I've found my PCH problem! (kind of)

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Hi all

Some of you may have read my despairing posts about the Popcorn Hour A110, with it juddering on various .ts rips - both streamed over my network and from the internal HDD.

It's been incredibly frustrating, but I think I've found (partly) the root cause of the problem. I've been convinced I'm ripping how it should be done, and it led me to buying another PCH to compare to mine (which was DOA)....I've got them both on an RMA, but the last 24 hours I've been tinkering again. And you know what? - I think I've almost solved the problem.

On another thread there were discussions about Cars, where several people have experienced problems. On the NMT forums another person mentioned they'd had problems, but only at a certain refresh rate i.e. 23.976hz.

For some reason it sparked an idea, so I started playing around with the settings on my PCH. I changed it to 1080p/60....and hey presto, all of a sudden those files which weren't playing now do:eek:

Wall*E was stuttering in exactly the same place, as was Hancock, and all of a sudden they're output properly on my plasma. Now it's not perfect: the scene where we see Wall*E moving amongst the junk from above still has the odd issue - he jerks a little across the ground and this is still annoying and still unacceptable....but for now I reckon I can live with it.

I have the Pio LX6090 plasma, which is a native 1080p/24 panel. However, the settings on the panel mean that even at a different refresh rate, it still corrects motion judder so this problem may only apply to me (or those who also have a Kuro). But it works...almost.

I'm wondering now if the PCH outputs 23.976 or 24hz correctly, because it's made all the difference on my setup. I also wonder if anything will be in the next firmware to make this more stable. It does seem, however, that the PCH can handle uncompressed BluRay rips:thumbsup:

Any thoughts?

I'm not 100% happy, more like 85%....but that's a big jump from yesterday's 0% :thumbsup:

acave

Must be something the Pioneer don't like then. Plays Fine at 23.976 into my Panasonic Plasma (Px80). I only tested a few files quickly but all played smooth.

It sounds like one unit is not doing the correct 3:2 pulldown correct. Try pausing a file then restarting. I'm going to upload a video of my HDI Prime stuttering over component you can see if this is what you're seeing. I will let you know when I upload it.

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Must be something the Pioneer don't like then. Plays Fine at 23.976 into my Panasonic Plasma (Px80). I only tested a few files quickly but all played smooth.

It sounds like one unit is not doing the correct 3:2 pulldown correct. Try pausing a file then restarting. I'm going to upload a video of my HDI Prime stuttering over component you can see if this is what you're seeing. I will let you know when I upload it.

Doesn't work pausing then re-starting, but 1080p/60 seems to work well with the Pio with none of the old problems present :)

acave

Viewing on a 50" plasma I'd want 23.976/24hz to work as well. I love the smoothness. I'm sure it will soon.

With all your sources you need a scaler lol

Are you going through the HDMI port on the 875 or HDMI directly to the Plasma?? Might be worth trying both at 24hz

Geesus

You're not gonna like this Smurfin, but I too have a Pioneer and as you know, no problems with stuttering! :rotfl:

Have you tried selecting Purecinema mode 'advance' in the picture options while leaving the PCH outputting at 1080p/60Hz?

Geesus

Smurf, can you give me a time-stamp of where you are having Wall-e problems. I'm gonna borrow a copy and see if I can emulate them with my own ripping method.

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
You're not gonna like this Smurfin, but I too have a Pioneer and as you know, no problems with stuttering! :rotfl:

:rotfl:

Have you tried selecting Purecinema mode 'advance' in the picture options while leaving the PCH outputting at 1080p/60Hz?

I had my panel ISF'd a while back, so not sure what this is set at. I'll double check with my calibrator.

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Smurf, can you give me a time-stamp of where you are having Wall-e problems. I'm gonna borrow a copy and see if I can emulate them with my own ripping method.

I'll have a look tonight mate :)

Played quite a few discs last night, it does seem on the odd title there's an occasional bit of judder or a frame drop, but I'm not sure if I'm seeing things now as I'm looking too hard...almost gave me a headache I was watching so intently :suicide:

Loada

I too have a Pio 5090 and a PCH110. I've done most of my PCH testing with a (complete, untouched) "rip" of Dark Knight via a mini Buffalo external USB HDD, formatted to NTFS and plugged in the PCH's front USB socket and I have the PCH set to 1080p/23.967. I've not noticed any problems with stuttering - I *do* have PureCinema set to ADVANCED, Dot-to-Dot (1:1) mode ON (and DriveMode 2, not that it matters for 24p?). Also, that's with the TrueHD track playing, not that it should make any difference.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom