I've just ordered a Freecom MediaPlayer 350

cjdavis83

Standard Member
hi there

can u tell me if this can play MPEG-2 and x264 encoded .ts files...(hd transport streams)...

i can send u some clips to test if u wish...

chris

:)

cjdavis83

Standard Member
Hi

I will upload an MPEG-2 TS file clip via YouSendIt...It is in 1080i/60hz(NTSC)

I am more eager to see if the FREECOM will play x264 encoded .ts streams but i dont think it does as the Sigma Designs chip used is not the latest for decoding AVC/x264.

If you could give me your email address in a private message that would be great..

Chris

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Curious on this

I am after something that can play a variety of divx and xvid type avi files which are now stored on a NAS drive on my home network

I have xbox downstairs with xbmc which serves really well but could do with something that I could plug into bedroom TV or into my AV gear in yet another room

Would the Freecom do the job ?

Im not after one with a hardrive - just need something that can connect to my network wirelessly and that can then playback these files when connected to a TV

cjdavis83

Standard Member
YES

The Freecom MediaPlayer has a lot of potential...it can play pretty much most standard movie files including xvid and divx type files..although check the website and the product.pdf file but you should be in safe hands with this. I was considering one but at present the chip does not offer full support for all HD transport streams or anything encoded in h.264/AVC..which is a bit annoying..

Apart from that...this should be perfect for your needs and yes can stream wirelessly from your network. I think you can buy it and use it without a hard drive too.

Hope that helps

:)

bowler

Standard Member
I have tried a Freecom and a Rapsody.

Both have problems when streaming video wirelessly.

Wired is OK.

cjdavis83

Standard Member
WOW..

TVIX M-4100SH

This has the most advanced chipset out of most media players as it now featues h264 support...with newer sigma designs chip.

Also has HDMI port and SATA HDD compatibiity..

Recently spoke to someone from Freecom support and they have no plans to release a more updated version of the 350 as yet which means this beautiful device will be ahead of the pack for some time. It is apparently out in May according to kj global and i am hoping amazon will stock it!!!!!!!
:thumbsup:

JamboV6

Standard Member
Ive been looking at this also, but you cant connect a dvd player to it i dont think so all movies have to be done on the PC. Also still not sure whether you can record from sky onto it or just the intergrated freeview!

If anyone knows the answers please let me know.

Cheers
James :thumbsup:

cjdavis83

Standard Member
Hmmm...no i dont think u can connect sky..simply because its a set-top box and a hard drive...this is more or less the same thing but like a media player...

As for DVDs, the M4100SH can play all DVDs which are ripped in full(no compression), so u wont need ur discs or a player at all..!

I must say..i have heard news from DVICO the guys that make M4100SH nd it looks like they are planning an even more advanced player for later this year or early next..possibly with HDMI 1.3 and better processing/ram by utilising the SIGMA 8630 chip series...

J

johnnaccarato

Hi does anyone know if the M4100SH works as a NAS drive so that you can copy files to it over a wired network. The Freecom drives all use NDAS which I have had lots of problems with.
Thanks
John

X

xykevinr

Hi,

I'm looking at one of these toys to be, among other things, a digital piccy viewer. Can anyone tell me what the video output options are ?

I'd like to connect to a LCD monitor (1680x1050)
and / or a LCD TV (1366x768)

Is there any chance I'll be getting these kind of resolutions out of this box, or just an upscaled crappy image ?

Thanks for any help

Kev

littlesheepy

Distinguished Member
I have the Freecom Media player and whilst i know you can update the fireware, does anybody know how and where i can get updates from?

borismaur

Standard Member
Hello,

Wondering if anyone can help me. Ive recently purchased Freecom MediaPlayer 350 WLAN drive in kit, and Im having problems configuring the wirless settings so that i can stream video files from my laptop to the freecom. Ive got a bt voyager 2100 which it picks up fine on the wireless settings...ip is 192.168.1.1 and ive correctly entered the wep key. My laptop ip address is 192.168.1.7 and the IP addresses have been set up manually on that (Should it be automatic?). Just wondering if anyone could help me put the ip addresses in the right places on the freecom...ive tried for a few hours last night and so far when you switch on the freecom i can see the wireless icon is highlighted but when i select it i get the error no devices connected. I understand you have to switch off the DHCP which ive done but again still getting same probs. Any help would be most appreciated.

JamboV6

Standard Member
Hmmm...no i dont think u can connect sky..simply because its a set-top box and a hard drive...this is more or less the same thing but like a media player...

As for DVDs, the M4100SH can play all DVDs which are ripped in full(no compression), so u wont need ur discs or a player at all..!

I must say..i have heard news from DVICO the guys that make M4100SH nd it looks like they are planning an even more advanced player for later this year or early next..possibly with HDMI 1.3 and better processing/ram by utilising the SIGMA 8630 chip series...

Can i not connect the sky box via the DVB-T input it uses to record digi tv?

So all info has to be uploaded via the PC?

bealay

Standard Member
Hello,

Wondering if anyone can help me. Ive recently purchased Freecom MediaPlayer 350 WLAN drive in kit, and Im having problems configuring the wirless settings so that i can stream video files from my laptop to the freecom. Ive got a bt voyager 2100 which it picks up fine on the wireless settings...ip is 192.168.1.1 and ive correctly entered the wep key. My laptop ip address is 192.168.1.7 and the IP addresses have been set up manually on that (Should it be automatic?). Just wondering if anyone could help me put the ip addresses in the right places on the freecom...ive tried for a few hours last night and so far when you switch on the freecom i can see the wireless icon is highlighted but when i select it i get the error no devices connected. I understand you have to switch off the DHCP which ive done but again still getting same probs. Any help would be most appreciated.

Hi there

I'm just at the end of a long setup of mine (I posted for help on a seperate thread 3 days back), and I think I can help.

It's best to talk you thru it on the phone though, so email me if you need help.

Cheers

Ian

borismaur

Standard Member
Thanks Ian I will be PM you later about this...Glad to hear you got yours working! I contacted Freecom support via email and they replied asking if ive tried connecting the freecom to my router via ethernet lead. Actually havnt tried that yet but will try 2nite when i get home from work.

borismaur

Standard Member
Ive managed to get my freecom 350 to see both my laptop and pc and stream my dwnloaded video files! sorted i hear you say! not quite..

Ive had to resort to plugging in my own wireless AP into the Ethernet port of the freecom. from which Ive selected DHCP as on (on the network option on the freecom settings page).... and turned off the wireless on the freecom....and guess what it works!!! ....straightaway after applying the settings.. you can see the 'lan' symbol highlighted..and my pc and laptop... Obviously this is not how i want the thing set up as i would prefer to use the freecom's inbuilt wireless..

well for now this is a temp solution and at least now I can stream/watch my episodes of lost,24 and heroes on my hdtv! But if anyone could shed some light about how you configure the freecom's wireless utiliy, id be most interested...and if anyone has had the same problm as me... i feel your pain!

P

PeterBarrow

Hi there

I just PM'd you a loooong message with my findings. Hope that helps.

Ian

Hi, I'm having the same problems connecting wirelessly to my laptop. I've tried every setting on the Freecom so I'm guessing it must be a setting on my PC. Any chance you could PM me the loooooon message? Thanks
Pete

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

StormAudio launches ISP Core 16 AV processor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cabasse launches limited edition Pearl Pelegrina speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar