1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've got a ragged right edge (sometimes)!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Desert Rain, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Desert Rain

Desert Rain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On my new panny TX32PL10. It only seems to happen on some cable channels (telewest analogue) and is most odd.

It doesn't do it with DVD, VHS, PS2 or terrestrial input, so I figure it must be something to do with certain cable broadcasts. The only way to get rid of it on these channels is to force 16:9 and then the picture looks wrong anyway. It's as if the broadcast picture actually has a ragged right edge, which instead of being hidden slightly behind the black boarder of the tube is on display.

Has anyone else had a similar experience or got any ideas. At first I thought it must be a fault with the telly, but now I am not so certain
    :confused:

2. Desert Rain

Desert Rain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone??

3. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    I've seen this on the odd satellite broadcast. It's a minor side effect of the decryption process and is usually hidden by the overscan on the TV. Sounds like the TV may require slight adjustment.

4. Desert Rain

Desert Rain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers GaryB

That pretty much agrees with my own thoughts. I have requested an engineer to come and look at the set. I don't think that this is something that is user adjustable, so hopefully it is something that can be tweaked from inside. Otherwise the TV has a very good picture with none of the problems that have been reported here on these forums.

5. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    With most modern sets you can do this from the Service Menu. A hunt around here or the Web should find out how to get to it. If you're feeling brave you may want to have a go yourself.