1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've managed to save £850 and I could do with a little guide on 32" widescreen TV.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ExCIA, Oct 22, 2003.

1. ExCIA

ExCIA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good evening

Looks like a good place to make friends. :hiya:

Anyway, I've managed to save about £850 and I would like to get a nice 32" widescreen TV especially from John Lewis (in Bristol) since I live about 30 miles from it in South Wales.

I already have NTL TV cable and I do watch a lot of sport especially football, track/field and etc. I watch DVD movies a lot too.

I don't really need Dolby 5.1 system and NICAM Stereo Sound will do. My main concern in image quality just like everybody else on this forum.

Everybody seem to suggest to get Sony KV32FX68, but about the buzzing issue since my living room is small (approx 15' by 8')?

I also saw some nice Panasonic TV at Comet and the image was amazing, but I've noticed that many members in here seem to suggest to stay away from Panny like the plague. Why is that?

I am getting the impression that a simple 100Hz TV are better than some so called "super 100Hz digital" ones where it kind of make it worse, right?

Again, thanks for any help I may receive and I hope this will become my online home. :)

Cheers.

2. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There

Welcome to the forums.

I have the Sony FQ70, this is 100hz Digital Plus, I have experienced no problems at all with the picture. I believe is it the model up from the FX68 with a few extra features. A few threads on the forum recently seem to have preferred the FQ70 to the FX66.

I use it to watch DVD's and cable. The sound is ok as well.

The picture is fine when watching sports too.

It seems to be the the tv's with extra processing that have more side effects, but the quality of pictures seems to be better as well.

I had a pixel plus set previously and this had black bars and a haloing problem, and it left trails behind fast moving objects, although the picture quality IMO was fantastic. Seemed to be so detailed. The haloing effect wasnt a problem at first, but the more I watched it, the more annoying it got.

The FQ70 doesn't suffer any problems I have noticed, but the picture doesn't seem to quite as detailed. Still has a v. good picture though.

The only slight problem, is like you mentioned, the set does buzz. It is not very loud and is most noticeable when you first switch the TV on and it is cold. Once it has warmed up and I have been watching a while, I don't notice the buzzing at all. A few other FQ70 owners on the forums have had sets that don't buzz as well.

Hope this is of some assistance to you.

Regards.

Paul. :smashin:

3. ExCIA

ExCIA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your response and since I'll be going to John Lewis in Bristol on the weekend to witness the image quality myself. What shall I arm myself with before I go?

Some price quotes from places like TVandVideo.com and etc?

What are the best places should I get my quotes from?

Any pit falls I need to be aware of?

Thanks again.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK mate why not look at David Morgan and Howells in cardiff before you go over to bristol for 850 there are some nice panasonic and JVC sets to be had what are you looking for from the set and what would you connect to it?

5. ExCIA

ExCIA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be connecting my DVD, VCR and my NTL cable box.

I guess what connection cables should I pick up?

Again, I watch a lot of sports especially track/field and watching DVD movies.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    2 good qaulity scarts ands a normal one for VCR (normal is ok but not the chaep freebie that comes with ntl! You need at least 2 RGB Scarts 100hz is not essential unless you see 50hz flicker, few do. Any reason you are buying in bristol not Cardiff/Newport? saves you at least £4.50 plus fuel! that could pay for a couple of decent scarts if you have a thirsty motor!

7. ExCIA

ExCIA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought John Lewis would save me load of money on widescreen TV or are you saying that David Morgan can offer me good price as well?

FYI... I live in Newport, South Wales.

8. ExCIA

ExCIA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a huge price difference between JL in Bristol and David Morgan in Cardiff?

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    JL pricematch and offer 5 year warranty there normal prices arent that good though. save the fuel see what availble locally and then ring JL Cribbs and ask them to get a price match they refer it to an undersales team who verify the price and then agree to match it or dont.

10. ExCIA

ExCIA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny, I just came back from JL in Bristol and the Panny TX32PS12 looks fantastic compare to Sony KV32FX68, which looks **** poor.

Both are connected through proper cable via SkyTV.

Watched sport especially rugby and the TX32PS12 looks colourful/sharp. KV32FX68 looks so blocky.

I really don't know which way to go.

Panasonic TX32PS12 or Sony KV32FX68

??

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i thinkpanny are better Sony still overpriced IMHO

12. ExCIA

ExCIA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hornydragon, what kind of TV you have?...

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I actually own a Sony (bought S/H) Main living room TV is a **** samsung (not mine) but big!
    Last TV i bought was a Daewoo for my Missus.
    Why do you ask?
    If you were wondering See my Sig!