1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've searched with no luck, connecting a PC to HDTV question.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Rook, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Rook

Rook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, I'm new here and very impressed by the amount of knowledge on this board, its way over my head and I'm still trying to understand a lot of it.

Anyway, my question stems from the fact that I recently purchased a Sony KF-42 WE610 widescreen LCD Projection HDTV. This has three HD inputs on the back, two component video and one DVI input.

The manual states that the DVI connector is NOT compatible with personal computer outputs. So I'm trying to find a way to connect the PC via Component video.

I found this product http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/hdtv-cables.html#hd15rgb, should this just plug and GO with most any video card? (sorry if this is such a newbie question). I read the Radeon guide and while that has a lot of information about configuring the card, it doesn't have ANY information about what cables to connect the card to your home theater with.

Any input at all would be great. I'm just trying to figure out if I can use my current video card in the machine with just a cable or if I need to buy a Radeon, if so which one should I buy and do I need to buy another cable for it?

Thanks for any help, I have searched but I haven't found anything to really help me out.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    In that case they've got no right to call it a "DVI" connector I'd have thought. :eek:

3. Rook

Rook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the manual:
    I dunno!

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Okay, that shouldn't mean per se you can't connect a PC to it.

Without going into the details, HDCP is a copy-protection system that uses DVI to link to devices, if a DVD player for instance is trying to play NON-protected material the display device SHOULD display it.

My projector has an HDCP-compliant DVI connector but works perfectly with my PC.

5. Rook

Rook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KraGorn, what sort of video card are you using? what resolutions have you found as supported with the DVI output?

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Radeon 9600 ... standard resolutions out of the box, some displays can be auto-detected using DCC ... if all else fails use Powerstrip.

7. Rook

Rook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, I found Radeon 9600 Pros for $111 with the 256mb memory. I think I'm going to pick one of those up and get a DVI cable and try it out. if I can get the PC connected via DVI I'll be very happy.

Powerstrip looks great! I should be able to setup the resolution to match the LCD Wide XGA resolution that the Sony Supports, 1368x788 (odd, huh?).

What sort of television are you using?

Thanks again for your help.

8. Rook

Rook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0