I've got either IR or Burn in and Im not sure which

berkeley384

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a 42 inch Panasonic GT30 , love it! Bloke in RS talked me into buying Plasma and Ive never looked back ..

Babied it for months, well over a year, had it set to auto switch off / lowered contrast etc - all the stuff they tell you to do ....

Now its got to have hundreds of hours on it and it still looks awesome, except now we have a baby and the Wife has left a kids TV show on (baby TV) and so I now have the logo in the top right hand corner of the screen! Ive seen her leave it on pause for an hour or two more than once, but never for a constant long period of time (like never 3+ hours etc). There is also evidence of the SKY pause logo in the bottom left corner :(

Ive run the"Wipe" for a few hours, snow for a couple of hours, multi colour screen slides for a couple of hours, and watched a few hours of TV on channels without logos .... Its still there. Sometimes I think its getting better - other times I think its just as bad as ever

Ive read, and Ive read and I've read and every thread on every forum just ends up in the OP never saying weather they sorted it because the Plasma haters come along and start with the usual cr*p about you should have bought an LED LCD or how you have to expect this....

Bottom line I suppose is, how likely is it that this will be permanent / how realistic is it to think that screen as new as mine is is highly unlikely to experience Burn in (as many people seem to be saying)

Thanks

If your contrast and sharpness levels are sensible as you state then I very much doubt it is screen burn.

You're probably not seeing an improvement as the IR is being topped up again daily by the kids' channels etc.

Can you set a zoom or turn overscan on (or off if you have on) so that the screen areas currently affected can have a 'rest'?

I had exactly the same problem with my VT50. My other half was watching one of the shopping channels with the over-sized phone numbers splashed across the bottom of the screen. God only knows how long she had left it on for, but low and behold I was left with the phone number and all of their logos sharply at the bottom of the screen. I tried EVERYTHING you can imagine. The built in scroller, Pixar movies on repeat and the pixel flipper on the Disney WOW disc. This went on for around a week and everything I tried only made the smallest impact.
I'm pleased to tell you though that over time it has cleared up and she no longer watches any of that shit on the plasma.

No experience of panny plasmas but when i got IR on my d8000 i had to run the scrolling bars for a good 24 hours , 2 or 3 hours didnt touch it. but when it was done i found it actually improved the PQ quite a bit expecially blacks.

I had exactly the same problem with my VT50. My other half was watching one of the shopping channels with the over-sized phone numbers splashed across the bottom of the screen. God only knows how long she had left it on for, but low and behold I was left with the phone number and all of their logos sharply at the bottom of the screen. I tried EVERYTHING you can imagine. The built in scroller, Pixar movies on repeat and the pixel flipper on the Disney WOW disc. This went on for around a week and everything I tried only made the smallest impact.
I'm pleased to tell you though that over time it has cleared up and she no longer watches any of that poop on the plasma.

Thats very encouraging - Thank You

I really love this TV, apart from a slight buzz its been awesome so I can only hope I get the same results you do !

Give it time mate and it will clear itself up. If you've got the Disney WOW disc, I do recommend that you run the pixel flipper for a good few hours. Even then though the results will be marginal. The built in scroller will probably help, but the flipper will work EVERY pixel. I can well imagine how you feel at the minute, but from someone with first hand experience with the same problem on the same TV.... It will clear! It's just bloody annoying.

You could also try running one of the Pixar blu-rays on repeat through the night (it's what I did). Cars is a good one to use. It all depends on how quick you want rid really.

Checking your feedback mate, it looks like your a stand up bloke. So, if you don't have the WOW disc, I'll lend you mine as long as you send it back.

I really hope you are right. And thank you for your very generous offer, I'm really tempted to take you up on it, but I'm shockingly disorganized and would keep forgetting to post it back! So probably best if I just stick to Pixar movies and the wipe function!

No worries. Just stick at it and it will eventually clear. I have to apologise after saying I have the same TV. I've got the TX-P65VT50, but in principal the remedy and outcome should be the same.

Alternatively you could just try it with the snow. Works pretty much the same as the pixel flipper, just not as intense. Try running it overnight a few times.

Many hours of Netflix and TV watched - Image is still there :( ...

..... getting on my nerves now

Have you got a PS3?
When I had plasma tvs and got bad IR the method I used to remove it was burn a song to the ps3 hard drive.
While playing the music make sure it was set to loop, press select twice to remove the song info on screen and leave it on the full screen colour pattern display. Turn down the volume and go to bed.
Make sure the tv isn't set to auto standby too.
This had always helped shift the most stubborn of IR. Though it can take a few tries to clear it all.

Yeah, it does take a while mate. From memory mine took well over a week to clear. Even then there were still signs.

Have you had the logo channel on since?

I had a slight issue with my F8500 with logos and IR and had a small faint logo patch top right. It cleared but I'd watch the same channels again and it kept coming back

Have you had the logo channel on since?

I had a slight issue with my F8500 with logos and IR and had a small faint logo patch top right. It cleared but I'd watch the same channels again and it kept coming back

Haha no Ive PIN locked it on sky so the Mrs can't put it on !

Insanity 202 - Thanks for the tip, Ill have a look at that - I do have a PS3.

Some days Im sure its fading, some days it seems as clear as ever..... Thinking about buying the WOW disc but the tight Yorkshireman inside me keeps telling me to just be patient and let general viewing do the work

If you can run A pc through the tv then use YouTube and run the image retention wipe videos.

Some days Im sure its fading, some days it seems as clear as ever..... Thinking about buying the WOW disc but the tight Yorkshireman inside me keeps telling me to just be patient and let general viewing do the work

If it looks or looked like it had actually been stencilled into the screen (as mine did), you'll know when it's beginning to clear because the edges of the image will start to look very rough (if that makes any sense).

Still there .....

Surely this is screen burn, the offending channel with the offending logo hasn't been on since I noticed it.

Many many hours of scrolling white bars and HD footage have been displayed but I can still see the baby TV logo in the corner, like a shadow or a smudge ..... I don't think it's ever going to go

Called Panasonic who said if it's still there now then it's screen burn!

I have a similar problem with one of my Kuros. Bought it secondhand on ebay and it has what appears to be a company name burned down one side of the screen. I messaged the seller and asked him if the name meant anything to him and he said yes, it was the name of the company he had sold the screen for. I told him about the burn and he tried to deny it was even visible at which point I pointed out if it wasn't visible then how the hell did I know the name of the company he'd got it from. Don't think he was the sharpest tool in the box! Sadly, a year or two down the line and it's still there.....in my case definitely burn and not IR but only noticeable on a universally pale screen so it doesn't really bother me now. I take it burn doesn't fade with time at all?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom