I've lost a load of weight

CH_Peter

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Well, I can't remember how many new threads I've started (not many) and I try to post here and there with advice on the electronics kit where I have the answers, but I have a small success story to share. So, here's to hoping that this might help someone else in my boat. It's simple, basic stuff that proves you don't need some fancy diet or costly exercise routine to lose weight, just some willpower and common sense.

I am 6'4" and depending on what you read, that means I should weigh about 13st 10lbs - maybe more, maybe less. That's somewhere in the middle of "ideal" that's quoted around the place. That is my weight today. 4 months ago it was 16st.

I started out by cutting out rubbish from my diet, reducing portions and eating more healthily. Fruit, not biscuits or crisps. No cakes or chocolate. Beer and wine were cut right out. I always ate bran flakes for brekkie, that didn't change. I cut down on sandwiches for lunch, replacing them with ryvita and things like low fat soft cheese or humous. I found that ryvita "thins" were good to have kicking around if I wanted a snack that wasn't fruit. Evening meals stayed much as they were (they were already quite healthy as my wife is a good cook, making homemade dishes almost all the time), but the odd take out, ready meal or chip-based meal was ditched. Portions were smaller and frozen peas or sweetcorn always served with the main. I didn't count every last calorie, but I certainly checked what I was eating when buying things to make sure it wasn't surprisingly bad for you.

I already played badminton once per week. I tried to add an evening of squash once per week when I could. Just this got me down to 15st in the space of about 6/7 weeks. The changes were easy to make, but the first 2-3 weeks were hard as I was often hungry - by body was used to having more food. Willpower was certainly required. However, seeing the weight coming off was enough of a reward to persevere. Having fruit to hand, ryvita thins and also cadbury's highlights drinking chocolate (for when I wanted something sweet) really helped.

Once I broke 15st, it got a little harder to shed weight and it slowed. Not uncommon. I kept the diet going, but because my squash partner got injured, I decided to give jogging a go. I did short distances (1.5miles) to start with using this handy site to map them out. I could just about make half that distance before needing to stop. I took it steady, walked back. Speed is was never a factor (it doesn't need to be to burn calories). I went 2-3 times a week and eventually was able to run the whole distance and each week started adding a little more. When I ran, I ate a little more (without going crazy), swapping out ryvita lunches for brown bread sandwiches and peanut butter (just a couple of slices, mind you). 5K burns about 500 calories. Eating too little won't necessarily get you losing weight long term and can obviously be pretty bad for you.

As the weight kept coming off steadily, I started to feel better, running was easier and I started to feel better and better. I had more energy, played with the kids more for longer. I even started to like what I saw in the mirror, so got some weights and did a 10 mins each morning before hopping in the shower.

Right now, I am not trying to lose any more. I run 5K three times per week in pretty respectable times. I am as fit as I have ever been and even have some tone. I spent a grand total of £60. £40 for some running shoes and £20 for some weights. I have the odd biscuit, sweet, desert, beer here and there without worrying as I'm not trying to lose weight and I keep exercising and eating well. Moderation is the key and because I didn't go crazy, my body seems happy to stay at my current weight - it's not piling back on. It feels great. I feel great.

What made it work for me:-

• Cutting out all rubbish from my diet
  • ...but still having stuff to replace it (fruit, hot choc, ryvita thins)
  • Slowly increasing exercise
  • ...but not starving myself
  • Willpower for the first month
  • Watching calories to start with, so I got the hang of the right amounts to eat (on exercise days and non-exercise days).

I hope this helps someone thinking they should lose some weight or trying to right now. :)

That really is a success story, very well done indeed.:thumbsup:

Your story sounds a little like mine. My weight has gone up and down over the last few years but a few months ago I got up to 15 and half stone. I decided enough was enough and with the wife started doing Weight Watchers.....not actually going but following the principal which is basically watching what you eat.:facepalm:

I have also started running and together with golf now get some exercise done. My target is 13st 7lb and I'm down to 13st 11lb at the moment. Getting below 14st was a major hurdle, I just seemed to be stuck on that weight for ages but seeing 13st 13lbs on the scales was a big boost.

