1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've got one of those Horses from Troy.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Logo Hater, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Don't know where I got it from, but one of them there Trojan Horses is prancing around in my computer somewhere, I can't find it anywhere, it is very reluctant to leave. I have performed numerous searches after updating the latest updates from Norton and have found and removed loads of stuff I didn't know I had. I naively believed with Norton Antivirus and Firewall installed and constantly updated that this couldn't happen. It proves that you are never too old to learn.

What I really don't understand is why it's main purpose seems to be to prevent me from choosing my own default page when I open Internet Explorer. Why on earth would anyone send out a virus who's main aim for existing is to do something so petty and irrelevant. It also seems to be overriding my Pop Up blocker as well, which is really annoying.

:suicide: :suicide: :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  3. Supernatural

Supernatural

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Try something like SpySweeper http://www.webroot.com/products/spysweeper/
    It says it can get rid of home page overriding programs etc.

There is an on-line scan and a free trial. Not sure what the trial gives you.
    PC Pro mag July has a 90 day evaluation version. From using it I think it is a bit overdramatic with its warnings but seems to have a big database of spyware.

Paul

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Just because they can. It's quite surprising how little it takes to get some of these dorks over excited and we can but live in hope that one day they will get themselves a life and possibly even discover girls instead and leave these juvenile pursuits behind.

5. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    If you're running Windows XP then i'd strongly recommend downloading Microsoft Anti-Spyware from here:-

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

It consistently seems to pick up more than Spybot/AdAware and will run in the bacground for you to offer you real time protection against this happening again. I expect you'll be surprised at the amount it picks up... :)

Oh, and it's free for now :)

K.

6. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
  7. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    if you kept to respectable parts of the intrernet that sort of thing doesn't happen its only when you go out to the "Wild West" parts that yiou get those kind of things. i got a few the other week :devil:

Gary

8. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I run Spybot and the MS version. They compliment each other. I don't mean that they say things like 'your hair looks nice' or 'you look pretty' because that would be ridiculous. I mean that between them they seem to sweep up all of the rubbish out there, with AVG anti virus of course.

Anyway, you shouldn't worry about horses on the screen, it shows that the operating system is stable.

9. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I fully agree... my reasons for suggesting the MS version were purely because of it's background scanning abilities which may help any future re-occurence :) I also run MS Anti Spyware alongside other software :)

K.

10. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Fingers crossed, it appears to have gone. Having said that I thought so a couple of hours ago, but it hadn't. Let's hope it got the message this time.

Anyway thanks to everyone who offered advise, I found a couple of the suggestions very useful.

The people on here are great and extremely helpful, I foe one am eternally grateful that I found this site all those many months ago.

Once again many thanks to all who helped. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: