I've had my speakers almost 2 years...that cant be right!!

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...but seriously, I do like my PMCs :) Having had them for getting on 2 years now, I'm considering a system change in the near future. With a parasound 2205 I now have the flexibility to consider speakers of a more difficult load, but I'm still erring towards the PMC range.

So, for those in the know....how much better are the OB1s than the TB2s? With the matching centre speaker you're talking just over £4000 for the front 3 (compared to £1300 for the TB2s). Is there a huge difference between them? (thinking of 80/20 movies/music).

If I had a budget of £3500, what else should I be considering?

Processor in the short term is likely to stay the Rotel RSP1068 which I'm really happy with, very smooth and effortless in comparison to the Denon 3806 (I know, crap description but that's the best I can come up with!)

Cheers
Matt

I would think the Rotel RSP-1068 is the weakest link in your setup, and maybe the Pioneer 868Ai as second to-upgrade. With your Velodyne investment you won't believe how much tighter the bass will get. ;)

I'm happy with the Rotel for now, superb processor imho:)

But that said, I will need to get a new processor soon with HDMi switching...don't know what road that's going to take me down. I don't see the 868 as a weak link at all to be honest, excellent dvd player imho:) If I change it....it will be for HD-DVD.

Ah, you're a "trend" man!!! :D

I thought you were going for better sound quality and stuff.. :devil:

HDMI-switching, different speakers... hey, go right ahead! ;) :cool:

PS: You know you want 'em. :D

67758316-L.jpg

Smurfin said:
I so love patronising people:rolleyes:

Sorry if it came off to you like that, but I was just giving my opinion. Good luck with your speaker decisions. :thumbsup:

Ettepet said:
Sorry if it came off to you like that, but I was just giving my opinion. Good luck with your speaker decisions. :thumbsup:

hehe, no worries, shattered tonight so a bit grouchy:D

Seriously though, on the processing side - and I've owned and heard alot of them out there - I'm really happy with the RSP 1068, and also happy with the 868:)

Smurfin said:
If I had a budget of £3500, what else should I be considering?
A projector. Get one and it'll be 2 years more before you take an interest in speakers again.

Russell

russ.will said:
A projector. Get one and it'll be 2 years more before you take an interest in speakers again.

I am waiting on the upcoming 1080p 70" HD-ILA RPTV from jvc, which will probably cost near £3500 as well. :cool:

Why not look at something like the ProAc Response range or even Wilson Benesch Arc's would be nice too, there is alot of choice do they have to be PMC speakers across the front ?

No they don't have to be PMCs, it's just a brand that - for me at least - have given me a very balanced sound, i.e sparkly top-end without any of the M&K harshness, but without any wooliness...and they sound great with both music and movies :)

Smurfin said:
No they don't have to be PMCs, it's just a brand that - for me at least - have given me a very balanced sound, i.e sparkly top-end without any of the M&K harshness, but without any wooliness...and they sound great with both music and movies :)

Definitly have a listen to some ProAc speakers then plenty of detail but never harsh and if you can have a listen to some Wilson Benesch Arc's or Discovery's which are IMO some of the best speakers out there...Great Sound !!

Smurfin said:
Admittedly, music isn't M&K's forte, but i think people mistake 'harshness for a more forward, hard hitting sound that M&K provides. The demands of a speakers are quite different for music and movies, so much so that you won't find anything that does both 100%. Listen to a couple of set pieces from a couple of films on M&K and on a set of hi-fi speakers. The hi-fi speakers sound much more polite and 'nice', but can't match the detail being reproduced by the M&K's.

Also, listen to something like Nirvana, something noisy on M&K's and hi-fi speakers. On the M&K's, it's a bit cringeworthy, but listen to how much more detail there is in the guitars......what's right and what's wrong? Think of M&K as a studio monitor type sound. Their sound will also be influenced by the electronics.

I'm not trying to defend M&K (well, i am :D), but i think a lot of people don't get what they're about. I changed from big expensive speakers to the M&Ks as they sounded better for movies, and it'll take a hell of a speaker package to get me to change back.

I certainly get what M&K are about, I like them and have owned several varieties over the years :) imho my PMCs are extremely detailed...they're just better speakers in my eyes.

If I had a dedicated room with acoustic treatments then I'd certainly consider M&K, but not right now:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom