1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've just swopped my tosh 52 for a Sammy 50 - Some observations

Discussion in 'TVs' started by CTID, May 2, 2005.

1. CTID

CTID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    After living with the tosh 52 for about 7 weeks I finally had enough and took the set back. While I was there I noticed a shiny samsung for about £200 more so I thought I would give it a go.

First observation - it is bl**dy heavy!! I guess with the toshiba the weight is split with the stand, but I would be interested in comparing the weight of the tosh + stand and the sammy.

Next we found we didn't get the glass stand. I presumed it would be in the (huge) box, but wasn't so that was a bummer. 48 mile round trip to pick up stand was on the cards!

Once it was in place it is a damned sight less imposing than the tosh. I know it is 2in smaller, but the tosh looked like a monolith in the corner, big and brooding! This is elegant and attractive. I like the black surround as well, I think it frames the image well. The controls on the stand remind me of a star trek instrument panel - very cool! The stand can be distracting, but I guess that is because it is new. Final initial observations is that the fan is a lot noisier than the tosh, in fact with no sound it is loud. You go to the ends of the earth to get a virtually silent HTPC and the the telly you buy sounds like a hair drier! (a bit of an exaggeration!)

But down to the important stuff. With hi-def stuff it is as expected, simply superb. With normal DVD it is fantastic and with terrestrial it is good. Compare that with the tosh where hi-def is superb, DVD is good and terrestrial is absolutely awful.

I experienced smearing with pans and the oily face phenomena with the tosh. Also I really suffer from rainbows, but it doesn't bother me. The tosh had a lot of rainbows in dark scenes, and they were pronounced and large. These three problems were the reason I returned it. On the sammy the smearing hasn't been seen after 4 days of viewing. The oily face does happen, but very small amounts and not very often - I am sensitised to it and I'm sure I would not notice had I not been subjected to the tosh. Finally rainbows are much reduced. Very infrequent and smaller - but as I say, I am very sensitive to them.

The main problem I have found is the HDMI input from my HTPC gives a worse picture than VGA. This is frustrating and a little disappointing. What is interesting is the HTPC correctly identified the sammy but didn't get any info from the tosh.

Teletext is better, with a split screen rather than superimposed and it also has Picture in picture. Channel changing is much much faster, but one feature missing which I loved on the tosh is you can select an input rather than scrolling through them one by one. Very useful when you have 1,2,3,4,5,7,HDMI,PC,AV1,AV2,AV3. A simple feature that saves a lot of frustration.

After collecting my stand (only one - is that right?) and installing my components the set looks very nice. I live in a old farm house and I was worried it would look out of place, but it looks gorgeous.

I've got the option to return the set, but I will keep it as I am very impressed. I got the wow factor that was simply not there when I installed the tosh. When we bought the tosh, I unpacked it, calmed my wife and said we would get used to the huge size!! and sat back reading to be blown away. The first thing both my wife and I said was the quality of the display was terrible, a step backward from our 40in RPTV. We both got used to the display but after I watch the 40in RPTV again last week I realised we were making do with a poor quality set. I'm a happy bunny and glad to see the back of the tosh!

2. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Good news CTID :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I should be getting my new SP50 on wednesday in place of a 46" Toshiba and i'm hoping for similar results - I can't wait now :clap:

I felt the exact same way after returning to my old 40" rptv! I suffer with rainbows too so hopefully they'll be lessened too :)

Odd what you say about the HDMI but to be honest I found that on the Toshiba - I preferred VGA over HDMI. Do you only use a HTPC or do you have a DVD player too?

Cheers and Congrats :smashin:
    KableMan

3. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    im glad you like the samsung. i also own the same set.i agree withe input scrolling, u have to go thru all of them to get to hdmi. My quality on hdmi is fantastic alot better than vga. maybe it is ur pc settings. Also i cannot hear my fan at all unless i go to the back and listen for it. have u configured around with the colour settings etc, i found i had to turn the green down from my colour control menu.

4. CTID

CTID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    KableMan, I guarentee you will not be disappointed! What are you doing with your RPTV? I tried to convince my wife it should go in the bedroom but I got a definate NO!

indie24, TBH I've only had it a couple of days and I can only 'mess' when the wife is in bed! The green setting is interesting, I was watching Cracker last night and there was a slight green tinge to everything, but I put it down to the mastering of a poor original source. I will do some searching and see what settings people use. I did change the 100% contrast as soon as I switched it on. I will monitor the fan, it can't be heard at all with the volume very low, it is just when the room is silent.

5. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    that green tinge was probably the tv mastering. the reason i turned my green down was when i watched a footy game the grass was very very green. i turned it down so its more natural looking. i got my brightness to around 50 and contrast to about 60 and colour at around 45 ish. cant remember

6. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I've already sold my rptv to a friend who is setting up a small TV room in a bedroom away from his wife! It'll be his first foray into home cinema and will make use of the on board DD decoder and I'm throwing in some surround speakers. He's more than happy with the performance and looks and it'll contribute a few quid towards the sammy :smashin:

7. jmmh

jmmh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Sammy on Friday and I have to say I am very disappointed, after reading such positive reviews the pq has come as a shock.

Not sure where to post to get a good response to see if my set is faulty, as I have only just joined.

8. derek1971

derek1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Hi there,

I am still thinking about buying this set. In relation to watching football can you please advise whether this was on sky or terrestrial and how the picture quality was?

Cheers

9. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    the picture quality was fine, i watched it thru bbc1, not thru sky as they tend to compress sports quite a bit. on default settings i found the grasss to be too green, i turned down the green and nots its fine

10. fugitive

fugitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can select the input on the Tosh. There are 2 different ways to do it.

Either hold down the AV selector for a second and it comes up with a list of selections OR hit OK and it comes up with the same list.

11. CTID

CTID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    fugitive, I know, it is the sammy that can't do this. So one positive for the tosh! I should has also pointed out that the sound is better on the tosh but I use an amp so that was not all that important TBH.