I've got my E-1 today...

Mickle

..and I love it! :D

It's all be covered before but i'll chuck my opinion in too as there were a few things i'd have liked to have known.

Noise: The 360 add-on was pretty awful for me whenever it hit quiet moments in film and while the E-1 does have a fan it's very quiet and also low-pitched so it's not intrusive at all.

Picture quality: I wasn't actually expecting more detail than the 360 add-on but was pleasantly surprised at how there was more detail there was. I've set it to 720p as this seems to result in a better image than 1080i though I did read somewhere that Tosh recommend 1080i so maybe i'll have a another look later.

Sound quality: Haven't had time to fully test this so far as the player arrived at 8am and the neighbours (and the missus) wouldnt have been too chuffed with me giving it some King Kong at that time!

Firmware update: Went without a hitch. Took 40 mins or so.

Upscaling: Wasn't sure what to expect of this. It seems better than the Denon 2200 (non upscaling player) and SD DVD can actually look bright now whereas previously it all had a greyish haze to it.

Loading times: It isn't too bad at all. It's a bit laggy compared to DVD players with skipping chapters etc but that was expected. The worst is the initial boot up which has had me squatting by the player like a lemon a few times, HD-DVD in hand.:rotfl: However all I do now is switch the player on and then get the film. :thumbsup:

Err that's about all I can think of. Anyway sod this i'm going back for another play!:D

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Well done,good choice don't forget to get a claim in for your 2 free hd-dvd's from Toshiba.:thumbsup:

Got my E1 a couple of days ago and did the firmware upgrade,now just waiting for my 50" Samsung plasma to come tomorrow to hook it up and have a play.

Trevildo

Standard Member
Keeping thinking of buying one of these but keep stopping myself. work part time and pick up £450 a month, could stick it on the credit card with a few other things i have on there. I have a blu ray (ps3) but want a hd-dvd aswell and for the price its at right now seems well worth it.

Mickle

:thumbsup:
Well done,good choice don't forget to get a claim in for your 2 free hd-dvd's from Toshiba.:thumbsup:

Got my E1 a couple of days ago and did the firmware upgrade,now just waiting for my 50" Samsung plasma to come tomorrow to hook it up and have a play.

:rotfl: Filling in the form when you posted. Constantine and Bourne Supremacy should be with me soon :smashin:

Rom

Well done and welcome! I am exactly the same as you, have the add-on and then bought the E1 for all of the same reasons. Never looked back.

The only disappointment is that I don't have HDMI on the TV so I'm through component and it will not upscale Std DVD through component. And, of course, its region locked for Std DVD so no go for my US imports. Guess they will be played on the HTPC or the 360 :D

Smiffy 2

Good choice and glad you are enjoying it.

It's fun getting new stuff isn't it :smashin::smashin::smashin:

I'm waiting for a mate to pay me for my old A/V amp and DVD player, as soon as he does I will be buying one of these myself to compliment the new PS3.

OK I might miss out on the two free films offer, but my Missus would kill me if I went silly with the plastic

Enjoy

:D:D

enablerbro1

Keeping thinking of buying one of these but keep stopping myself. work part time and pick up £450 a month, could stick it on the credit card with a few other things i have on there. I have a blu ray (ps3) but want a hd-dvd aswell and for the price its at right now seems well worth it.
Wait till the 3rd gen players come out and you should be able to pick one up 2nd hand for £100, not that that's my plan. ;)

Mickle

Good choice and glad you are enjoying it.

It's fun getting new stuff isn't it :smashin::smashin::smashin:

I'm waiting for a mate to pay me for my old A/V amp and DVD player, as soon as he does I will be buying one of these myself to compliment the new PS3.

OK I might miss out on the two free films offer, but my Missus would kill me if I went silly with the plastic

Enjoy

:D:D

It sure is! :D

I think they'll just run another promotion for free films. I'm sure it helps shift units.

D

Deleted member 92943

Congrats mate :clap: I love my E1 too. Picture is top notch and come Tuesday i am going to order an onkyo 605 so i can get amazing HD sound too:smashin:

Ned Senior

Congrats mate :clap: I love my E1 too. Picture is top notch and come Tuesday i am going to order an onkyo 605 so i can get amazing HD sound too:smashin:

:hiya:
What amp are you using at present Lee??
It will be interesting to hear your views on the 605... could you not order sooner as it's a bit long to hold breath your timescale...(so exciting are these new goodies!!!!):D

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom