for oven use!

In testing a few years ago the amount of aluminium in beer stored at room temperature for a number of months was found to be 25% higher compared to it being stored in a fridge. There is a suggestion that aluminium ingestion may have an impact on mental health.

Exposing the can and contents to 190C is not advisable in my book; I'd exercise caution in stuffing a coated aluminium can up the backside of a basting bird!

eric pisch

Novice Member
I wouldn't be happy exposing an aluminium beer can to heat. Who knows what reaction one may get from the paints and internal polymer coating. I don't think they're designed for oven use!

In testing a few years ago the amount of aluminium in beer stored at room temperature for a number of months was found to be 25% higher compared to it being stored in a fridge. There is a suggestion that aluminium ingestion may have an impact on mental health.

Exposing the can and contents to 190C is not advisable in my book; I'd exercise caution in stuffing a coated aluminium can up the backside of a basting bird!

several studies linking absorbed metals to parkinson's and alzheimer's

theres a gizzmo that does this that they sell on the shopping channels, infact in one of the pics it looks like the chickens on one of these frames and then has a beer inside it

Hitby

If it's in Jamie Olivers cookbook I'm sure they will have vetted the recipe for safety, if only to safeguard themselves from any potential legal issues from the "I ate Jamies beer butt chicken every day for 10 years and now have alzheimers" crew.

IronGiant

The Alzheimers scare was nearly responsible for the death of the untreated aluminium pan for a number of years. Look in any professional kitchen though and you will see that the roasting dishes are almost always untreated aluminium used at those temperatures and aluminium as a cooking surface is making a comeback in the domestic environment. I take the point about paint and polymers though...

Dave

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
If it's in Jamie Olivers cookbook I'm sure they will have vetted the recipe for safety, if only to safeguard themselves from any potential legal issues from the "I ate Jamies beer butt chicken every day for 10 years and now have alzheimers" crew.

I very much doubt it.

Prairie Fare: Beer Cans and Flour Pots are Questionable Cooking Containers

"As I received questions about the safety of beer can chicken, I consulted materials from the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Food and Drug Administration. Scientists from both agencies had their concerns.

Some experts warned that beer cans are not designed to be used as cooking utensils. The inks used on the outside of the cans have not been tested for their safety when coming in contact with food. The beer cans could be toxic or carcinogenic when heated, they warned. "

electrolyte

So I gave this a try last night:

Before

After

The finished meal

And I have to admit I wasn't that impressed. Don't get me wrong, the chicken was nice but wasn't as nice as my normal method. The breast meat was a little dry. And the chicken fell over twice in the oven so I had to stay near the oven the whole time in case it fell over again.

My usual method - Nigel Slater's "Classic, unmucked-about-with roast chicken" recipe from his Appetite book - produces much nicer chicken.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Will any beer do or does some thought need to go into this?

Chadford

Distinguished Member
So I gave this a try last night:
And I have to admit I wasn't that impressed. Don't get me wrong, the chicken was nice but wasn't as nice as my normal method. The breast meat was a little dry.

Tried it again yesterday. :smashin: What's noticeable is that it takes *much* less time to cook than a conventional roast. I've a digital thermometer, so I tend to use that to tell me when its done. If your meat was a little dry then I suspect that maybe you had overcooked it a tad, it should be very moist.

And the chicken fell over twice in the oven so I had to stay near the oven the whole time in case it fell over again.

On doing a bit of reading - the falling over thing can be a problem, so I bought one of these last week...

Beer Can Chicken Roaster on eBay (end time 02-Feb-10 11:04:25 GMT)

...worked a treat.

Last edited:

IronGiant

Now all you need is a stainless steel Oven Grade beer can to put in it:D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett