Question I've lost my HD channels - Samsung UE49KU6670

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Rakesh72, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Rakesh72

Rakesh72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the heading suggests, my HD channels have disappeared, apart from QVC HD.

I have tried retuning and have reset the tv and gone through the set-up process again.

I have checked the signal information and get the following on the QVC HD Channel (111)
    QVC ch-111.jpg
    Gratfeul for any suggestions on how I can fix this.

The two other tv's in the house both receive HD channels (Samsung KS9000 and ES8000)

2. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +964
    I lost the HD channels today. In my case I thinlk it is high pressure causing co-channel interference, I get it fairly frequently. The thing to do is not retune straight away as if they are missing, it is unlikely you will get them back. Try another retune now and see if they come back, or wait until tomorrow morning. You have 'lost the HD multiplex (BBCB) and QVC HD is on a different multiplex (Com 8) which is on a different carrier frequency so obviously isn't affected by whatever is affecting BBCB.

3. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Go over the aerial cables and connections to the problem TV.

Fact the other TVs in house work OK on same aerial points to such things... but may also be borderline digital cliff? How is the signal split to the TVs? Is the cable to that room extra long or exposed to sun and rain c.f. the others? Could it be damaged on the route it takes?

HDMI cables close to aerial cables can cross-couple interference. Try alternative HDMI cables or fly leads, but try to keep them well apart also.

Must be my local Sandy Heath transmitter being watched ;)

4. Rakesh72

Rakesh72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried to retune over the last couple of days and again this morning but still no joy.

I have no HDMI cables connected to the t.v. just a USB pen drive. The original aerial point is on the left wall and I recently had it extended so it was on the opposite wall. The electrician ran the aerial cable underneath the floorboards and behind a stud wall at the same time as fitting a double socket on the wall.

I've never had a t.v. in this room so don't know if the original aerial port worked as it should or not. I'll take a look behind the original aerial plate and see if the connections from the extended cable are okay.

Thanks for the suggestions.

5. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Maybe call back under guarantee?

What quality and type of cable was used? Electricians are rarely properly equipped (nor trained) in TV aerial and satellite matters (UHF signal measuring kit), to ensure levels are correct at start, calculating cable losses and re-measuring the final terminated signal level.

Electricians once wired an aerial distribution system at an Exhibition as a ring main! They've been known to use 'choc block' connectors to join aerial wires, or even just twist them together under some insulating tape!

Take the TV to a known working outlet: Tune it in: Check all channels are as expected and use the in-built signal meter to determine the levels it gets on that outlet. Then do not retune it again! Take it back and it will be ready to work properly if/when you can fix the faulty extension cable work. It can also be used to check the levels at the original outlet, perhaps, as well as the end of the extension cable.

However if the original socket outlet is not connected to your aerial distribution system you need to find where that original cable originates: it may need connecting back up to something? (distribution amplifier, passive splitter, its own aerial)

6. Rakesh72

Rakesh72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, so I unplugged the aerial (I'll call it C2) from the tv and did a rescan.
    I then took an aerial cable from another tv plugged it into the aerial socket on the other side of the room and then into the tv.
    IMG-20170828-WA0024.jpg (the Socket)

Did a rescan and picked up 173 channels as opposed to 149.
    Checked the HD channels were working and everything is good.

I then unplugged the aerial lead and hung the tv back on the wall and plugged in aerial cable C2.
    HD channels are still there and I can view them.
    IMG-20170828-WA0022.jpg (this is how the cable C2 comes out of the wall (it say 75ohms on it!?))
    Hopefully that's fixed it!! If not then it's the extension cable C2.

I also unscrewed the face plate of the socket on the wall and there are just 2 cables, one going into the TV out and the other into the FM out. I have no idea how the electrician has extended the aerial cable.

Thanks again for the help, I'll post an update if I lose the HD channels again

7. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    C2: That Second pic shows a mains 13A plug cable going into a hole in plasterboard wall..... presumably to hide the mains feed to something, somewhere? (TV on wall above)? Therefore not aerial related. Hopefully the marking says something like 0.75 mm^2. (3/4 of a square millimetre) rather than 75 ohms!

You've not pictured the aerial feed cable to that second position.

A pic of the rear of the first socket may help clarify things? Separate UHF TV and VHF/FM cables to a socket outlet are possible, but many installations have the signals for both combined into one cable.

Fact it is working now, after a fashion, suggests dodgy connections now made better? or borderline cliff-edge reception has improved, maybe with a change of weather? But that depends on where you live wrt the Sandy transmitter?

8. A1944

A1944

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Looks like the 13A plug is a red herring. If you enlarge the picture, you can read "RG6 Coaxial" on the cable going into the wall.

9. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    :facepalm:So it does!

But where does it come from? and go to?? And where does that mains cable going into that messy trunking go, as well?

10. A1944

A1944

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Only Rakesh72 can say for certain, but I would guess that the coax and mains cables go off to the right in the trunking together to the TV.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  11. Rakesh72

Rakesh72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, the plug sockets are those that the electrician extended as I didn't have a socket on that wall for the t.v.

This is what it looks like.
    IMG_20170902_142408.jpg
    The cable sticking out/going into the wall on the left of the sockets is the tv aerial (as seen in the picture above).

All I know, from my wife, is that the electrician ran the cables under the floor boards, from one side of the room to the other:
    IMG_20170902_141456.jpg left (where the aerial and plug socket is) to right IMG_20170902_141505.jpg

Rodders - when I took the face plate off, there were two cables; one going into the tv out and the other into the FM dab. I didn't take the box, that the face plate screws into, out so not sure what's happening in the stud wall!!

Important thing though is that my daughter can watch Cbeebies in HD! :thumbsup:

12. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Well we'll never know where/how the guy picked up an aerial feed, nor if a quality splitter was used.
    But if all you (effectively) did was remove and replace the cable fitted into TV input socket then it can't have been pushed home properly, or something like it to now be good!

Resurrect this thread if it ever gives problems in the future, to save repeating yourself.