1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've picked 4 projectors, now which one ladies and gents??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Vassago_m, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Vassago_m

Vassago_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right the following I have picked after hours of ready articles in this forum, web and magazines.

However they might not be to every ones tatse but for what I need and want they seem to suit me fine.

Budget / mid range:

1. Panasonic PT-AE100 £947 inc vat and £20 P&P
    2. Sanyo PLV-30 £1589.87 inc VAT and delivered

Mid / High range

3. Sony VPL-HS10 £1997.50 inc VAT and £20 P&P
    4. Epson TW-100 £2,206.65 inc VAT and same again for P&P

The only down fall I can see from the ae100 is the pix def, only 800x600, but on the up side, the bulbs are only £150 and its cheap as chips!! (some one kill me for talking like that fake tan man of bargain hunters!!!!)

The sanyo looks good, but as I a noob to projectors as my knowledge lies in Amps, receivers and DVDs, out of the two I would have to go for this, but the down side is the money. Until I hear of some good re-marks and then Ill get that.

Sony : Looks good and reviews are good from every one.
    Epson : Same again, but the money is a little more and I'm not sure if £300 more is worth a little better in my eyes. I want a bloody lot better.

Well I have to read plenty of suggestions to help me decide and thxs....

:smashin:

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Vassago

Sorry to say this but posts like this are just so boring. All these projectors have already been done to death in these forums if you'll only use the Search function and not expect everyone else to do all the workk for you.

You also give absolutely no idea of what you are looking for in a projector, what you are expecting or what kit you will be using it with or for. How you can expect anyone to give you advice with no clues is beyond me.

I do not intend to be rude or harsh but for goodnes sake how on earth do you expect to get any suitable advice for YOUR situation is beyond me.

Finally, there is only one person who can decide - YOU - and only one way to do it - DEMOS.

Get out there and see some :)

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    PM Received from Vassago_m

"cheers for all the nice information you gave.
    Well seem as i'm new to projectors, b-band and the internet I knew nothing of this!!!!!

But thanks for all the ****!! really..

As you were so helpful here goes then:

Kit I'm using with it:

Onkyo 989 amp, Onkyo DV-S757 dvd player, B&W series 3 speakers, PS2, XBOX.

13 foot by 16.5 foot room, with a single 2 seater in there.

I am looking for any upto a 6 foot screen which can either be electrical or manual.

If you need any more information, then just give me some more **** for being new and this boring sod will let you have it.

Thanks again..."

If this is the way you expect to get help, support and advice on this forum from someone who spends hours helping those who are prepared to help themselves then I suggest you rethink your strategy.

Further PMs from you will be denied.

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Neil,

It's becoming clear that the forum is getting so-called "newbies" at regular intervals taking the p*** . This is not the first - you will recall over the last few weeks we had a spate of "me tooo" merchants, and people posting the most rediculous questions - the start of this thread clearly indicates that this person is messing about.

IMO, that PM is sufficient grounds for a ban.

Kramer,

Please close this thread - someone's been shaking the idiot tree.

Sean G.

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,427
    Hold up !!
    Newbies are welcome here and Messiah there is no excuse for being rude in the way you were.
    You could have got your point over to Vassago_m without being so unwelcoming.
    If I find regulars being as rude as this in future it is they who will get banned and IMO Vassago_m was justified in sending you that PM.

theritz this thread is absolutely NOT getting closed until Vassago_m gets some kind of reasonable answer. He's asking for some comments from people with experience with those projectors.

I apologise to Vassago_m for the unacceptable behaviour you encountered.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    IMO, Messiah's initial response to the query, whilst not wrong, was somewhat condescending to the new member - whose initial query was polite and reasonable. If I had been that new member, I'd probably have felt motivated to respond to Messiah in the manner he did.

*EDIT: Spectre beat me to it. I agree with what he says 100%

7. Vassago_m

Vassago_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All I wanted from you guys was for you to stand back and let me know which in your eyes prodcues the best picture quality, clarity, features and ease of use in a standard size room, using standard kit. I mean it doesn't take much to think of that. Yeah I understand a little what Messiah was saying, in the way of kit, but to come back like that wasn't very nice.

As I have said I'm new and if he told me where the archives where so I could read the reviews on the projectors you guy, not forgetting the women have wrote, then I would of gladly read them.

So can anyone point me in the right direction, as it looks like ur not going to give me any information on this subject.

8. erikkr

erikkr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For a starter , pic the Panny AE100 ; it's not the best one but it's a good one. And by the way ; when i picked that one a year ago , i knew at least the resolution of that thing ; its 856 x 480 , not 800 x 600 .

9. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Hi vassago, welcome to the forums, dont be put off because these forums are superb.

I can tell you that the Sanyo PLV30, although quite an old model now is stunning in the picture dept, really good colours and pin sharp detail, particuarly on component output from DVD, on a good quality disc it looks almost 3D.

The only downside is the noise the fan noise which is 38db, although when i get round to it, a hush box will sort that out.
    Bulb life is around 2000 hours.

10. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,427
    On a general note, people asking 'difficult' questions like this - which has the best picture quality out of 4 projectors - are unlikely to get many (or any) replies because not many people will have seen all 4 projectors.

11. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    well I'm not usually one to speak up on things that dont directly concern me but as a fairly long standing forum member this thread makes me feel that I must say something.

vassago_m
    How did you come to the choice of these 4 in the first place ? oh yes, you've spent hours reading up on them on these very forums (as you said) and the web (as you said) yet (according to your PM) are new to the forums and the internet. Unfortunately your post and your PM contradict each other.

Your post states that you would consider a PTAE100 cos of the price and bulb price, fine..yet the Sanyo could be a better option although price was a problem, fair comment as it seems you have a pretty vague budget in mind.
    A few lines down you're then considering an HS10 which costs over twice the Panny and then you talk about the Epson at even more money but dont know if it's worth the £300 more than the HS10...yet a couple of minutes earlier you were concerned about the money side when looking at the Sanyo over the PTAE100

To put a saying 'which one' out of 4 units that differ in price by over 100% is like putting your hand in a lucky dip and has to be asking for some 'newbie' bashing from somewhere.

as for the PM...I dont expect that is anyway to try and entice information from anyone under any circumstances..

I think messiah said what many would have said (albeit in a slightly different manner maybe) we were all newbies once, but I dont remember ever feeling the need to send an abusive PM simply because I didn't get the answer I wanted.

12. Vassago_m

Vassago_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spectre, do me a favour and close this thread. If people cant make sense of a Budget / mid range and mid / range comments I have put. As the whole point was if I could get a good PJ for as little as poss, then I would. Thats why I picked the Panny and Sanyo, then I went for the higher range : Epson and Sony.

So you cant win, and to be honest I'm sick of the condecending comments a noob like me gets from a post like this.

Cheers,

Vass

13. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    mate, you are the one that wrote that you HAD come to the choice by reading these very forums and the web. Also your concept of the whole budget thing wouldn;t come into it as YOU portray that the extra for the Sanyo over the panny could present a financial problem.

read what you have written and not what you want to read..

there is absolutely nothing condecending about my post above it is all snippets from your posts/Pm.

14. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    PM received.

"LIKE I GIVE A ****IN ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    COMPLETE ****ER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Thank goodness for the expletive removal feature eh!!! :)

15. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Spectre,

I'd say that the reasonable answer was contained in
    this thread.

I very strongly believe in putting forth a welcoming face on the forums for newcomers - anyone who wants to check previous posts by me in response to such questions will find ample evidence of that. Like others, I am happy to give my time to share experiences and opinions on the forum - with regulars and newcomers alike.

Recent thread-starting here however has suggested to me that there have been so-called newcomers - people starting threads who are doing so just to make mischief - which devalues the forum as a whole.

I agree with Steve - when I was new to this forum I wouldn't have dreamt of sending someone a rude PM - for goodness sake, I wouldn't do it now.

If Vassago is indeed a genuine newcomer, then I believe that he has been given good advice in the thread indicated here. However, there is a world of difference between someone looking for information and someone who is messing.

Vassage posted the following on 26/6:

.....and then starts this thread the following day.........

Sean G.

16. smudge to you

smudge to you

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try looking at the panasonic pt ae200. Its better spec, doesn't appear to be plagued by the same probs as pt ae100 as descibed throughout this forum. It can be had for £999 with dead pixel check. I'm in similar position, which PJ for money etc. and head turned and subsequent budget stretched by each new model. Only prob is I have not seen too many reviews for this model.

17. KeithO

KeithO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Guys, the best way to deal with this if the thread annoys you is to just not respond...

18. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Well said. It's amazing how these things can get so out of hand when we commmunicate via a faceless keyboard. I don't think that this "conversation" would have taken a turn like this had we all being sitting around a table having a chat. Putting the content of this thread in that context may have us thinking that some of the replys have been a little rude.

Anyway, personally if I had up to two grand to spend I would not look at the AE100. It's a super machine but the reliability thing would worry me some. The HS10, (the pj I am currently using) is an excellent piece of kit especially from a PC usibg DVI input. That said it has a very good scaler onboard and gives a very good picture using component input and even svideo. It has a very long throw by todays standards which may or may not suit your needs. I have mine 13.5 feet from the screen and the smallest size image it gives is about 6.5 feet (measured horizontally, not diagonally).

Not the not so good: The fan will kick into high mode if you have any heating on in the room, specially if it's ceiling mounted. And in high mode the noise leve is just not acceptable IMHO. You would need to look at a hush box or (as in my case) have it firing through a hole in the wall from an adjacent room. Also if black level is a big issue for you you may find the HS10's contrast a bit offputting. I've come from a Tosh MT3 (which was considered pretty good in it's day) and the HS10 is a big improvement so that doesn't really bother me. You get a "cinema" filter with the pj but you can also buy a CCR40 filter I hate to say this :) but try a search for this.

Hope this helps

An extreemly happy HS10 owner

BTW welcome to the forum:hiya:

Conor

19. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,427

I have checked the PMs and Vassago_m did indeed sent the above PM.
    Permanent ban from the AV Forums for Vassago_m.

20. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    As I said in my post I wouldn;t have posted at all, it;s just one of those things, but the whole PM thing was wrong and I felt it necessary to speak up, a mass used forum like these requires some level of integrity and this crossed the line.
    Thankyou Spectre, the right thing to do IMO.