1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ive got 1500..

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mekes82, Sep 24, 2005.

1. mekes82

mekes82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I didnt know where to post this as Im not sure whether I should buy a Plasma or LCD TV.

Ive saved up 1500GBP, cant really bring myself to spend any more on my new TV. (Been saving for a while) I know I wont be able to buy the best, but Id like the best HD ready screen I can get for that money. Im not really sure which makes I should be looking at, and what inputs the TV should have. Im hoping to take advantage of SkyHD and play PS3 and XB360 under HD settings.

Id like to at least have a 32", hoping for a 37" but I would rather take quality over size. Id also like for the TV to have a component input, for my Sega Dreamcast :smashin:

Im hoping to order on Monday, any help is very appreciated.

Thanks for reading :)

2. Grobnic

Grobnic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Consider a DLP TV my friend! £1500 will buy you 45"

3. mekes82

mekes82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I really would consider one, but the TV is for my bedroom. My room isnt too big so Im only a few meters away from the screen.

4. mekes82

mekes82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Sorry for the double post.

Ive just caught sight of a Panasonic LCD 32". It caught my attention because it comes with a stand lol.

Here it is.. http://shop.panasonic.co.uk/invt/tx32lxd500

How does this TV stack up?

Thankyou :)

5. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I'd point out the the connections you'll need for such devices.

Overall, you'll need at least a HDMI, a VGA and a Component connection. Might be wise to try and get one with a DVI-I to, that'll give you one extra connection to play with.

XBox 360 - You will be able to connect the XBox 360 to a VGA socket, or a DVI-I (DVI-I specifically, not DVI-D) with a simple adaptor. You may as well try and get a set that has both - heck why not?

PS3 - Said to have 2 HDMI outputs, so you'll need HDMI for that.

Nintendo Revolution - Component.

SkyHD - No-one really knows what this will require, though HDMI is expected.

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    why not want the best?

The 40" version of the Samsung, which is highly regarded on here is about £1600

the JVC 37" DS6 is under £1600 in several online stores

The Toshiba 37WT58 is also under £1600 in a few places. That one has 2xHDMI, handy for Sky HD and PS3 without needing a HDMI switcher down the line.

The 32" sony 'V' and panasonic 500 are both under £1500

So cinders, it seems you can go to the ball :)

7. DanDT

DanDT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Everyone's forgetting about the Hitachi 7200?? I still have to see a better performer, at that price. And you'll have change to spare from that one too.

8. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Bought one of these 2 months ago - it's bloomin' lovely! Working with my upscaling DVD player it produces loevly pix - but will show up defects on source material, i.e. S***e in and s***e out - watch one of the Asian channels on Sky and see what pixellation is all about. Switch to Channel 5 on Sky and behold - better.

Set has Freeview built in - which is not too bad. Sound is really great and extras contribute a lot - such as built in SD card for viewing pix direct from digital camera - or recording small tidbits to MPEG4 video on the card.

It also got top rating in 3 glossy tech mags - and is a joint winner in October's What Home Cinema mag (with Hitachi). Glad I bought it.

32" is also the biggest size I could shoehorn into the space!

H

9. DanDT

DanDT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    But the Hitachi is 500 quid cheaper :thumbsup:

10. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Maybe - but the Panny looks nicer and wasn't the Hitachi the set with the buzzing on some models - that put me off a little (well a lot)? I actually paid £1495 from Hi-fi Confidential.

H

11. mekes82

mekes82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Hi again guys

I've been a little more patient than I thought possible with choosing a TV. Im going to go have a look at a few this friday.

ShakeyJake, thanks very much for posting that info up. Its all new to me so its very much appreciated. Lets me know I had better choose a screen with enough sockets if I want full use of all the new technology I know I'll be buying!

Richard Plumb, the debate still goes on in my head! I guess I will find out if it would be in my interest to go for a 37" on friday. Would be nice, I just doubt I have enough room in my bedroom.

The Hitatchi screen recommended does look very good, and its nice to see somebody recommending one I have an interest in looking at. I'll also be trying to find a Samsung and Toshiba to have a look at. I guess it will be between these four. Thanks for filling me in on what I should be looking for guys. I'll post back with my thoughts and how I get on on friday.

Cheers :smashin: