1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ive joined the Sony DAV Club!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by bobble, Aug 10, 2002.

1. bobble

bobble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Whey Hey, got my new Sony DAV S550 today, very impressed. It has excelent picture via S-Video and Sony have added Component out if you have suitable TV (over S500), still no Scart though. The unit also now includes Dolby PLII. Speaker power has also been increased to 80W per speaker and 100W for Sub.

Very pleased with sound/images for the price. Purchased from unbeatable.co.uk for £457 and before anyone says this is not as good as seperates, I know that, but some of us have a budget and a WIFE!

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Wish I had a £457 budget for some seperates.

3. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey Bobble, is it multi-region enabled for that price?

How big is your room?

Have you tried music yet - how does it sound?

How does the DPLII perform - and how much better then standard DPL is it in your opinion? (i've never had a demo...)?

What TV are you using with the unit?

Anyway, sorry for all the questions - i too have a budget - and a WIFE! (its bad enough telling her there will be 4 tiny speakers in the room!).

Cheers,

Steve.

4. bobble

bobble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    As per my post initial impressions are very good, only gripe is that I was hoping to hang the rear speakers on the wall, but you can only do this with the addition of Wall brackets.

5. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Will look at TT then - or elsewhere for MR, thanks.

Similar size room to mine - 17*12 so should be comparable sound i think...

I currently have no hifi - sold it when i had my first child, now want some music back - especially if it does not involve huge floorstanding speakers (like i had before)! So this should sound MUCH BETTER than what i currently have!

Yeah i saw the wall brackets - pretty expensive too, but i will need them - £20 per pair i seem to remember.

Anyway thanks and happy listening/watching!

(Cue DAV haters club to slag it off...)

Steve.

6. Marko_J

Marko_J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I just wanted to post a new thread on dav-s550, but maybe I could ask my question on this one :)

I like the look of the dav-s550, it's progresive and if I pair it with new Panasonic tv that suports even the "pal progressive scan" on every DVD from second region it should be good (at least I hope so)

but my question is this - will I miss RGB scart? there's no rgb scart on dav-s550 and is it a big "minus".
    please give me your opinion. Will my picture suffer without scart?

thanx in advance

Marko

7. bobble

bobble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Marko, I am not using component out, if you have a TV with this facility the picture is superioir to RGB. I am using S-Video, previoulsy I was using my PS2 (modded to play DVD'd in RGB), picture sharpness is a lot better on the DVD, however I have noticed that Red's are not quite so vibrant. Having said that the overall picture quality is far superior. I guess it depends on what you are currently used to.

8. Marko_J

Marko_J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for quick responce

right now I'm not using any HT setup. I'm moving in my new flat in a couple of months, so I can start building it from the bottom up... I'm rather new in HT area so I didn't know if scart connection is or isn't superior to other types of cennection... so that was my problem concerning new dav-s550...

I have to admitt that I'm changing my opinion and decision every day. Yestarday I was going for seperates (tosh, wharfedale etc...) and cheaper 32' tv (samsung maybe, or sony which is cheaper than the rest in Croatia), and today I'm thinking about dav system and pricier tv - namely the new panasonic TX-32PH40 which got fabulous review in the new issue of What Hi-Fi, or 32' Tosh with prog-scan...

It will be tough two months for me and my HT-system :rolleyes:

9. Gordon A

Gordon A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Bobble,

Does it have an digital out for connection to a MD recorder? IIRC, the S500 had one that was for CD only, which is what I'd need in order to link it to the MD recorder.

Knowing what Sony are like when they change their models, it's the sort of thing they'd 'forget' to include!!

10. bobble

bobble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry, but no it does not appear to have digital out, only digital in.

'EDIT- Gordon A, packed away my DAV tonight (see below) and can confirm there is only a Optical in, no optical out. Probably used to be where the component out's are now?'

Bad news though for me, the DAV has a problem, it keeps automatically switching on subtitles, if I switch them off they randomly come back on in a foreign language. Whenever I insert a new DVD they always come on in English!

Spoke to Sony about this who said the unit must be faulty, I asked if they could possibly be a software problem as it is a new unit, to which the operator seemed very upset that I suggested Sony could deliberatly produce a faulty product. This however was not what I was suggesting, we are all realists and realize that complex hardware/software may have a glitch inits programming, did not get a satisfactury answer from Sony only speak to your dealer.

Spoke with Unbeatable where I got the DAV from and they were very helpful, they offered to replace the unit, but there will possibly be a long wait as they are like gold-dust to get hold of, or to have the unit looked at and repaired. I have opted to have it replaced and now am DAV-less until the next batch. Hope this turns out to be a hardware problem and not a DAV specific software bug!

Has anyone else got the DAVS550 yet and experienced any problems with subtitles?

11. Gordon A

Gordon A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Thanks for the info on the lack of digital output. Wonder if the DAV-C770 will have one?

Anyway, good luck with the replacement - when you get it!