1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've had 'em all - question is, which is the best today??

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Family Guy, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Games Consoles. I had all 3 available today. I am the first to admit that I didn't give any of them a chance and got rid of them all within 3 or 4 months of buying.

Out of the 3, the GC impressed me the most. The problem was, lack of games and I got bored playing Luigi's Mansion. The same with the XBox and Halo. The PS2 was OK but MGS2 did it for me. I brought the console to play the game and when it eventualy came out, it was toilet.

So, I have £200 in Dixons vouchers to spend on a package this weekend, what do I go for? Are people still playing Halo on the XBox or is there something a bit more recent. Anything original out on the PS2 yet?

I am errring towards another GC - Super Mario looks great and Resi Evil just needs to be played. I've also heard that medal Of Honour is coming out on the GC soon which will be a real bonus, along with FIFA 2003.

Over to you seasoned gamers - your opinions please.....

2. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    just get all 3 AS there is awsome game on all of them.thats what i did.but at the end of the day the choice is yours people who have xbox only will say this is best & the same with the others so have a look at what game you like & make your choice.which ever you get you won`t be disappointed.as all 3 are class good luck mate & happy gameing

3. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go here :-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=52365&referrerid=13326

This link also has about 20 other links on it for other relevant forum topics.

Do you have to spend the money this weekend?

In all honesty, although I am not an X-Box lover, the current package of Sega GT and JSR for 160 is pretty good value for money. Although, I would rather spend that on 160 for an import platinum gamecube with metroid prime from Goblingames (which doesn't help!).

My order of purchasing preference based on games is :-

Gamecube
    PS2
    X-Box

This has changed from my last post, due to the release of Suikoden III for PS2 , which I really want!

4. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like you've made your mind up already :p

I went for the X-Box in the hope that the superior technology will begin to show through in future releases. It all depends on your type of game I guess. I'm happy as I like driving games and there is now Colin McCrae 3, and Sega GT2002 for that. I like fighting, so Dead Or Alive 3 (astounding graphics), for football there is now FIFA 2003 (not outstanding but very playable). For action there is still Halo and TimeSplitters 2, but Unreal Championship is out imminently as well as Splinter Cell and MechAssault. For puzzle/platform games I guess there is Oddworld, Blinx and Crash Bandicoot.

Anyway, thats from an X-Box point of view.

5. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Army Bloke

don't forget Eternal Darkness (a resi evil beater), Die Hard Vendetta, Metroid Prime, Starfox Adventures, Zelda, and Medal Honour: Frontline. And yes Resi Evil and Mario Sunshine are quality.

6. The Bear

The Bear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That's why I waited until I did to buy a GC(September). I knew there were few decent games being released until around now. Then I bought yours Army Bloke!! And you're not having it back :D :p

Mario Sunshine, Timesplitters 2, Eternal Darkness, Fifa 2003 - All excellent games out now(Haven't played Res Evil). Plus Starfox Adventures on 22nd Nov and Zelda marked down for Feb next year.
    Also Tiger Woods golf looks like it could be one of the best golf games on any system - including Mario Golf 64!! It's getting rave reviews on the net.

Nintendo will always be the Daddy.

7. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +558
    i doubt your that interested in games if you bought all 3 of the consoles currently available and none of them kept your interest for more than a few weekS!

why dont you buy a 2nd hand Dreamcast for £30 , it still has lots of very good games which can now be picked up for a fiver!!

including a 2nd hand memory card you could have a DC & 4 games for about £60 !!!! and then spend your money on something you REALLY WANT!!

come to think of it why havent i got a DC!!:D :D

8. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Dreamcast and that has kept my interest since day 1. So it's obviously not a problem with me but more the s#*t games they put out on release dates these days. I'm still plaing Soul Caliber but Luigi kept my attention for 3 days.....
    Says something if you ask me....That's why I asked what is the best console....TODAY

9. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    yep dreamcast has got some ace game shenmue kept me going for months i`ll never forget that game.anyway are you any closer to making your mind up.

10. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Edging towards PS2 at the moment.

11. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For "share games" ie games on all systems. Ihave noticed that IGN when doing a head to head comparison accross the 3 formats usually end up with
    1st place: x-box
    2nd- gamecube
    3rd - ps2
    This was true with rocky, spiderman, timesplitters2 etc...
    Although it does seems a close call with the cube xbox usually wins on graphics and sounds just.

The answer for ma however, as ive said before, lies solely in looking at each system and their EXCLUSIVE titles. ie which games do you want most that arent on any other system?

On this basis i bought a gamecube because of: exclusives with
    Mario Sunshine
    Metroid Prime
    Zelda
    Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2
    Resident Evil 4 (just announced and in full 3d)

However if your prefer GTA then you need a ps2. Personally i think the graphics are too choppy and load times long.

I dont really know many of the xbox exclusives other than halo im afraid.

Look at what exclusive games each system has and base it on that. Hope that helps

12. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    or if you want to play online & get beat by us lot get xbox:p

13. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tomb Raider is maker me errrr towards the PS2. Anyone know if it's coming out on another format.

14. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any on line games out yet?

15. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    well some lucky people are playing xbox live already.but we`ll have to wait abit longer march 14th is when it goe`s live.

16. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Eidos only have it listed for the PC and PS2. Given the last couple of Tomb Raider outings I am surprised it is a must have title :p

Nothing comes close to the original IMO.

I would have thought it would turn up on the other platforms, Eidos are not usually known for their major exclusive titles.

17. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now edging back towards a cube....Just managed to sort out what I think is a pretty decent deal in Dixons - Cube, 2 controlers, memory card, FIFA 2003 & Resie Evil - £198. Any good?

18. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    you change your mind more than often than a traffic light:D it sounds ok but have a look at toys"r"us as the have good deals.also try www.gameplay.co.uk

19. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's all well and good, but I have £200 of Dixons vouchers burning a hole in my pocket!!! They don't take them in Toys R Us or Game.....

20. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    sorry forgot that little point:blush:

21. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Honestly, some retailers these days!

I borrowed my mates PS2 for a week and couldn't believe the loading times, it drove me mad! I have a GC and IMHO it's possibly the best machine available, taking into account price, graphics, sound etc (i play mine through the TV, not an amp)

My mate has just sold his GC and is buying an XBox.....his reasons.....he knows someone that sells copied games for £3 a piece and can get a disk with loads of Super Nintendo games on for a fiver :eek:

I'm keeping my GC! :D

22. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,142
    "In our house" the Cube gets an 80/20 cut of playtime compared to Xbox, that doesn't mean the box is worse but we (me/bird...me/eldest son) like competition and the Cube seem's to have that covered so far!
    AB I'm surprised you've had all three and decided to get rid, just waiting for those "must have games" that would surely come along on every format would have had you hold out a little longer and would surely pay dividends in the end. :)

23. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm the original Mr Inpatient. Certainly looking at getting a cube this weekend sometime...

24. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All 'cubed up.:D

25. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    so did you get resie evil & fifa2003 or did ya get something else

26. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got something else - a bargain methinks. A black cube (to go with all my HC gear), 2 controllers, 2 controller extensions, an 8 meg memory card and 2 games - Rouge Leader and Bloody Roar. £100. 4 months old, with receipt and absolutly as new.:D :D :D :D

27. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    you jammy git:D