1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've finally gone and done it

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bob007, Dec 15, 2002.

1. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it's taken me the best part of a year but I have finally got a full matching 6.1 system.

Polk Audio:

Fronts L/R RT600i's
    Centre CS400i
    Surrounds F/X500i's
    Surround Back RT25i

Just thought I would post my findings as it may help others when thinking about purchasing speakers/packages, also a mention on Direct radiating/Di/Bi-poles for surrounds and positioning of the surrounds/surround backs.

I started with the Polk floorstanders and Polk centre giving preference to the front soundstage, I was on a budget like so many of us and couldn't afford the full system, I already had a pair of Tannoy MX2's for the surrounds so decided the quickest and cheapest way was to buy another pair for the surround backs, at least the back soundstage was the same even though it didn't match the front. I then found the centre (CS245) was being out classed by the main fronts so I upgraded to the much larger centre, in fact I was more worried that the centre would outclass the mains, the CS400i is a monster, weighing in at 30lbs, but it's size and weight only helped it to make all the difference, when I played the test tones across the front the sound from each speaker was now identical so I knew this was to be a better match. The proof would be when listening to a movie, especially dialogue, there's nothing worse than having dialogue lacking in depth from the centre then it sounding like James Earl Jones from the mains. So after a few demos I sat back in the knowledge that I had chosen the right speaker this time as there was no tonal change when listening to dialogue/cars/trucks/planes etc when it's being steered through any of the front speakers.

This just left the rears, I started with the surrounds so at least when I was listening to 5.1 the system would match, I wanted to choose the right speakers for this (having learnt my lesson earlier with the centre speaker), so I looked mainly at the drivers and selected the ones that were the perfect match to the fronts, this was so that any soundtrack with steering from front to back, back to front etc there wouldn't be noticeable change in the sound tonally. The results were perfect. The system was coming together nicely. :D

Only the surround backs to go and this was where I started to get confused, do I swap the surrounds and place them at the back for the surround back duties and buy a pair of Di/Bi-poles for the surrounds, or just buy another pair of RT25i's and be done with it. There has been a lot of discussion just recently on the subject of Di/Bi/Tri-poles, some love them, some loathe them, so I decided to give them a demo, I was pleasantly surprised, not the mish mashie sound I always thought they would produce but the F/X500i's gave a very clean sound just what I was looking for. The clip from Twister did it for me, listening on my system with the RT25i's the sound of the wind whistling round the room tended to be coming from two open windows to the left and right of me and not all around, but with the F/X500i's you were sat right in the middle of the tornado. These speakers have the option to produce a more direct sound if needed, maybe for music, all you have to do is switch them to Bi-pole, I listen to music via Direct/Stereo so for me I can't see me switching it to any other setting apart from Di-pole for the time being anyway. Now to my last decision, shall I use a single speaker like I am doing at the moment or a pair of speakers like I have done in the past for the surround backs? I still have the same view on this, if the pair are being feed the same mono signal and have to be positioned just about on top of each other why bother with a pair so I have stuck with the single surround back for now, at least I won't have to spend more money upgrading as I have the other extra speaker when 7.1 does finally arrive.

Saturday night was the first time we were able to sit down and watched a movie on the completed system, Sum of all Fears was the choice; all I can say is WOW! Such a difference, everything just blends in, you can really tell the difference from a full matching speaker system to one that has been put together from different manufacturers.

As for the positioning, the surrounds which are in Di-pole mode are on the side walls approx 90cm above ear level when seated and level with the listening position, the surround back is directly behind the seating position approx 2m, it is slightly higher than the surrounds and I have also angled it downwards very slightly.

Yes it has taken the best part of a year to get to this stage but it has been worth it. :D

2. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well done,

sounds like a nice system :)

I've still got some horrible old floorstanders for the rears and no centre so a long way to go yet :)

Dave

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dave.

If you have the will power to wait it is well worth it. I could have bought a full system with the money I paid out for the fronts, but upon hearing the Polks I decided that a full system with these in my room was what I was really after, so for once I was determined to wait, the year went fairly quick, being on the forums passed the time. :D

Forgot to mention, to complement the Polks I bought a Velodyne CHT-15, all these are run by a Denon 3801.

Next addition will be a Rotel 1085, roll on the next 365 days. :)

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse the xmas decorations.

Attached Files:

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cover on

Attached Files:

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cover off.

Attached Files:

7. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going to try the two surround backs, but will have to wait till after all the decorations are down, (missus started to object strongly, something to do with the dust from drilling :( ) plus the sub had to be moved to make way for the bloody christmas tree, want to get that back into the right position before I start with sound tests.

Attached Files:

• sb.jpg
      sb.jpg
      Size:
      5.7 KB
      Views:
  8. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eat your heart out all you Pro50/Servo 15 owners. :p

The much talked about and respected sub, the Velodyne CHT-15. :D

Attached Files:

9. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very nice Bob. Neat install as well. Fancy a lodger for xmas :D

10. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    hi bob007
    where do you position your sub
    thanks gonzo

11. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Learnt all my DIY skills off those blokes on the telly, those "Big Strong Boys". :D

Pop in, you will be well looked after, we have plenty to eat and drink.

The sub is in the other alcove to the left of the TV, we are thinking of having the chimney breast knocked out, then we will have a flat wall approx 22' to play with, won't be so cramped up.

12. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a gent. Have a lovely xmas Bob

13. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Eric, best wishes to you and the family, hope you have a great new year as well. ;)

14. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    Pro50 and Servo 15 uttered in the same breath? LMAO, oh man you have a sense of humour;)

15. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    btw nice set-up matey....:)

16. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now all you need is a room where you can place the speakers properly... ;)

17. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh, similar to how you have yours. :p [​IMG]

18. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never thought of that... hmmm... :rolleyes:

19. Geoffrey Shrek

Geoffrey Shrek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats true. The Pro 50's are reliable :D

20. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    (puts head on block)

I have to say that all this Servo is crap Velodyne are wonderful stuff is an absolute bloody nonsense and not what the purpose (or spirit) of these forums are designed for.
    I wonder how many Velodyne owners have actually listened to anything else (than perhaps the odd REL or PRO-A) and indeed have been sold a product without even listening to it (laughable/amatuerish!!).
    This sort of thing is mis-information and i tend to think that alot (but not all of course) of these posts are by people who should perhaps try to understand a little more about a subject before making definitive statements.

Steve

21. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    For the record i have spent time with perhaps 25 - 30 subs.

Steve

22. Harold Corbet

Harold Corbet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then you should know M&K make the best :D

23. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The original post was about someone's Polk installation that happened to include a Velodyne subwoofer. One or two light hearted comments have been made since, but it is only your post that is not in the spirit of the forums.

I speak as the owner of one of your "odd RELs"

24. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bet your bird loves that!....

Trouble is, there's not enough room in a bed for a Servo 15 , you & a young lady.....These bed manufacturers need to start thinking about us sub owners......

Adzman...

25. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy one of those american beds that vibrate... ;)

26. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Or just buy a normal bed and stick an HGS-18 under it.:rolleyes:

27. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or if you really want the earth to move, try putting it on one of these! :devil:

28. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hmmmm, could be dangerous if you’re watching a bluey:eek: :eek: