Ive killed my Marantz amp

Laughing Gravy

Standard Member
Update. Im taking it to a repair shop tomorrow. Bottled the repair myself.
So assuming it can be repaired and my Marantz DR4050 CD is still working should I use some of my hifi fund to buy a decent streamer? Earlier in the thread Daniel70 mentioned a google chromecast and I can pick one up from EBay, But they dont seem very big, flashy or enough to satisfy my urge to but some decent hi fi piece. I think Ive got the bug.

ddlooping

Good luck with the repair. :)
Regarding the streamer, what would you be streaming?
Also, make sure the streamer has outputs you can actually plug into your amp. ;)

ddlooping

I meant, what would your source be, where would the music come from?
Do you have a subscription to Spotify, Amazon Music, Apple Music...?
Do you have music in digital formats like mp3, Flac...?

Regardless, just make sure that whatever you'd be streaming the music through can be connected to your amp. :)

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Update. Im taking it to a repair shop tomorrow. Bottled the repair myself.
So assuming it can be repaired and my Marantz DR4050 CD is still working should I use some of my hifi fund to buy a decent streamer? Earlier in the thread Daniel70 mentioned a google chromecast and I can pick one up from EBay, But they dont seem very big, flashy or enough to satisfy my urge to but some decent hi fi piece. I think Ive got the bug.

If it costs more to replace than a few quid I wouldn’t.

Once a thing is so old it’s hardly worth the effort when a 20 year replacement is so inexpensive.

Laughing Gravy

Standard Member
The Amp lives to fight another day. My man has sourced a new part and we will be up and running next week.
Can anyone inform me what speakers I should look at to upgrade my system. Im thinking if the amp doesn't tick all the boxes I will use the speakers as the basis of my new system. Happy to spend up to £400 but would these be too good (or not good enough) for the amp? How do you select speakers? Is there a formula?
Thanks again everyone who has taken the trouble to reply

oscroft

The Amp lives to fight another day. My man has sourced a new part and we will be up and running next week.
Can anyone inform me what speakers I should look at to upgrade my system. Im thinking if the amp doesn't tick all the boxes I will use the speakers as the basis of my new system. Happy to spend up to £400 but would these be too good (or not good enough) for the amp? How do you select speakers? Is there a formula?
Thanks again everyone who has taken the trouble to reply
Yay, great news.

ddlooping

@Laughing Gravy
Good news indeed :)
As far as speakers go I'd recommend you subscribe to the "For sale - Speakers" forum here and see what's available in your budget.
When you do find a pair that would fit both your budget and room, do a search both here and with Google for reviews and opinions.
That's what I normally do. :D

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom