I've ordered, but am hanging back!!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by bitofatit, Mar 26, 2006.

1. bitofatit

bitofatit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I'm nervous all this wait and anticiptation. In the back of my mind I'm thinking - maybe the 1st box release might not be too good; maybe the PQ might be just OK and not fantasic?!! :rolleyes:
    So I've ordered and will put off the installation until some of you trail blazer do the road test, and could then cancel if you don't tell me how good it is! - Shocking really but I'm a B of T!
    Anyone else thinking the same?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Nope:)

I suspect if you do not take up your pre-order in the first month then you will lose it.
    The first SKY digibox was reliable, the first SKY+ has been reliable so I have no worries over the first SKY+ HD. As for content well with the whole industry (friendly and unfriendly) looking at SKY's HD efforts they have every incentive to get it right first time around.

3. Mattk84

Mattk84
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Also,if its crap I will call them and get them to repair or replace.

4. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Surely you'll buy the extended warranty for an extra £240 for 3 years year :devil:

Steve.

5. MKRich

MKRich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    never waited in the past, don't see any reason to this time, I have never been disappointed in the past with 1st release boxes (I still have my original 1st release digibox working fine as part of my multiroom package, 1st release Sky + downstairs still going strong)

I may have just been lucky but remember this, generally speaking people only come on these types of forums when they have a problem they are trying to resolve so I tend to find that forums offer a slightly distorted view of the truth on reliability as you end up reading about problems others have had and tend to get paranoid about reliability.

I prefer to think that Sky would not release a product like this (described as a premium product) without being 99% sure that what they are bringing to the public will wow the majority. Remember those of us who have already seen HD are in the vast minority, people who have not seen it and have pre-ordered IMO will be blown away!:smashin:

6. bitofatit

bitofatit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    thx guys - still nervous - just expectant now: calm down, calm down.
    I'm waiting for the first posts from the lucky first view.
    I was wondering how adept the installer needs to be to set things up most effectively? I have heard stories of some installers not being too good, but generally they seem to be fairly sound.
    Will twiddling with the set up make that much of a diffence? To be honest I usually leave it be in case I screw things up :(

P.S now be honest you guys, u don't work for Sky, Thomson or have shares in Sky do you !!;)

7. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    most sky installers don't bother to switch on RGB on standard boxes, how likely you think it is that they'll do this stuff better than you can? :)

I expect there will be some special training/briefing - I'm quite interested to see what the installer knows when he turns up

8. bitofatit

bitofatit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Me 2 - it won't take that much too know more than me!

9. Madkitty

Madkitty
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think its luck of the draw really. first box was fine and then boy did I have problems with sky+ boxes until they gave me a free 160 to shut me up - well that was after 7 boxes within 2 months that packed up :rotfl: must admit never had a problem with the 160!!!

10. andypearce

andypearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If you already have Sky+ then there's not much to do besides check the signal strength (to make sure your dish hasn't moved out of alignment) and to connect up the box to the TV with the connection you think is best (I'll personally be trying the HDMI but may have to switch to component if the picture isn't centred correctly.) I'm also going to insist that the output is set to 720p rather than 1080i as I know this better matched the resolution of my panel. You only need to invetigate the best resolution and connection type for your TV to ensure you have the best setup.