I've never owned a dvd recorder.....

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by NapoleonGuitarSolo, Feb 7, 2009.

1. NapoleonGuitarSolo

NapoleonGuitarSolo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    ..... but hopefully that will change :)

Okay guys, I worry about buying kit when I’m hung over (and I am very hung over) but with your help I might just risk it.

I want a new recorder (dvd c/w hdd) and having read through a few pages in this section of the forum the safe bets, for circa £200 , appear to be the Sony HXD890, Panasonic EX78 or Pioneer DVD545.

Apart from the obvious day to day recording, my main requirements are that the machine be used to archive old VHS stock and also replace my failing scart switcher by allowing me to connect up my SKY box and, just have one hdmi lead from equipment rack to the TV.

DIVX would be nice, but isn’t essential.

Do the above allow me to do all this? Also, have I missed any contenders off the short list that I should also be considering?

I look forward to your comments but please don’t shout :(

2. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    other contenders are any other modern pioneer , panasonic or sony recorders

I only know the sony models so an 890 or 995 , or the older 870 or similar , depending on price of course
    amazon have the 870 for £179.99p with free delivery at the moment

and you wont get passthrough from the input to the output if you use hdmi from recorder to tv , so if its busy recording freeview you wont get sky as an alternative to watch , because the passthrough is scart to scart , not scart to hdmi

so I dont think you will get away with just the one lead , unless you compromise on your ability to watch one channel while recording another channel

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  3. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    As ramjet says , you will not be able to achieve your objective with just one lead.

You could add a Pioneer 560 to your list of considerations.

I think the Panasonic EX78 will probably suit you best as that will provide RGB pass through via scart for sky when the EX78 is recording itself [ You cannot use HDMI under these circumstances]

Any machine will archive from VHS so this is not really a factor for consideration.

It supports DivX from USB memories and certain disc types... but most of all, as you are new to DVDR's, this would be the easiest machine for you to operate.

4. keyap

keyap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If these were bought tapes macrovision could be a problem.

5. NapoleonGuitarSolo

NapoleonGuitarSolo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The 560 is now added to the list initial browsing suggests it could be a front runner, neck and neck with the 78.

Macrovision - With regards to tapes of the purchased variety, I only have a few music videos left. If I can't copy them it wont be the end of the world. But it's a fair point well made.

Thanks for your time guys.

6. NapoleonGuitarSolo

NapoleonGuitarSolo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Now the hangover is fading and I'm thinking about this more clearly, what you say makes sense. I would still be able to retire the failing trilogy 1 scart switcher because the SKY box would be the only device left using scart.

So, if the EX78 is the only recorder to offer the pass through then here I would daisy chain the SKY box through the recorder. If I understand correctly, then with the others I would use the tv out scart, on the SKY box, to connect to the TV and the VCR out connected to the recorder. The only slight disadvantage here would be the lack of RGB output to the recorder; which I guess is a tick in the box for the panny.

7. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    the sky box TV out scart goes to the recorder to preserve the RGB and also the widescreen flags

so the vcr scart output would go to the tv if you still require it , but you dont require it if you also scart from the recorder to the tv allowing RGB pass through to occur

8. NapoleonGuitarSolo

NapoleonGuitarSolo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If I understood Gavtech correctly, I might need it. He seemed to imply that only the Panasonic would preserve scart loop through whilst recording freeview on the recorder. So if, for example, I went with the Pioneer I wouldn't be able to watch SKY whilst making a Freeview recording unless I employed both scart outputs.

Is that correct?

9. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    the sony ( made by pioneer ) and pioneer will give you scart loopthrough even when recording freeview , but on the sony and pioneer models you have to press the programme up button on the recorder itself in order to see the RGB loop through and not the freeview channel being recorded

so no you dont need the vcr scart to tv , but can use it if you wanted to , or you could even use the sky box rf coax channel between 21 and 69 if you needed to

the point here is that you cannot loopthrough from scart to hdmi , only scart to scart , and on the sony/pioneer you have to force it with that channel up button when the unit is recording from an internal tuner

10. NapoleonGuitarSolo

NapoleonGuitarSolo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ramjet, thanks for the info; it really helps in the decision making process.

I'm happy I can live with a set-up that operates as you describe.

I think I will concerntrate my efforts on deciding between 560 and the 78.

Cheers,

11. Kadinsky

Kadinsky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Im looking at the Pioneer dvr-560 recorder too. Let us know how you get on.

12. NapoleonGuitarSolo

NapoleonGuitarSolo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    6 months later and I finally got around to making a purchase. And the machine purchased............................ Sony HXD995.

Pretty nice, recordings and connections are all I could have hoped for, especially for 217 notes. The only thing I'm down about at the moment is navigating through a recording on the hdd. On my old Humax this was easily done by picking your point from a time-line but I can't find anything a simple or as intuative on the Sony but maybe I just haven't found it yet.

I've only had it for a day so need to really need to RTFM, particularly with recordings to dvd as I'd like to insert index points for home-made music dvd's, to split up the tracks. Would I be better doing this on a PC/MAC?

13. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    you can set the chaptering on the recorder for auto chaptering every so many minutes , and it will chapter at transitions as well , so use the chapter skip to flick through a recording , same as you would on a commercial dvd

there are methods of inserting chapter points on the machine , but I always think its easier and better to fo it on my pc , author a dvd and burn to a dvd -R disk , so I use verbatim +RW disks to transport the recordings to the pc for editing , authoring and the final burn , exactly in the manner you describe