1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've narrowed down my choices

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by PioRow, Mar 10, 2005.

1. PioRow

PioRow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    After a bit of research and trawling through threads on this forum into the wee hours (I find this forum a bit addictive!!) I've narrowed my decision on what flat panel to buy to 2 screens.
    Pioneer 435xde and the Sharp LC37GA3E

I will be sitting between 4,8 and 12 feet away. I know that's a bit useless for viewing distance so lets call it 6 feet away. My main uses will be 30% TV viewing 30% DVD and 40% gaming.
    Here are the pros and cons as I see it of the 2 panels.

Price: All in, the Pioneer with a stand and delivery is £3000, The Sharp can be £2500 with stand and delivery. So the sharp has the benefit of a £500 saving which could go towards a new DVD player with DVI or HDMI.

Size: The Pioneer has an extra 6 inches, question is though is 37" big enough. I have a big room and will be sitting pretty close for gaming (4 feet) and maybe 8 feet away for DVD watching. This is the big issue for me, whether the 37" sharp is going to be big enough. I currently have a 32" Sony CRT but the Sharp actually has 37" viewable screen compared to the 32" Sony which only has just over 30" viewable. This is what I am worried about. I buy the sharp and a few weeks down the line I think 37" isn't big enough.

Compatibility & Inputs: Both TV's have great inputs. Both HDCP compatible, one with HDMI one with DVI, no real difference just a different DVD player or cross over cable needed. Sharp has its inputs on the back of the TV and the Pioneer has them in a media box. I prefer the media box option. One advantage the Pio has is a VGA input although on the front of the media box this would be handy especially for plugging the gamecube in via VGA. Pioneer has 2 RGB scarts while the Sharp has 1, slight advantage to the Pio. Both have component and s-video. Overall I give the Pio the advantage

Features: The Pio has built in freeview which is a big bonus, no need for a external box, with the sharp I would have to ensure I got a RGB freeview box as the non RGB box I have now is suppose to look like sh*te on a LCD. Both do picture in picture. Both are HDCP future proof. Slight advantage to the Pio.

Overall: This is where I need your input. Which would you go for? I think it boils down to the screen size. I think. I plonk myself down pretty close to the TV when playing videogames, about 4 foot so how will the Pio and the sharp cope with a component signal. I know the Pio isnt great at handling analogue signals but how does it cope with consoles through component?
    Is 37" enough? Will I feel disappointed with 37", would I be more happy with 43"? Is the £500 price difference worth paying for an extra 6"?
    How about screen burn? Seeing as I am playing videogames which tend to have static images (stats etc) will I end up harming my Plasma by playing videogames.
    Are there any inherent advantages to either LCD or plasma that I am missing?

Any advice appreciated?

PS
    I also considered a PIO MXE1 with a scaler but lack of current HDCP compatibility ruled it out.

2. hillster

hillster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've had my 435XDE for a week now, I sit about 12 feet away which is about right for me (for DVD's). I wouldn't want to sit six feet away while watching a DVD as you can see imprefections in the picture at that distance. I've not connected any of my consoles up to it yet but I'd say four feet away for gaming is too close (again personal preference).

As for screen burn I have experienced it a little after watching Sky Sports News for about 15 minutes but thankfully it only lasted a short time and has now gone. I've clocked up 50 hours at present so hopefully burn won't be an issue after 200+ hours but time will tell.

For your viewing distances I'd lean towards the Sharp but then again the XDE is a beautiful screen, decisions, decisions...

Good luck with your purchase

3. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Fwiw, I'd always plump for the bigger screen size, all other things being about equal. I have a Panny 36" CRT and was very happy with the screen size, but when I purchased my Hitachi 42" plasma it looked positively tiny in comparison! I know the viewing area of a CRT is typically less than that of a same-sized flat screen in many cases but I think, in the long run, you'll wish for more screen.

As a matter of interest, why do you sit closer for gaming? If it's a physcial restriction (cable lengths etc.) then you can always get extensions.

Either way, happy viewing:)

ALI

4. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    It's been said many times before but I don't think too many people buy a certain size screen, then wish they had gone for the smaller. It's nearly always the other way round. I was wondering whether the 435 xde would dominate my average size room but now I'd have no problem having the 50".

Regarding the Pio MXE1, I think MAW will tell you that HDCP is coming soon to these screens and it's apparently better for picture quality than the xde.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    also consider the Sharp 37GD1E (built in freeveiw) and the GD1E and XDE are more closely related than one might think!!!!!

6. PioRow

PioRow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I did consider the 37GD1E but its £1000 more epxensive, thats a huge jump in price and from what I can tell its just got a freeview tuner which doesnt justify the extra grand!!

I am aware that the 4 feet for gaming is a bit close but I feel that I would extend to 6-8 feet with a bigger screen.

hillster you have a pioneer 435, what would you recommend, would you recommend the Pioneer or the sharp? Also could you plug one of your consoles into the 435 at some point and report back on what the quality is like. I'm concerned about screen burn on a plasma with video games.

If the MXE1 had a HDCP card available now that would be a viable option, probably a better option than the XDE but its not available and as people say on this forum you cant sit around and wait for the next big thing, just gotta jump in and buy something!

SO whats it to be, sharp or pioneer??

7. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    out of interest where are you planning on buying the sharp?

8. PioRow

PioRow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19