A little bit of watching what you eat and a little exercise makes all the difference.

I'm sure your post will be a great inspiration to many....thanks for posting.:thumbsup:

13 stone 10 ??
Im 6'4 and if i was that weight i'd look like a stick insect.Im 20stone and i know that sounds massive but i'd say i look average build.
Well done with your weight loss btw :thumbsup:

13 stone 10 ??
Im 6'4 and if i was that weight i'd look like a stick insect.Im 20stone and i know that sounds massive but i'd say i look average build.
Well done with your weight loss btw :thumbsup:

Thanks.

You're right, everyone is different and I am naturally a thin build. 13st 10lbs is about average ideal weight for the height and I am sure that it varies greatly from person to person. I think that what is thought of as "normal" or "average" is a matter of perspective and what you are used to. At 20 stone, I would speak to your doctor to see if it's OK for you.

Na she said i was too fat :laugh:
I think the 14 stone mark is about right for the height,but i remember being that weight.People used to think i was ill as i looks so skinny :confused:

Im doing something similar but im struggling at weekends, i must have no willpower on Friday night, all day Saturday, and all day Sunday:thumbsdow

How did you do it over the weekend?

martin

Na she said i was too fat :laugh:
I think the 14 stone mark is about right for the height,but i remember being that weight.People used to think i was ill as i looks so skinny :confused:

I think that's down to people seeing slightly overweight as "normal". Almost everyone in the office has started doing a joint diet effort with a weekly weight check since I did mine. Down to everyone last one, they are all overweight and have a high BMI. None really look overweight, but they are. At 20 stone, I am sure your doctor told you you were overweight and it puts you at all sorts of health risks.

Im doing something similar but im struggling at weekends, i must have no willpower on Friday night, all day Saturday, and all day Sunday:thumbsdow

How did you do it over the weekend?

martin

Have no crap food about the house. Have substitutes though (fruit, highlights hot chocolate, ryvita thins worked for me). If you can't get at it easily, you can't nibble. Plan to go out and do things - shop, walks, visit places.

Maybe you could weight yourself Friday and Monday so you can see if you're undoing a week's good work with a bad weekend? Nothing like seeing a pound or two go on after you shifted it to stop yourself doing it all over again.

Ah, and one other thing is after you eat (or nibble fruit) have a good drink and a cuppa. Then stop and eat nothing for 30 minutes without fail. It takes a little while for you to feel satiated and if you keep eating in that 30 minute odd window, then you're eating what you don't necessarily need to, as you're already satisfied, but just don't know it yet.

Congrats.

I am two pounds short of losing 5 stone in 4 months on just willpower. I had tonight off due to being my Birthday so had a Chinese (first one since last new years). I made sure I had a light lunch and walked 3 miles this afternoon. I will also have a light lunch and tea tomorrow.

CH_Peter said:
Ah, and one other thing is after you eat (or nibble fruit) have a good drink and a cuppa. Then stop and eat nothing for 30 minutes without fail. It takes a little while for you to feel satiated and if you keep eating in that 30 minute odd window, then you're eating what you don't necessarily need to, as you're already satisfied, but just don't know it yet.

Apparently thats one reason the Japanese are so healthy. As well as their diet they eat small portions at each meal and don't aim to feel full

You see these fat people on TV and so forth, and the fattiness extends to every part of their body, but it seems not all people are like that.

At the moment, I have this almighty belly that I think is two stone in itself, but the rest of my body is as skinny as I've ever been - my upper chest and my arms and legs are fine, perhaps even my hips.

I think I should take a picture to exhibit what I mean, but other people have done so and I've felt embarrassed, especially when I'm sideways on.

I've been considering going to the gym but I like the odd snack and the two litres of cider I have per night, but it's never more than that, as I think I've become sensitive to too much of the stuff.

I am willing to show the extent of my problem to people here, but not my face - I don't want to be known as the Pregnant Man. :(

You see these fat people on TV and so forth, and the fattiness extends to every part of their body, but it seems not all people are like that.

