1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've finally joined the LCD ranks...

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Samurai303, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Samurai303

Samurai303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    After much reading and deliberation I've finally gone and bought my TV.

I was originally going to get the Panasonic TX32LXD500 which I got quoted at £1550 from my local shop@Panasonic but they had no idea when they were going to get stock. Had a look in the Sony Centre at the KDLV32A12U but they wouldn't budge from £1799.00 and I wasn't paying that.

In the end I settled on an LG 32LX2R that was on manager's special at Comet for £960 as it was a pre-sold item. Having seen it running the HD demo in Currys, this set was always in the back of my mind anyway so when it was available almost £600 less that the TX32LXD500 it kind of chose itself. I look at it this way, the LG may not be the "best" model available ATM, but it is certainally up to the job and the £600 saving is £600 + interest down on the next great thing in 2-3 yrs time :)

The sales droid also added in a Monster HTS800 surge protector for no charge (admittedly I did take a 3 yr Warranty on the TV - perhaps he took pity on me) which was nice. When he was trying to sell me one I mentioned I already had a Belkin on order to which he replied "they're not very good" (or words to that effect. Is there any truth in that?

Just waiting for my Oppo now to complete the set.

Chris

2. stu1wyatt

stu1wyatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hi Chris,

I also pruchased this set, I went through exactly the same dilema's as you with the panasonic and Sony.

The LG also has DVI & HDMI connectors where as the other two only have a HDMI connection, I think the Panasonic also has a VGA connector.

I've been playing with mine yesterday and I'm very impressed, whats the quality on yours with DVD's & Sky?

It runs really well with a PC hooked up to it.

3. Samurai303

Samurai303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Not having any PC input other than the HDMI was another thing that put me off the Sony as well as the price. My Oppo DVD player (which was shipped today by the looks of it :) ) will go on the HDMI with the PC on the DVI. Sky HD when it arrives will have to fight it out with the PC and DVD, although I would assume there will be switch boxes available (if not already).

As far as quality goes DVD is good and should be even better when I get the Oppo, Sky is quite hit and miss depending on the source. For instance, I was watching the BBC news this lunchtime and the PQ on the local segment (Look North) seemed far better than the main bulletin. Nothing is that bad it is not watchable though. Normal TV comes via an old ntl analogue cable box and is no worse that it was on my old CRT.

If you really want to see what the set is capable of, download some of the HD trailers that are about and play them on the PC. Some examples are here and here