1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've finally spent some cash!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bertha, Oct 3, 2002.

1. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    After months of deliberating and umming and aahing - I got my dusty old wallet out & bought 2 pairs of the rather lovely Kef Q1's (front & rear) atacama stands & the Kef Q9c centre..got a demo in the Edinburgh Sound & Vision shoppy in the grassmarket - nice shop with decent helpful staff I even managed to haggle the price down a bit..

All I need to do now is get my wife drunk & tell her how much I've just spent...

:D

Berth

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,133
    First rule of HT addiction, when discussing purchases with wife Kit always cost 3/4 less than actual price you paid. Car Mot always costs 3 times the actual price to cover up the missing funds.(helps if you are mates with the garage owner and get him to write a bogus reciept.);)

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    words of wisdom. I am yet in training for application at a later date........:D

ad

4. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Berth,
    Why don't you just under value everything like the rest of us.
    My wife thinks speakers cost £20 and CRT projectors cost £100.

5. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Welcome to the world of Home Cinema Bertha,as Uncle eric says the good ladies of all of us, think it really is some cheap hobby we have here ;) just remember to downsize the origimal cost of your purchase to apease the good lady,but do not let them meet others,this causes them to figure out such scams,and then you have to downsize again because you know they know,etc,etc :D

6. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately, my Wife knows how much this stuff costs, we now have an agreement, I upgrade something, she upgrades something, the trouble is, since setting up my HC room it's cost me a conservatory and a new extension+kitchen :eek:

Now I want to upgrade my PJ to a BG808s I'm guessing she's going to want a piece of carbon that's been heated up, crushed beyond all recognition, left to cool for a few millenia, dug up, cut and polished and set in a nice circular piece of gold :p :clown:

Steve

7. StJonno

StJonno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My missus helped me pay for my stuff, she said we dont go on fancy holidays but we do like our films lets get new speakers, amp and a projector, so we did

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so who here spends the wife's earnings?! Id be interested to know how they wangled it! :D

ad

9. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ive always found that once she (the cats mother) sees the improvement in her soaps shes always pleased with my upgrades. I was allowed a prologic amp on the basis of coronation street (a while ago now). I got the thumbs up for a projector on the strength of watching eastenders on a works one.

The hard one to justify was the Dolby digital upgrade, but the universal remote that came with it swung it(! mmm means I will never be able to justify a pronto). And finally Sky was only accepted after she discovered UK style.

Unforetunately speakers had to come out of my pin money which meant I couldnt drink for a few months, but the rest came out of housekeeping!!!!!

Women are from Venus and men are from Mars.

10. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm in the middle of buying my first serious hifi/HT set now (building it to last, BTW, not planning to upgrade every 2 or 3 years), and when my dad heard how much I spent on my new stereo amp last week, he said: 'It's a good thing you're doing this when you're still living on your own, when you live together you'll never get away with it.' :)

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Your wife was telling me about that new Jean Paul Gaultier dress that she had picked up recently for a bargain £50.