At the moment, I have this almighty belly that I think is two stone in itself, but the rest of my body is as skinny as I've ever been - my upper chest and my arms and legs are fine, perhaps even my hips.

I think I should take a picture to exhibit what I mean, but other people have done so and I've felt embarrassed, especially when I'm sideways on.

I've been considering going to the gym but I like the odd snack and the two litres of cider I have per night, but it's never more than that, as I think I've become sensitive to too much of the stuff.

I am willing to show the extent of my problem to people here, but not my face - I don't want to be known as the Pregnant Man. :(

Have you made the connection yet?:rotfl:

and the two litres of cider I have per night, but it's never more than that

Blimey! A pint of cider has 3 units of alcohol, you're drinking 10 units per day, max recommended weekly allowance is 21 units.

Thanks for this thread, I'm 6'2" and 14 stone and fat...

I need to get back down the gym. Problem for me is we've not long moved and seem to have binned the gym and eat utter crap, plus working long hours everyday doesn't help..

Really need to sort it out though as it gets me down

Apparently thats one reason the Japanese are so healthy. As well as their diet they eat small portions at each meal and don't aim to feel full
The Japanese are so not fat, that even Google suggest has no prompt for 'fat japanese'

:D

I thought I was thin before I started this diet, apart from quite a lot round the waist. I was wrong. Weight came off everywhere - I have better tone and you can see muscle in my arms and legs. It's all about perception. What you think of as "normal" quite possibly is not.

There are about 200 calories in a pint of cider (depending on which one you drink). Two litres would be about 700 calories, which is about a third of what you need to in day. There's also not much good in cider, so it's 700 wasted calories. If you're eating your normal 3 meals as well, then you are going to stay at your current weight or put on more.

Thanks for this thread, I'm 6'2" and 14 stone and fat...

I need to get back down the gym. Problem for me is we've not long moved and seem to have binned the gym and eat utter crap, plus working long hours everyday doesn't help..

Really need to sort it out though as it gets me down

Try a meal planner before you shop. I found that this helps. You can find things that you really like that perhaps you didn't think you would. Turns out, I love couscous (who knew?) and I'm bonkers about grapefruit (I started out on apples, but they're so hit and miss, sometimes lovely and crunchy, sometimes all mushy - ugh). As soon as you start finding this stuff that you like and is healthy, you're 75% of the way there, as you don't need quite so much willpower.

Congrats.

I am two pounds short of losing 5 stone in 4 months on just willpower. I had tonight off due to being my Birthday so had a Chinese (first one since last new years). I made sure I had a light lunch and walked 3 miles this afternoon. I will also have a light lunch and tea tomorrow.

Incredibly well done! :D

Well done mate, worth all the hard work! I dont see how these people weighing 15 & 20 st can be healthy though. Im bang on 6ft and weigh 11st 7lb. My build is athletic and toned (Im not skinny) And my BMI is healthy as it can be. Unless your a bloody rugby player and propper fit there is no way 15st or 20st can be healthy at them heights.

Well done mate, worth all the hard work! I dont see how these people weighing 15 & 20 st can be healthy though. Im bang on 6ft and weigh 11st 7lb. My build is athletic and toned (Im not skinny) And my BMI is healthy as it can be. Unless your a bloody rugby player and propper fit there is no way 15st or 20st can be healthy at them heights.

I think it's easy to be complacent about weight. I must have been overweight for 5 years or more, convincing myself that because I was tall, I could carry it. And because I played a bit of badminton and squash and could play quite well, I was OK. I was not.

Have you made the connection yet?:rotfl:

1. If drinking is the problem, wouldn't my belly keep swelling until I was a balloon?

2. So you're saying, even if I went to the gym, no amount of exercise would reduce it? If I carried on as stated above?

JAMFish72; it's all about calories. Calories calories calories!

You could consume 5,000 calories a day if you wanted to. As long as you burned off 5,500, each corresponding day, you would still ultimately lose weight

I have no idea how many calories are in 2 litres of cider but I imagine it's a lot. If you drink that daily (!) you would be shocked at how many extra calories you are taking in per week over and above those which may already be considered excessive to your normal (food) diet

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom